Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

9axle
Sep 6, 2009
Any good reason not to go? Anything real that we shouldn't miss? We don't care about nightclubs or stuff like that, definitely enjoy good food, local music, wandering through shops and cafes all day. might be willing to choke some sort of touristy-type things like a tour or something, but not interested in Segway rides, parasailing, jet skis or any other crap typical American tourists flock to. Oh, none of us speaks a word of Spanish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
I thought Barcelona was very touristy for the most part - if you don't like that kind of stuff, Madrid was better in my opinion. But in Barcelona, I enjoyed walking up to Park Guell. A stroll down Las Ramblas was cool enough, if only to make fun of other tourists. There was also the big market which was neat to walk through for 15 minutes. Don't worry about not speaking Spanish, almost everyone you'll interact with speaks some amount of English.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
It has been a few years since I went there, but it's absolutely possible to wander through the city just sightseeing, finding neat coffees and small restaurants - just like any other big european city. Barcelona IS touristy, so you'll have tho leave the big axes and do some research beforehand, but in March it should not be too crowded. How long are you planning on staying there?

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Park Guell is pretty neat, but if they’re still doing restoration then I’m not sure if it’s worth making the trek out there. When I was there in early 2018 the restoration definitely interfered with the experience. Looks like it may not be done until June.

Sagrada Familia is a must-see. Pictures do not do it justice.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
La Sagrada Familia is really cool and interesting even if you aren't a fan of churches. It really is one of the strangest/prettiest buildings I've seen. Try (if possible) to go there on a sunny day, the sunlight will stream in through the stained windows and make everything multicolored. I got one of those audio guides but I turned it off after a while and just walked around and took everything in.

You do have to cover up shoulders/not wear shorts if you want to go into some of the churches, just some advice. I was stopped from going to the crypt in La Sagrada Familia because I had a sleeveless top, but fortunately a nice woman let me borrow a scarf and I could go in when I had it over my shoulders.

I really liked this guided tour I went on in the old city/Barri Gotic, but going with a guide was obviously extremely tourist-y. You can probably walk around and check out the architecture/small shops and get the same experience.

We went to the Poble Sec neighborhood for food one evening and there were a lot of small pintxos/tapas restaurants. From there we could walk to the area around Plaça d'Espana/Catalan Museum, which was really pretty at night. The magic fountain is there too, but when I was there in August 2015 it was really crowded.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I was in Barcelona last September. I am not a clubber nor an experienced EU traveler (so take my ramblings with a grain of salt) and found tons of things to do. I also got lucky with great weather and was there during Catalonia's Independence Day festival or something. I don't know but all the independence groups were selling t-shirts and whatnot. It was pretty cool.

I loved Barcelona and would definitely return and see more of Catalonia and Spain overall. Between commuter and regional trains + cheap flights, you can use it as a base and day trip around too. We also visited Palma as well as Girona.

I was personally surprised at how widely spoken Catalan was. I kind of went into it thinking it is one of those languages spoken at home/among family but no, lots of restaurant workers speaking it at first. Yes they speak Spanish as well and there is some overlap between the two languages. You won't be refused service for it. But just a heads up if your poo poo Spanish isn't getting you by, that's probably why.

Interacting with younger people they almost all speak English.

I had great Japanese, Romanian, Italian, and a lot more when I was there. I actually found it hard (not impossible) to find traditional Catalonian or Spanish food.

loving coffee man. It is good and it is everywhere. Everything from the nicest restaurant to the hole-in-the-wall bar will have delicious espresso. If you love your coffee you'll love this city.

I did not do any tours while there and just enjoyed the artwork and architecture from the outside. I did go to this museum in Girona which was really cool.

Estrella Damm is awesome. Beer and just alcohol in general and food overall is very affordable.

Public transit is robust and affordable. Night buses fill the gap once the metro shuts down.

You can't rent the bike share stations but there are bike shops all over the place that rent either by the hour or by the day.

The only time I found my lack of Spanish limiting was if I was going to a hyper locals only type place. But in restaurants, pointing and broken Spanish usually gets what you want accomplished.

Credit cards are widely accepted and I didn't mess around with cash that often.

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary
Me and my girlfriend are going to Barcelona on 14th january till 22nd. Our hotel is in eixample. Can anyone recommend some interesting less traveled places, bars with local beers and vegetarian restaurants. My GF is also fluent in spanish so language won't be an issue. Our budget is like 300-400€ in total so most definitely nothing fancy.

Hiekkakauppias fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 4, 2022

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

hey good timing.

i'm flying into barcelona, plan on taking a train to madrid for 3 nights before returnign and spending the remainder of my trip in barcelona. if i get to the airport at 6:35 AM would a 9:00 AM train ticket give me enough time to get to the station from the airport after customs and getting my bags?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Normally yes. Are you arriving from within Schengen? I guess not with such an early arrival time that must be a red eye, so you’ll have to clear immigration which should be fast but you never know (not that I’ve been through immigration at BCN so I don’t know either).

Just make sure you get a ticket class where you can change the ticket if needed, eg if your flight is two hours late, so you’ll only have to pay the small change ticket fee instead of losing the entire thing. Make sure to change your ticket before 9:00 in such a case, so if your flight is like 2 hours late departing then change your train ticket before you take off.

Anyway probably like a 95% chance you’ll be fine with 2.5 hours from landing to training. I usually give myself at least 2 hours for changing in similar situations. If there’s a 10am and a 9am I’d probably do like 50/50 between picking the 9 vs the 10, but I’d definitely go for the 9 if the next train was like 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I’m headed to Barcelona on Thursday for a few days on the way to a canal boat trip in France. I’ve been there a bunch (used to live a short train ride away) and love the city. Yes, it’s touristy in some parts but I’m gonna check off some items on Atlas Obscura’s list like the medieval sewers, go sailing, do a lot of rooftop bars, and go to a Barça match which I’m stoked about.

Either way the weather will be much nicer than spring at 9500 ft and give me a few days to shake off jet lag. Staying in Barceloneta so if anyone knows any good spots (coffee, tapas, bars) within easy walking distance of there I’d love to hear them.