Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Problem description:
Changed ISP, so of course the new router DHCP reassigned all the local IP addresses. I have maybe ten machines, mostly Linux and a few Macs. I sorted out the addresses and relationships between them and everything works as it did before, except for this one weird thing. I have a web server for personal stuff that sits at home, let's say at the address 192.168.1.14. The modem/router is set to port-forward 80 and 443 to that machine. From outside the network, say from work, it's just fine. I set up a no-ip DNS thingy because the WAN address changes annoyingly frequently. But when I go to that no-ip domain from home (within the network), no dice. Visiting the local IP of the web server from within the network works fine. Pinging the no-ip domain only works from outside. If I turn off Wi-Fi on my phone, I can connect. For now the workaround is to put the no-ip domain into /etc/hosts with the local IP, but I don't like that solution.

Attempted fixes:
- Tried different ports, just in case they're blocked by the ISP
- Tried bypassing squid and privoxy
- Grepped through /etc to find any lingering references to the old local IP
- Restarted everything

Recent changes:
ISP changed, all the machines are re-IPed. Not that it's recent or changed, but probably worth mentioning that pi-hole, squid, and privoxy are in the mix, and the local website is proxying an email archiving/POP/SMTP app which is itself behind "perdition" to make it be POP3S.

Operating system:
Linux (Ubuntu, Raspbian), OSX, Android, all 64-bit except for a silly 32-bit Asus EeePC running HaikuOS which is not relevant but I thought I'd mention it.

System specs:
The ISP is Telus. The router says this about itself:
Model Number TELUS Wi-Fi Hub
Serial Number ARCA********* (redacted)
Firmware Version v1.00.08 build315
Hardware Version 01

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
Does your router support NAT hairpinning/NAT loopback?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
Not that I can tell. I actually googled the title I gave this thread though, and found fellow sufferers. Guess I wasn't googling just right. Well that and I've never heard of hairpinning, who came up with that term...

So how do I fix this? I'm gathering that I should set the modem up as a bridge (I do seem to have that option) and use my own router instead to do LAN stuff (and hope the TV part of things still works). Guess I have a plan for my next day off. If you know of any handholding guides, that would be cool.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
Unfortunately, I do not know how to do this. The reason I know about NAT loopback is that I have a program on my computer that is hosted inside my home network that is reachable by dynamic IP from outside the network.

I have to use a fallback address (192.168.x.x) to reach it via wireless since my router doesn't support hairpin/loopback. It seems like this is a specialized thing and I didn't really want to change routers so that's the solution I went with.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Thanks anyway! I have it sort of figured out now -- turns out my old router doesn't do NAT loopback either (wish I knew that before embarking on the bridging project), I guess it was my old ISP's combo that did. Instead, since I use pi-hole, I just set up a few custom DNS entries to cover the sites that I host locally.

Maybe I could flash the router with whatever that custom software is, but it's working well enough now.