Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

problem: The power went out last night, and now windows wont boot up entirely. When i first started if up, it went to the login screen, which no longer had pretty pictures, but was solid blue with only a shutdown button and network options (non functional) displayed, and i couldn't get any farther. On my third attempt at booting, i waited a while and eventually the network connected and showed the time and my name, but wouldn't let me sign in.

attempted fix:I found my windows 10 installation disk, and tried to boot from that, thinking it might have some system repair thing, and got a blank black screen and it made all kinds of start-stop spinny noises for ten minutes and then loaded me into the blue login screen again. But this time it lets me enter my PIN....and then hangs on login for ten minutes and sends me back to the blue login screen. The win 10 disc is still randomly spinning, but theres no indication that anything is actually happening...so what do i do now?

I tried safe mode (the power-cycle windows interruption method, first time ive needed safe mode since they changed it for win 10), and it doesnt work, i just get loaded into the same broken login screen.

Oh and the power went out again during my latest attempt, while trying to log in :argh:

This computer made it through an outage a year ago with no problems, and outages never caused problems for me before...hope my hard drive isnt fried or something.

recent changes: uh, i plugged in a different keyboard last week.

system specs:

Windows 10 pro 64 bit
AMD ryzen 5 2600X
AMD RX 580
16gb RAM g.skill tridentz
MSI B450 motherboard
Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500gb
a couple old rear end storage HDDs
EVGA Supernova 750g+ PSU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: yes. Google showed me a bunch of people who couldn't boot at all, or who could boot to a login screen with more functionality, where they could access system repair and safe mode. Nobody i could find had the same problem as me, with a semi-functional broken login screen sending them on endless loops. It seems to me that at the very least windows was corrupted by the power outage, but i hope my other data is still there

Rah! fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

drat, no one has any idea what might be going on? :(

I'm guessing if my drive was totally hosed, it wouldnt work at all, but i guess the data could all still be corrupted. I hope not.

I remember a year or so ago my computer had to do some windows repair thing on startup and a minute later everything worked fine. Is there a way to force that? Or what about safe mode? Any other ways i might be able to access it?

Also during my google searching, i came across someone who claimed there's a windows driver related to sleep mode, that sometimes gets corrupted and keeps the computer from waking properly...and i'm pretty sure my computer was asleep when the power went out. Anyone know anything about that?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I figured out how to load advanced startup options from my windows disc. Startup repair fails, and system restore cant find restore points. Went into the command prompt and it says something about insufficient memory, and no commands work. Seems like it thinks my hard drive is empty, maybe? Though it seems something (corrupted i guess) is still on there seeing as windows loads partially before getting stuck.

So is that it? Time to reinstall? I got a new SSD (had been meaning to get another one and back my stuff up recently too but put it off lol oops) and a UPS as well, to hopefully keep this from happening again.

Biscuitbeard
Feb 16, 2020
Quick one - have you tried a Linux live CD/USB?

First thing to do is figure out whether any of the actual hardware got fried or if it's just Windows. So take Windows out of the equation and boot into portable Linux where you can run tests on the hard drive etc. I doubt your files are gone but the installation may be hopelessly borked.

You can get recovery-specific live images - I haven't had PC problems in a while but Hiren's one was always good.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Biscuitbeard posted:

Quick one - have you tried a Linux live CD/USB?

First thing to do is figure out whether any of the actual hardware got fried or if it's just Windows. So take Windows out of the equation and boot into portable Linux where you can run tests on the hard drive etc. I doubt your files are gone but the installation may be hopelessly borked.

You can get recovery-specific live images - I haven't had PC problems in a while but Hiren's one was always good.

I haven't tried those or ever done anything linux related. Sounds interesting though. I didnt have another computer available to set up a boot disc this weekend though, just my crappy half dead phone as a backup computer, and i was tired of waiting, so i just reinstalled wndows on my new drive. I put the old drive in an external USB enclosure, plugged it in, and....windows can't read it, says it needs to be formatted. All other components seem to be working fine.

So now i gotta try data recovery i guess. Any suggestions on where to start?

A google search brought up something about power cycling an SSD that has been hosed by power failure as a potential way to regain access. The problem is, the method is for a SATA SSD, and involved just plugging in the power but not the data cable. Is there any way to do something like that for an nvme drive?

Rah! fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run CDI on your drives to check HD health:
https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/72256/CrystalDiskInfo8_4_0.exe/

Rah! posted:

So now i gotta try data recovery i guess. Any suggestions on where to start?

I use this one:
https://www.active-undelete.com/undelete.html