Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Hello friends.

A lot of the buzz in Fast Food today is about Chicken Sandwiches. As well it ought to be! The Chicken Sandwich may well be the king of the fast food menu. Often overshadowed by it's sometimes too flashy for it's own good older brother, the Hamburger, or the immature younger siblings Nugg and Tendie, the Chicken Sandwich strikes the perfect blend of versatility, variety, and reliability. You can get a whole rear end meal, cooked all manner of different ways, between two slices of bread, with a panoply of sauces, salads, and other daring accoutrement, and you'll usually get it for less than a fiver. Any fast food joint that can't put together a decent chicken sandwich is immediately suspect, but very few actually transcend "decent", into being a true titan of the genre. For a long time, the king of the hill was either the Wendy's Spicy Chicken, or Chick-fil-a's briny classic, but recently, Popeye's has stepped into the Chicken Sandwich game and put the entire world on notice that this is the field upon which the fast food war of our era is being fought.

And the Popeye's sandwich is very good! Certainly the best sandwich I have readily available near me in New York.

But I am a man of the world. I have travelled far and wide. I have eaten many chicken sandwiches. And I am here to tell you that the PINNACLE of the fast food chicken sandwich, is sold by ROYAL FARMS, a gas station chain based primarily in Maryland, but with outlets in Southeastern PA, Southern New Jersey, Delaware, and Virginia as well.

Now, Royal Farms is famous for their Fried Chicken. If you walk into any given RoFo (as it's known by true insiders), you'll see an open kitchen area with the sort of maybe sad looking steam trays/heat lamp case full of fried chicken that you might expect in any given 'hood fried chicken shop. You might not be expecting to find what Food and Wine Magazine has called the Best Gas Station Food in America. But it's there. There will also be some very sad potato wedge fries. Do not order them. They will probably be soggy.

The Fried Chicken is very good. Excellent even. But we're here to talk about the Sandwich. In front of the aforementioned case, you'll see touchscreen ordering panels. Think Wawa or Sheetz. What you're gonna do is sidle up to one of those, and you're gonna hit the sandwich button, and you're going to order a Hand Pulled Chicken Sandwich. There's a few handy preconfigured options, but you're free to customize it however you like. I'm a simple man, and often simply opt for some sauce. But do you! Go wild! You will also be asked to select Dark Meat or White Meat. As any true connoisseur of Fried Chicken knows, the correct answer is always Dark Meat. What's going to happen then, is that someone on the other side of that case is going to take two whole-rear end thighs of Fried Chicken. And they are going to shred every last ounce of meat and delicious breaded skin off of the bones of those two chicken thighs. And they are going to pile all of that meat high on a Martin's Potato Roll, aka the S-Tier of all sandwich bread. Then they will add anything else you have asked them to put on your sandwich, take the other half of that sandwich roll, and COMPRESS that bitch down until it screams for mercy, and wrap it in the sandwich spanx that is a neat square of deli paper with a piece of tape to hold everything shut. While they are doing this, you will be handing a cashier a ludicrous mere FIVE DOLLARS in anticipation of the nirvana that soon awaits. They will then call your number. And you will eat the best fast food fried chicken sandwich in America if not the world.

That is all.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Here is the original announcement video that RoFo put out when launching this sandwich several years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgRsuuL2gX8

Here are some pictures of this champion of sandwiches:

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 6, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Looks pretty fuggin good not gonna lie. Unlikely to find myself out east though.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Any videos available of them hand-pulling the chicken? I want to observe the technique.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Doin' the lords work in here.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I'm glad of this thread. I never had the sandwich but yeah they have the best friend chicken i ever eaten in my life

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I know where one is and have gone by it and rather than "always wanting to try it out" I was much more "who cares" about it. Had no idea they sold some of the best food.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Any videos available of them hand-pulling the chicken? I want to observe the technique.

Just grab and pull. Just like your dick, but less greasy.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
ROFO!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Will have to try this. I'm not down with their fried chicken, found it to be incredibly salty in the two locations I tried it (Aramingo in Phila, and in Brooklawn, NJ). It was hot, it was fresh - just salty.

This sounds much better, will advise.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Posting this thread has left me with a craving that is not going away. I am going to end up driving 4 hours round trip for a loving gas station chicken sandwich sometime in the next few weeks, aren't I?

youre
Dec 30, 2019

does the TWGCS start with TWG Chicken? because then it's just about the chicken. Or is it about the alchemy, architecture and art of the sandwich itself

youre
Dec 30, 2019

CaptainPsyko posted:

Posting this thread has left me with a craving that is not going away. I am going to end up driving 4 hours round trip for a loving gas station chicken sandwich sometime in the next few weeks, aren't I?

or you can just eat human flesh

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

youre posted:

does the TWGCS start with TWG Chicken? because then it's just about the chicken. Or is it about the alchemy, architecture and art of the sandwich itself

It’s about both.

The chicken is excellent, but also, the specific methodology, of taking a whole on the bone chicken thigh, tearing off all of the meat and skin and breading, and making it into a sandwich is, quite frankly, a revelation, compared to other fried chicken sandwiches.

youre
Dec 30, 2019

CaptainPsyko posted:

It’s about both.

The chicken is excellent, but also, the specific methodology, of taking a whole on the bone chicken thigh, tearing off all of the meat and skin and breading, and making it into a sandwich is, quite frankly, a revelation, compared to other fried chicken sandwiches.

it might stand to reason that the master who invests his passion into TWGC would apply that same dedication to TWGCS..I'm going to Maryland in April. Thank you goon...

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

youre posted:

it might stand to reason that the master who invests his passion into TWGC would apply that same dedication to TWGCS..I'm going to Maryland in April. Thank you goon...

You gotta find the right royal farms though they vary based on employee stoned-ness. Red eyes that’s gunna be some good chicken, clear and you’re hosed

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

this is genius and I'm quite sad I don't live near them.

This looks so delicious and it also answers the "dark meat is better why aren't places frying that instead?" question (https://www.eater.com/2020/1/9/21057348/fried-chicken-sandwich-mania-popeyes-chick-fil-a-dark-meat)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

youre
Dec 30, 2019

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

You gotta find the right royal farms though they vary based on employee stoned-ness. Red eyes that’s gunna be some good chicken, clear and you’re hosed

good lookin out HGB

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Man I wish we had Royal Farms down here. I think the closest is in PG. God, Royal Farms chicken plus the Old Bay sauce was my go-to on trips to the Eastern Shore.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Looks like I'll have to give this a try on my next trip to Annapolis.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
the regular chicken box is good too, make sure to get it with western fries and some half and half

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

the regular chicken box is good too, make sure to get it with western fries and some half and half

CaptainPsyko posted:

There will also be some very sad potato wedge fries. Do not order them. They will probably be soggy.

The gulf in quality between the main event and RoFo’s hot sides makes in and out fries look downright enjoyable.

Just get a bag of chips from the amply stocked grocery section of the store.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

CaptainPsyko posted:

The gulf in quality between the main event and RoFo’s hot sides makes in and out fries look downright enjoyable.

Just get a bag of chips from the amply stocked grocery section of the store.

They've always been good at the one i go to I think some places cut them too big.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

They've always been good at the one i go to I think some places cut them too big.

As someone who has been to a few dozen locations, you are getting lucky and should treasure this. Your rofo is an extreme outlier.

Just get a bag of chips everyone else.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

CaptainPsyko posted:

As someone who has been to a few dozen locations, you are getting lucky and should treasure this. Your rofo is an extreme outlier.

Just get a bag of chips everyone else.

"The Crab chip"

I'm still sad the cross street market in south baltimore got all upgraded, you could get a good chicken box with livers but now rofo will have to do

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Where can I get chicken with livers I am visiting my brother in CT and wanna drive south. It will take a month and I want to know where I can get that in Baltimore

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

sports posted:

Where can I get chicken with livers I am visiting my brother in CT and wanna drive south. It will take a month and I want to know where I can get that in Baltimore

Greenmount fried chicken is my favorite but that’s way up north from downtown and it’s a little rough there but parks in Lexington market is alright and so is Hip Hop fish and chicken

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I’ve been to hip hop it’s a good chicken joint

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Exit 74 on I-95 in Maryland is the centerpoint of Mid-Atlantic convenience stores. At that exit you can find a Wawa, Sheetz, Royal Farms, and 7-11 all within close proximity of each other.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you want to compare chicken sandwiches there's also a Popeyes at that exit too. And Wendy's and Chick-fil-A are close by. All those and the convenience stores can be found within a circle 5 miles in diameter roughly centered on Exit 74.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I had a weird moment a few years ago when I suddenly thought "Wait...shouldn't it be Rofa?"

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I’m going to majorly inconvenience myself to try one of these sandwiches thanks to this thread.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

RF is pretty good I eat their chicken sometimes when I'm under contract away from home and can't get chicken at the couple local gas stations where I live with better chicken.

They have drat good chicken tenders too.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Rofo commercial on tv right now

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Looks like I'll have to give this a try on my next trip to Annapolis.

hey get me one too mr. Annapolis-traveling bigshot

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
poo poo, whenever I visit my parents I always stop at Sheetz, I guess I'll have to seek out a Royal Farms now instead :negative:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

As soon as I saw the title I knew it had to be about Royal Farms. I'm a little sad we don't have any in MoCo but they have just built/are building a couple out in Laurel.
The ones I used to go to out in Harford county always had good potato wedges.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

yikes! posted:

hey get me one too mr. Annapolis-traveling bigshot

You might have to wait a couple years.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I dont remember seeing any Royal Farms when I lived in SE PA. I was in MontCo though, which doesnt have any according to google maps

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I dont remember seeing any Royal Farms when I lived in SE PA. I was in MontCo though, which doesnt have any according to google maps

:(

Royal Farms are slowly seeping into the area to challenge Wawa, which Sheetz will never do. The line moves further north every year, inexorably. Someday all Pennsylvanians will be able to get first class fried chicken 24/7.