Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Black Widow is in the Core, she is a 2 threat Avenger who excels at grabbing extracts and making your opponent invest too much in getting them back. I still have her in my lists because she’s very reliable for objective play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm a little confused - the rules talk about building a roster with 10 characters, but the most common threat level is 17 - there's no way to fit 10 characters into that.

edit-- Oh a Roster is uh... just a little collection you bring to your FLGS for example? And then the Squad is what you actually play with?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Count Thrashula posted:

I'm a little confused - the rules talk about building a roster with 10 characters, but the most common threat level is 17 - there's no way to fit 10 characters into that.

edit-- Oh a Roster is uh... just a little collection you bring to your FLGS for example? And then the Squad is what you actually play with?

Yep -- after revealing the crises you're playing you secretly build your squad from the models in your roster. So you know the objectives and an approximation of what your opponent will play.

It's prolly the best list-building system I've ever played.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
It's more for tournament play. Friendly games are just from your collection.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Grey Hunter posted:

It's more for tournament play. Friendly games are just from your collection.
I would caution against this; building a list of ten forces you to think about what your team is trying to do, and what to splash to address what it's bad at. Having ten characters and ten cards forces you to play better. It also massively speeds up play even in a casual setting as you don't get analysis paralysis of "which of these 70 characters and 150 cards do I want 5 each of?"

And, of course, if you ever go to a local tournament or just a friendly game at a store against a stranger, they're gonna want to have just ten models to worry about across from them.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

yeah I generally bring 11-12 models and tactics to friendly games but I'm still basically playing from my roster

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Count Thrashula posted:

Your ‘Roster’ is basically the army list you make at home to bring to your games. It includes 10 characters*, 10 Tactics cards, and 3 of each Crisis type.

At the table you choose which Crises are active for the match, and then each player picks characters to the point total and 5 of their tactic cards to actually play.

* Technically you can have more than 10 because some characters are accompanied by special ‘Grunt’ characters that don’t count as full characters.

I would always recommend actually building a roster for any games, the decisions about what to include in your list and what crises to play are related. It’s also an important part of squad choice - when I choose my 17 points, I don’t know what you are bringing, but I do know what your 10 is. So my choices are informed by things like whether you might have a Hulk, or what your likely Leadership will be. If your roster is ‘my entire collection’ you are cutting out a piece of game strategy. It also means that if your opponent brings a tough crisis for your style you actually have to play it, instead of just picking the best characters out of 50 for that objective.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Cool, thanks everybody for the clarification! Just means I need to buy/print more models... I mostly want to play X-Men Baddies anyway.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

potential spoilers that haven't been officially revealed yet but someone from Reddit found out preorders for Abomination and THE WRECKING CREW, the latter who all occupy a single base lol..

Been waiting for the former to show up as we need more characters from his nemesis' rogues gallery, and the latter is going to be insanely funny to think about how they even will function. Apparently it's a single box so that's a lot of guys to paint up and assemble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Let's hope they're more fun than their Marvel: Champions versions