Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I am one of those weirdos that hogs up the aguas frescas at these places, because horchata has been a taste of southern california for so long.

I also really enjoy hot salsas and want to see who has their own unique salsas, and which are the copycat recipes (the tomatillo salsas at like 4-5 different chains all taste the same.)

And there are a few places I also enjoy that i want to give a shout-out

https://www.luchalibretacoshop.com/

Lucha Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, is one of my favorite places, I haven't been in years, but one of my favorite promotions was when they had experimental burritos and had a punch card. There was one that was very spicy and was this weird mix of steak and chorizo, and that's something I really love - variety.

https://www.tacolibre.co/menu

Taco Libre in Pasadena is also a favorite of mine, because it's in this weird alleyway, and it closes at midnight on fridays and saturdays, and sometimes, when I am just in that sad, lonesome place, I just like to walk over there and enjoy a few tacos, it's the perfect "near a rainstorm restaurant" for me, and brings good memories.

https://www.kingtaco.com/index.html

And finally, King Taco, one of those chains that you can't miss here in Southern California, but don't tell anybody, my guilty pleasure is actually the nachos here. lots of variety of toppings. I like to play it offal, with Cabeza, Lengua, Buche and just because, we need to have a party sometimes, Suadero. (But you know your steak and chicken basics are always there, and the rotisserie chicken is also pretty good as well)

https://www.trejostacos.com/

I would say more about Trejos Tacos, because Danny Trejo is a living legend, but I honestly have never been to one except the one in Woodland Hills, and it was either very empty, or I went at a bad time. I wish there was more to really say, except, what I do enjoy about this place is the vegan option (Jackfruit was really good) and they have a Mushroom one as well. Nothing wrong with going vegan at this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can't leave out Arturo's Puffy Taco in Whittier.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FogHelmut posted:

Dang these look good. Are they kinda chewy like a taco bell chalupa or are they crispy/airy?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

I aint mad at these

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m kinda pissed Cactus blew up because now that they have multiple locations they raised their prices.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Machaca is the best and there’s nothing else to say

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Machaca is the best and there’s nothing else to say

The ultimate scramble meat.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm not so goony that I'm willing to pay $5 of assorted fees and tips for a $7 burrito for the privilege of having someone bring it to my home.

same

Edit: poo poo I did undergrad in Whittier and that place didn’t exist then, we always had to go to awesome hole in the walls full of norteño dudes that gave us dirty looks at 1am.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

TelevisedInsanity posted:

https://www.luchalibretacoshop.com/

Lucha Libre Taco Shop in San Diego, is one of my favorite places, I haven't been in years, but one of my favorite promotions was when they had experimental burritos and had a punch card. There was one that was very spicy and was this weird mix of steak and chorizo, and that's something I really love - variety.

This place gets a lot of hate in San Diego for some odd reason. Even friends of mine dont like this place and then there are others that love it. Its weird...

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

This place gets a lot of hate in San Diego for some odd reason. Even friends of mine dont like this place and then there are others that love it. Its weird...

Same. My guess is that it's a lil TOO gourmet for some people. Plus, lets be honest, it aint cheap. I had one friend order a pollo cali burrito and asked for no pico or sauce and then complained the burrito was dry. :wtc: I was like..."No poo poo it's dry you took out everything but the chicken and potatoes."

His rational was that, "At the taco shop at 2am I order the same thing and it's moist!"
and I'm like, "That's grease!"

>:^(

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Dang these look good. Are they kinda chewy like a taco bell chalupa or are they crispy/airy?

Crispy and greasy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Carne asada fries are like my favorite thing in the world right now

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I mean everything is cheap down there. I do miss those street dawgz and going down for lobster fest. Getting off topic, have you been to the telefonica already and hit up the stalls there yet? I hear many good things
It's okay, but to be honest it isn't anything you can't already find in the states. If you want trendy food trucks and craft beer, then it'll do. Living in TJ, I welcome a bit of variety to the local palate, but it's just as easy to cross the border into San Diego if there's something I'm specifically looking for.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

It's because they're overpriced, gimmicky tacos and burritos. They're pretty good but you can definitely do better in San Diego.

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 23, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Señor Bajas isn’t cheap and isn’t good but dang if it doesn’t hit the spot sometimes.

Their Ensenada style fish tacos have bigger pieces of fish than I ever got in Ensenada. And shrimp. Shrimp for days.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Late night burrito check!

Surf n turf baby!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Got the Kogi truck last night, their menu is Korean/Mexican fusion, I ended up getting their spicy pork burrito and a couple of chicken tacos. Highly recommended if you’re ever in LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hnz8x7gEjQ

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 23, 2020

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Got the Kogi truck last night, their menu is Korean/Mexican fusion, I ended up getting their spicy pork burrito and a couple of chicken tacos. Highly recommended if you’re ever in LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hnz8x7gEjQ
I've wanted to try Kogi for the longest time but the lines always look insane. How long as the wait?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

worth noting that Kogi has their own place if you don't want to track down a truck:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/kogi-taqueria-los-angeles

they also serve Kogi food at the Alibi room:

http://www.alibiroomla.com/eat/

Both are in westside LA

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

liquid courage posted:

I've wanted to try Kogi for the longest time but the lines always look insane. How long as the wait?

We went to the truck that pulls up on La Brea at like 9:30 in the evening so the line’s usually short. We got there and there were two people in line and two groups of four already waiting for their food. From getting there and waiting in line to actually receiving our food I’d say we were there less than 15/20 minutes total.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Any good 24 hour places in the Corona area? That one by the Magnolia offramp is honestly pretty bad.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

worth noting that Kogi has their own place if you don't want to track down a truck:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/kogi-taqueria-los-angeles

they also serve Kogi food at the Alibi room:

http://www.alibiroomla.com/eat/

Both are in westside LA
Nice, had no idea they had a brick & mortar in Palms. Gonna check that out the next time I'm in LA.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

went to kogi in palms. it was packed when i got there, got a korean short rib burrito and a chicken taco. pretty good, the bulgogi got salty as hell pretty quickly and the chicken taco was alright. i also tried a chicken quesadilla and their short rib sliders and they were also salty as hell. the short ribs are tasty but good god are they salty. glad i tried it, would probably just get bulgogi tacos or a kimchi quesadilla next time.

went to mazateño in tijuana recently, it was pretty good, but my girlfriend says they used to be better. the specialty of this place is shrimp tacos. the tacos were pretty good, the breaded shrimp was a tad soggy but they give you a ton of it and i always eat tacos with everything on them so these both have shredded cabbage, a garlicy salsa that wasn't particularly spicy and pico de gallo. i've had better, but i can't complain because it's fairly cheap. the spicy shrimp taco has cheese on it and honestly, i thought it was considerably better. these were about 60 pesos a piece, so a little over $3 US per. not bad overall but you can find better shrimp tacos in ensenada.

and finally, one of my favorite places to get street food in tijuana: quesaburros on avenida aguacaliente. as the name suggests, they sell quesaburros: a burrito (in this case, shredded pork and bean) wrapped in a quesadilla, pictured below with their green salsa which is spicy and delicious. this is one of the perfect street foods and i could honestly eat these until i puke. this place is across the street from a high school, which has barred windows to keep students from ordering quesaburros during class. they're like 30 pesos a pop and you're a fool if you leave tj without trying these.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

What’s the deal with Alberto’s tacos anyway? Why are they not all named the same and don’t all use the same logo? Are there bootleg versions of Alberto’s? Some will be named like “alerto tacos” or “alibertos tacos” but the logo is always some variation of a dude in a sombrero and the food seems the same.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I've been on an asada fries fiend. My spot has been Pepe's in Alhambra. I kind of liked the balance and freshness the pico brings to the Carne Asada Fries versus the Nacho Fries (which you can do with other meats).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
COVID hasn't stopped Burritos Luna in Imperial Beach from operating 24/7, just FYI.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Class Warcraft posted:

What’s the deal with Alberto’s tacos anyway? Why are they not all named the same and don’t all use the same logo? Are there bootleg versions of Alberto’s? Some will be named like “alerto tacos” or “alibertos tacos” but the logo is always some variation of a dude in a sombrero and the food seems the same.

Well in Arizona for a while, if the stories I have been told were true, the two big chains were actually apparently competing brothers (Filbertos and Los Betos), starting as a split between the Phoenix and Tucson areas but then expanding into each other's territory and beyond. This could be all drunk person bullshit but I've heard the story from persons in different friendgroups.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

skooma512 posted:

I've been on an asada fries fiend. My spot has been Pepe's in Alhambra. I kind of liked the balance and freshness the pico brings to the Carne Asada Fries versus the Nacho Fries (which you can do with other meats).

I always go to Alfredo's in El Monte but those look dope and I think I"m gonna try them out next time I get a hankering.

Also seconding Kogi and King Taco. King Taco has THE BEST lengua out there. So loving good.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Class Warcraft posted:

It's like some weird licensing thing where they don't want to use the alberto's name anymore but they're still in business so they just change the name slightly and *bam* knockoff Albertos

There's two competing Alberto's knockoff restaurants in San Bernardino that are right across the street from each other and they keep changing their names every few years

https://www.pe.com/2013/05/31/region-alberto8217s-name-changes-confuses-customers/

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There's an Albertaco's over here.

I've seen a lot of Jilbertos along the 15.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Someone finally wrote a story about it: https://tucson.com/news/local/tim-s...e272cc3668.html.

Looks like most of these places are descendants of one San Diego taco shop called Roberto's.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Forgot about Gilberto's