Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You have several options:

• Give it to your parents and such
  • Meticulously date each one and get some filing cabinets
  • Try to sell it?
  • Throw most of it out when no one is looking

But seriously, the result is not the point of children's drawings, it's the process plus hopefully the joy of giving that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

we’ve got one set of grandparents who are old and keep promising things and then delivering 1/3rd of what they promise, leaving us in the lurch. They’re like we’ll babysit two days and then we book a hotel for a wedding and they let us know the day before they can only do 1 because babysitting is so hard and then we have to scramble to fill the gap last second.

the question is how are they still alive. your spouse didnt kill them?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my daughters new favorite activity is dropping her food on the floor and saying "uh oh! bye bye!" its very cute also too messy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

lobster shirt posted:

my daughters new favorite activity is dropping her food on the floor and saying "uh oh! bye bye!" its very cute also too messy.

Get a dog

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

When we feed the baby anywhere other than our house I have the bad habit of just leaving food on the floor because I'm used to our dog cleaning it up

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

my cat will eat food on the ground lol, like any random crumb of whatever

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have never fed my cats people food and i don't think they are aware that it's edible

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lobster shirt posted:

i have never fed my cats people food and i don't think they are aware that it's edible

hosed up

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

cinci goons, we’re coming for a long weekend in a few weeks. are the zoo, aquarium in KY, and science center all worth going to?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

El Mero Mero posted:

grandparents chat:

we’ve got one set of grandparents who are old and keep promising things and then delivering 1/3rd of what they promise, leaving us in the lurch.

oh god, my inlaws are here and I feel your pain.

Like,my parents don't promise anything, they are also not physically capable of really chasing a kid around, or much if it isn't quiet activities.

But my inlaws are in excellent shape, and keep coming super eager about how much they'll help. And they try! But they are duds.

Yesterday I come out of 30 minutes of putting the baby to sleep, and I find my toddler covered in pee, and playing around, instead of in bed.

"The toddler peed. What do I do?"

So in the last half hour changing the toddler, pulling off the sheets or examining the 3 (three!) Drawers in the room see if there were any clean sheets were unfathomable activities?

At this point I just want them to not say that they'll help. And certainly not the only example of they being useless about following simple instructions, or even drat looking at water bottles for a second to see if they were for babies or what. They came to me the other day with a crying baby who was thirsthy as heck because they had been holding a toddler botle upside down, as a baby bottle, to the baby. The plastic straw was up in the air, above the water. For 15minutes or so.

God wth.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

/\/\/\ lol jesus

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

the question is how are they still alive. your spouse didnt kill them?

they’re lucky I didn’t need or want to go to this wedding that badly and I eventually intervened to save them and just skipped part of the wedding to take the kid for the pre-event day.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's quite striking how useless grandparents are at looking after a child, despite the fact that by definition they have plenty of experience doing so

The brain must dump all that information directly into the bin as soon as the kids fly the nest

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't think it's dumped or different. I think this is just what we got and we just didn't know enough to be outraged.

Inlaw dud moments give me flashbacks to direct behaviours my spouse does or believes in. It's so easy to trace a pathway to some specific things my spouse does that I think sucks rear end, like for example they glorify biting.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Wth does "glorify biting" mean?

Also don't tell me if it will scar me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Hungry hungry hippos glorifies biting

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
They in law family member sees cute things they are compelled to bite them. They think it is natural and correct response to like stuffed animals or cute food. For the children it is like munching toes or shoulder. In law brother married someone who sees eye to eye with him on biting and surprise surprise their child is getting called out of day care for biting. The child free auntie gets real dark and psychopathic about it and the last time (Thanksgiving I think, Gramma snuck the kid into aunties arms despite our ongoing feud) she used teeth and left a mark and I remain upset.

I have made my stance known: biting is hosed up. Don't bite your friends. Then I hijack all available screens with my cell phone to blast this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6UWNA-WQgI

If you wanna do biting do that in private and be ashamed. Dad will fight all vampires like Blade!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Microplastics posted:

Hungry hungry hippos glorifies biting

That's right! Hippos are dangerous animals! They kill the most humans out of any animal in their environment. Way more dangerous than gaters.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

KirbyKhan posted:

They in law family member sees cute things they are compelled to bite them. They think it is natural and correct response to like stuffed animals or cute food. For the children it is like munching toes or shoulder. In law brother married someone who sees eye to eye with him on biting and surprise surprise their child is getting called out of day care for biting. The child free auntie gets real dark and psychopathic about it and the last time (Thanksgiving I think, Gramma snuck the kid into aunties arms despite our ongoing feud) she used teeth and left a mark and I remain upset.

I have made my stance known: biting is hosed up. Don't bite your friends. Then I hijack all available screens with my cell phone to blast this song:

If you wanna do biting do that in private and be ashamed. Dad will fight all vampires like Blade!

What in the fresh hell..

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

here is a grandparent story from today. for background my father in law is living with us.

my wife has to work today so my mom came over to help watch the two kids. we were all in the back yard, my kids playing on the side of the house, grandparents sitting on the porch.

i see my daughter wander from the side of the house into the back yard. thinking to myself that grandparents can handle watching her i continue playing with my son. like ten minutes later my mom comes out all indignant that i left my 16 month old daughter all alone in the back yard (which is horrifying and i feel guilty and am glad nothing bad happened)

but i was like where the heck were y'all and she said "oh we just decided to go inside where it's cooler."

like wtf lady the reason you're here is to help watch the kids!!! you can't go inside when they're outside and especially you can't do that without telling me!!!!!!!!!

thank goodness nothing bad happened at least

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

what in the sam hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Grandparent story my cousin's wife told me about her in-laws (my aunt and uncle) watching their kids over night a few months back.

Their kids are 11 and 5. My aunt insisting on putting them to bed at 8pm on a Saturday night. The 11 yo was understandably not tired at all and not on board with this! So my aunt gave him melatonin to make him fall asleep.

I sometimes have to check my dad because he has well-intentioned but potentially dangerous ideas, but good lord between this thread and some friends/family grandparent stories I'm very thankful for both sets being local and good with the kids