Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Thanks for the LP, Purple. I never got past the first island, and now I'm kinda sad that I didn't miss all that much :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think if the Celts had been one island and maybe they'd put another species or two in, it'd be a stronger game. A sort of brief 'oh yeah, we know humans, even if you're nothing like normal for them.' thing, the weird magical celts, and then onwards to mostly alien stuff and more exploring.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Everything about the game really feels like rushed or troubled development. The whole thing with the aliens and them having the jewels in their head, finding a big one with a guy who's turned into an entire dungeon, their culture and stuff in the first island, feels really important and meaningful to the plot.

And then it all completely disappears in favour of a bunch of random druid magic stuff and generic fantasy dungeons which honestly feels like it's assets for a completely different game they jammed in.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was initially some sort of plan for the game to be entirely about the weird aliens, and something happened that ended up with all the human stuff

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Great work on showing off an unknown game!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It is a game I first saw and played when it came out, but never beat. I wonder what the crew behind it are all up to these days.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

evilmiera posted:

It is a game I first saw and played when it came out, but never beat. I wonder what the crew behind it are all up to these days.

Just based off Googling the ones listed on Wikipedia, some on phone games, one guy works at Ubisoft.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
A bit late to the party, but I just got done reading the thread and wanted to say awesome job with the LP. I never used play that many RPGs when I was a kid (I was more hooked on RTS games like C&C and space sims from that era like TIE Fighter), but for some reason I became completely obsessed with Albion. I just thought the whole mash-up of sci-fi and fantasy was incredible (not having any experience with that kind of thing before that), and got totally sucked in by the world. I even dabbled in a bit of fanfiction with it, trying to write it out as a story and - being the giant loving astronomy dork I was - doing a bit of extra world building, like imagining what the other planets in Albion's system were like. So this LP was a great chance to get in touch with all that again. It's incredible how, even after 20+ years, many of the locations, characters, story beats etc were still so familiar and memorable to me. And yeah, looking at it as an adult now, the flaws are much more apparent than they ever would've been before (holy poo poo, those pixel smear wall buttons), but gently caress it - I still love the game, warts and all.

One thing of note: watching Avatar when it came out, I remember thinking how strikingly similar the plot was to Albion, right down to the Jungle-dwelling cat-people. Some time later, I found a really neat article by one of the Albion devs, Jurie Horneman, about this very thing: http://www.intelligent-artifice.com/2013/07/on-albion-and-avatar.html
I think you'll get a kick out of it. Aside from the Avatar/Albion stuff, he goes into some interesting detail about some of the creative decisions behind the game . . . ok he talks about cat-people boobs a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

That's actually an interesting little post. I'd love to know more about the development of Albion, but any information about it at all is welcome.

But also yeah, in general if you LP a game you come face to face with a lot of its warts as you explain the mechanics and delve into the writing.