Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Whenever I read David Sedaris I always found myself low-key loathing the guy. This makes me accept that hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-

Animal-Mother posted:

America is just a Nazi Germany that got away with it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I think the thing that fucks me up the most reading this, is that you could choose the Ring or the Corner as many times as you wanted, you could be the biggest loving firecracker that ever did light up in defiance of their whole system,

and one day you either died of being punched in the head "wrong" or malnutrition done precisely right. Then they call you a runner and have no idea where you went.

It's not just a recapture zone, it's a plausible deniability zone. It is evil to the loving core, and not centralized.

Some group in Maine hosed up? Well let's patch that into our California branch.

This poo poo is probably still going on someplace and we just haven't had somebody exit yet.

gently caress.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

thecluckmeme posted:

gently caress.

its a bill that arrives in thousands of mailboxes a month and is promptly paid in full

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

thecluckmeme posted:

I think the thing that fucks me up the most reading this, is that you could choose the Ring or the Corner as many times as you wanted, you could be the biggest loving firecracker that ever did light up in defiance of their whole system,

and one day you either died of being punched in the head "wrong" or malnutrition done precisely right. Then they call you a runner and have no idea where you went.

It's not just a recapture zone, it's a plausible deniability zone. It is evil to the loving core, and not centralized.

Some group in Maine hosed up? Well let's patch that into our California branch.

This poo poo is probably still going on someplace and we just haven't had somebody exit yet.

gently caress.

Yep, and it's more horrible that a large intake of these places are mentally handicapped youth with emotional ages and understanding of actual children. Group homes are terrible enough as it is, putting someone like that in these torture homes should be a capital crime.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
New one's up.

https://elan.school/42-freedom/

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus this took a turn where ugh, it just gets worse.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
My parents actually sent my brother to this place. I went to his graduation, he seemed real weird when he got out. I had no idea this place was so hosed up, I had almost forgotten about it.

My brother never saw his 30th birthday, he OD'd alone in a hotel room in South Florida and I'm sure these sick fucks are partially responsible.

I am so angry right now.

koshmar fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 7, 2020

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Jesus christ, I did not anticipate being beyond furious tonight

Really? At some point 3-4 years ago, the open brazenness of injustice had become so routine that "beyond furious" just became the default setting.

Dick Bass
Feb 22, 2006

koshmar posted:

My parents actually sent my brother to this place. I went to his graduation, he seemed real weird when he got out. I had no idea this place was so hosed up, I had almost forgotten about it.

My brother never saw his 30th birthday, he OD'd alone in a hotel room in South Florida and I'm sure these sick fucks are partially.

I am so angry right now.

Goondolances mate

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

koshmar posted:

My brother never saw his 30th birthday, he OD'd alone in a hotel room in South Florida and I'm sure these sick fucks are partially.

I am so angry right now.

God drat. :stonk:

Brad Pitt
Nov 7, 2009

:smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::regd09:
Koshmar, are your parents still alive and if so, do you still have a relationship with them?

Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 7, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

I remember reading about a similar thing 15 years ago. It was a reform school based in Jamaica called Tranquility Bay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tranquility_Bay

Imagine spending a college tuition every year so someone can torture your kid and you don't have to be a parent.

Yeah, I noticed the author drew a pamphlet for that place as one of the options the social worker presented the parents for where to send the author

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

koshmar posted:

I am so angry right now.

im real sorry man

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: Ahh, never mind. I shared my own story but it doesn't really compare to this so I don't think it's the place for it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 7, 2020

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Go sit in the corner, jfc :rolleyes:

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Brad Pitt posted:

Koshmar, are your parents still alive and if so, do you still have a relationship with them?

They are and I do. I'm not sure they understood what kind of heinous poo poo this place was up to. This was like '99 so you couldn't Google a place like this. They must have heard about it through word of mouth.

He was extremely difficult and got in a lot of trouble and there was some undiagnosed mental illness discovered after the fact, I was away at College when he left so I wasn't involved. Even if they did know I'm not sure it is something I want to dredge up with them. I asked my sister about it today and she was fully aware of the schools reputation.

My brother never really talked about the place, but he did talk about Skakel a lot afterwards.

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

https://elan.school/43-new-horizon/

New one's up, for those still following.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

t-.-t posted:

https://elan.school/43-new-horizon/

New one's up, for those still following.

I use this thread to keep me updated so thanks for this

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Oh thank god, I was worried this one was going to end with him being sent back there.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thanks for bumping the thread, I'd forgot about it.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
drat i love the sedaris's as entertainers, learning about their sister in this context kinda dispels the idea i had of their parents being "good" rich/upper middle class people

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

The Cockler posted:

drat i love the sedaris's as entertainers, learning about their sister in this context kinda dispels the idea i had of their parents being "good" rich/upper middle class people

No such thing as a good rich person

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Can I still sign up for this?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

N. Senada posted:

No such thing as a good rich person

And they have a very long history of drat well making sure of that by sending their kids to institutions with more formalised abuse than the most underfunded poorly ran public school.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pontificating rear end posted:

This is really hosed up, but I saw this video yesterday (the whole thing is a good watch but I'm gonna set a concise timestamp):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0_Xtfv2vb0&t=690s

It's about a redditor who was purportedly posting from inside a cult-- it ends up pointing to a religious cult that teaches "God's love" means having sex with your family. They teach the girls to go get impregnated by outsiders so they can bring more children into the cult. The worst part is that it's still going today with chapters around the world:

https://www.thefamilyinternational.org/en/

True Story: One of my uncles and his family were “missionaries” for the Family International, aka the Children of God.

I only just found this out last year. Before then, all I knew was that they were “missionaries” for some sect of Christianity that started up around the 1960s that my ultra-Catholic rear end in a top hat grandfather disapproved of because ~*reasons*~ (which I didn’t learn until this uncle’s funeral in late 2004), that they spent their lives traveling around the world doing “missionary” stuff of one kind or another (which I probably don’t want to know any details about now :gonk:), and that any time I asked any of my cousins from that part of the family — including my one cousin who lived with us for awhile while attending college — what denomination they belonged to, they were always weirdly reluctant to give me an answer.

I’m pretty sure all of my cousins (all 8 or more of them, I forgot the exact number) are out of it now, but I think my aunt might still be involved in it or have some ties to it. She lives in Canada now, if I remember correctly.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

True Story: One of my uncles and his family were “missionaries” for the Family International, aka the Children of God.

I only just found this out last year. Before then, all I knew was that they were “missionaries” for some sect of Christianity that started up around the 1960s that my ultra-Catholic rear end in a top hat grandfather disapproved of because ~*reasons*~ (which I didn’t learn until this uncle’s funeral in late 2004), that they spent their lives traveling around the world doing “missionary” stuff of one kind or another (which I probably don’t want to know any details about now :gonk:), and that any time I asked any of my cousins from that part of the family — including my one cousin who lived with us for awhile while attending college — what denomination they belonged to, they were always weirdly reluctant to give me an answer.

I’m pretty sure all of my cousins (all 8 or more of them, I forgot the exact number) are out of it now, but I think my aunt might still be involved in it or have some ties to it. She lives in Canada now, if I remember correctly.

:aaa:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yeah, that whole half of my family is nuts.

That uncle happens to be the one whose kids I’ve spent the most time around, too. At least on my dad’s side of the family.

He’s also my only deceased uncle... I think he had leukemia that went untreated until it was too late, possibly for stupid cult-y reasons.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
There's a new one up.

I am really hoping he's just milking it before he goes back to Elan. He's been hinting at it for what, 6 months now? If he just posts 2 or 3 more, continually hinting about being caught, and ends it back home or whatever I'm going to be pissed.

Not that I want him to have been tortured more or whatever but lol

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

There's another up since then.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
there have been a bunch of updates but they're super wordy and not super interesting

however, the documentary, The Last Stop is finally out on Prime Video, so bump !!!!!!!!

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

mental institution stuff

Hey man, I know this is from ages ago but thank you so much for posting it. I was in a very similar situation (just turned 19 at the time, put into the adult ward) and was shoved in one of these places and went from being a somewhat lovely happy normal millenial into a shell of a man within like weeks. I got out really early and it hosed me up bad, even still. Thank you for sharing this, it made me feel so much better to know I wasn't alone, in a way. I still remember not being able to call my parents cause I couldn't remember their phone number & the institution took my phone, no one would talk to me like I was cognizant, I was so scared I'd be stuck there forever and no one would even know.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I was just reading about Jonestown, and I poo poo you not, they used many of these same techniques.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Someone brought up in another thread; you know all these kids are basically just normal teenagers whose parents are insane fundies or lazy and don't want to be parents any more, because you never hear about the staff at these places getting killed.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How did I only just now discover the existence of Elan School, a Juche bedlam a mere hour north of my house? And that cocksucker Ricci owned Scarborough Downs where my bus would pass every day to school!? :psyboom:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I can vouch for this
Buddy thank you for posting this that must've been true hell on earth. Growing up on the spectrum I feel incredibly lucky that I got intervention from a Rutgers program when my parents found out. I'd say that i'dve ended up there at some point had I been raised by psycopaths - but I was 16 when it shut down. I sincerely hope life has turned around for you since surviving a godamn Synanon cult.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 7, 2022

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
Elan.School has had several updates since the previous last post of this thread. Story has veered away from Elan quite a bit though. I still check in every few months when I think about it.

There is also a podcast that I've just started called "The Sunshine Place" about Synanon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Thanks for bumping this. I had forgotten America was the worst country on earth for a minute.

Jesus, what a read.

I had seen videos on this, either like vice or an HBO doc but that comic is harrowing. The complicit state's role in all this, just pure loving evil.