Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fallom posted:

So what's it mean when organizations claim that a booster is "unnecessary" without any further explanation? Does one only become "necessary" when the effectiveness of the existing doses drops below a certain level?

Because I would consider going from 90% to 95% extremely loving necessary myself.

that's fine for you but pretty much no public health agency would agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Are we talking about the lancet article published today? Its talking about the fact that on a population level the marginal benefits from using boosters on serious illness/death compared to the ability to save lifes on unvaccinated populance makes it useless. In a situation where its booster or nothing, I guess it would make sense (though would be interested if for healthy 30/20s we're at the point where risk of blood clotting/heart problems are reaching the marginal benefit of a third)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...s-conclude.html

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I want to share my perspective from Hong Kong since this thread is so often about the US only.

Last year and for the first few months of this year, it felt like Hong Kong was doing a great job with its Covid response. Despite being one of the first places hit with Covid, the government and the population responded in a way that limited outbreaks and kept the case and death total low despite an extremely dense, very elderly population. It seemed highly grounded in science and precautionary principles. And it was all done in a way that didn't seem to impact life too much. Restaurants were at limited capacity and hours. Gyms and bars were closed at times. Other large-crowd events were canceled. Masking and hygiene were universal except in natural parks. Outdoor sports were allowed.

There were a few 'waves' that paled in comparison to waves in other countries, both in absolute and relative senses. Interestingly to me, in every case past Wave 1, the source of the outbreak had some sort of link to social issues in Hong Kong. An airline pilot (the epitome of expat self-entitlement) abused his entry privileges and went straight from landing to a popular restaurant, setting off one wave. A band performed in multiple bars in the nightlife zone and set off another major wave. Rich elderly women holding private 'dance parties' with young 'dance instructors' brought in on speedboats from mainland set off another wave. Another wave involved foreign prostitutes living in unlicensed hostels on expired visas. It seemed like every outbreak told some story about haves and have nots in Hong Kong.

Vaccine programs began in early 2021. Demand was nonexistent. Anti-vaxx messaging was (and is) all over the place. Government policies to encourage vaccination are frequently counterproductive. Just today the government issued a warning to the national airline for firing a worker who refused to get vaccinated. The anti-vaxx sentiments in HK are different from the US. Partly it's sensationalist rags promoting bullshit; partly it's skepticism of vaccines made in China. Unfortunately it seems like some people have rallied around the lovely tabloids that promote disinfo because of the concurrent anti-democratic crackdowns on those publications.

It has become increasingly difficult to understand what the government is trying to do. They've tripled down on a 'zero covid' strategy without doing much to accelerate vaccination. The PM of Singapore threw shade on HK when announcing their own abandonment of a zero covid strategy. The HK government has increased quarantine periods to 21 days for inbound travelers from most countries in response to a case that was later determined to be transmitted during quarantine. So it might be the only place that is actually increasing risk through its quarantine program. They continue to move the goal posts on milestones that would see policies relaxed. They've continued to count cases in a strangely exaggerated manner. For example, a couple that traveled to Kyrgyzstan for 2 weeks returned to HK, tested positive, and were logged as 'local cases' rather than 'imported cases' because the HK government claims there is a 21-day incubation period and that the couple could have carried Covid with them to Kyrgyzstan and back. But they've also reduced the quarantine period for foreign domestic workers from the Philippines and Indonesia (both legitimately high-risk origins), because god forbid people don't have their servants.

I suspect that it is all heavily driven by politics with mainland China. Before Covid, HK was having enormous pro-democracy protests. Since Covid, countless anti-democratic policy changes have been made that hand more power to the Party and accelerate the full transition of HK to mainland China. I do not think a lot of these changes would have been made under non-Covid circumstances when more of the world's attention would have been on HK.

At the risk of being a conspiracy theorist, I also suspect that HK's Covid policies are going to be increasingly twisted to meet the political direction coming from the mainland. The new policy is that reopening with mainland must come before reopening with the rest of the world, as some sort of symbolic gesture. But reopening with mainland will not happen until at least the Beijing Olympics have ended, and more likely after Xi's third term begins in late 2022. And until then, HK authorities will have to keep coming up with embarrassingly unscientific justifications for maintaining strict (or just plain absurd) policies, like 21-day incubation periods and time-traveling infections.

Smeef fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 13, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
At this point if you come to work sniffling and coughing and refuse to wear a mask you should just have "rear end in a top hat" branded on your forehead. That he's allowed to do that is ridiculous.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Weasling Weasel posted:

Are we talking about the lancet article published today?

quote:

They said there are risks to distributing boosters too soon, including the potential for side effects such as a rare heart inflammation condition known as myocarditis, which is more common after the second dose of mRNA vaccines.

"If unnecessary boosting causes significant adverse reactions, there could be implications for vaccine acceptance that go beyond COVID-19 vaccines," they wrote.

Wow antivaxx much?

They’re not saying the risks outweigh the benefits. They’re just concern trolling.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The comparison in the US isn't boosters vs. vaccinating the unvaxxed, it's boosters vs. dumpsters

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Fallom posted:

The comparison in the US isn't boosters vs. vaccinating the unvaxxed, it's boosters vs. dumpsters

Other countries have sold or given away doses that were otherwise headed to the dumpster. I’m sure once boosters are given the average American poster on here still won’t want to see the rest of the world vaccinated, they’ll just argue that the US needs a stockpile ‘just in case’.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Yeah, while I'm sure you can't recapture 100% of vaccines to go to other countries before they expire (getting vaccines that have already been distributed to individual pharmacies is probably impractical for example), certainly there's a way to manage your supply chain so that excess vaccines are kept centralized and can be diverted somewhere else if they're at risk of spoiling. Canada has a set number of vaccines in it's stockpile (4 million, IIRC) and is planning to continually ship the older vaccines out and replace with new ones to maintain that number long-term.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Got Moderna #2 yesterday, but I also had one dose of Sputnik, so I’ve technically had 3 separate shots.

Really was hoping that side effects on the third one would be mild but no luck.

I hope they refine boosters quite a bit because having to deal with 36-48 hours of side effects every time is gonna loving suck.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I hope they refine boosters quite a bit because having to deal with 36-48 hours of side effects every time is gonna loving suck.

Did you take Tylenol or anything else for it?

I haven’t, out of perhaps misplaced caution, but if this happens every year, I’m going to have to.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Did you take Tylenol or anything else for it?

I haven’t, out of perhaps misplaced caution, but if this happens every year, I’m going to have to.

I'm taking 400mg ibuprofen every 8 hours and that helps quite a bit, and to be fair the side effects are significantly milder than on the second dose, but I still spiked almost 103 and I'm just extremely tired. Managed to avoid the headaches this time, at least.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
New thread is going up today. Before I close this one, does anyone want to throw out new thread title ideas? Short and sweet so I can keep an updated date in the thread title. Thinking about going with Delta Force but I dunno, it's lacking in cleverness or a certain je ne sais quois that a Something Awful thread title should typically have.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I had absolutely zero side effects from my third dose (I had a pretty intense headache from my second, but certainly not any insanely serious side effects). All pfizer.

I was on immunosuppressants for the 3rd and not the previous 2 so that may be a factor.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Coronavirus: Stop trying to make NPIs happen, they're not going to happen!
(mean girls)

Coronavirus: This thread is the most Biden can do

Coronavirus: Mostly horse-paste reccomendations

vvv aaaaaaaaaaaand we're done

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 13, 2021

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Coronavirus: Don’t listen to the neigh-sayers.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Coronavirus: You are not a horse. You are not a cow.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

blastron posted:

It's this.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

blastron posted:

:perfect:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-12/with-economies-on-the-brink-southeast-asia-chooses-to-reopen

It sounds like things could get really bad in Southeast Asia.

quote:

Even as they struggle with one of the world’s worst Covid-19 outbreaks, nations across Southeast Asia are slowly realizing that they can no longer afford the economy-crippling restrictions needed to squash it.

On the factory floors of Vietnam and Malaysia, in the barbershops of Manila or office towers of Singapore, regulators are pushing forward with plans to reopen, seeking to balance containing the virus with keeping people and money moving. That’s leading to a range of experiments including military-delivered food, sequestered workers, micro-lockdowns and vaccinated-only access to restaurants and offices.

In contrast to Europe and the U.S., which have already moved down the reopening path, the region’s low vaccination rates leave it among the world’s most vulnerable to the delta variant. But with state finances stretched by previous rounds of stimulus and dwindling monetary policy firepower, lockdowns are becoming less tenable by the day.

“It’s a tricky balance between lives and livelihoods,” said Krystal Tan, Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd. economist, noting that even Singapore has struggled with infection spikes despite having a world-leading vaccination rate. The risks of stop-start re-openings are higher in the rest of the region, where coverage is considerably lower, Tan said.

Southeast Asia’s factory shutdowns have rippled across the world to create supply chain hiccups, with automakers including Toyota Motor Corp. slashing production and clothing retailer Abercrombie & Fitch Co. warning the situation is “out of control.”

The daily death rate in many Southeast Asian countries has surpassed the global average, helping push them to bottom spots of the Bloomberg’s Covid Resilience Ranking.

Yet officials are increasingly worried about what it means economically if restrictions linger too long despite slow inoculations. Malaysia cut its 2021 growth forecast in half to 3%-4% as daily cases hit records. Thailand’s hoped-for rebound on a critical tourism revival is swiftly vanishing.

‘Pipe Dream’

Even where the outlook appears impressive -- Vietnam is set to grow 6% this year and Singapore officials see theirs as high as 7% -- there’s increasing pressure to address global supply-chain blockages and to avoid dampening foreign investor appetite for the dynamic region.

According to Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp. economist Wellian Wiranto, Southeast Asian nations are being worn down both by the economic costs from successive rounds of lockdowns and an increasing sense of exhaustion among their populations as the crisis drags on.

“Any hope of a broad border reopening that can facilitate trade and tourism flow across various Asean countries is going to remain a distant pipe dream,” Wiranto said.

When it comes to impacts on global supply chains, the stakes have been among the highest in Vietnam, where increasingly stringent lockdowns have exacted a high cost for manufacturers and exporters while failing to halt delta’s spread.

The country’s trade ministry warned this month that it risks losing overseas customers because of tough restrictions that have shuttered factories. The European Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam estimated that 18% of its members have relocated part of their production to other countries to ensure their supply chains are protected, with more expected to follow.

Endemic Shift

Patience among the public is wearing thin across the region, especially as they’ve battled the virus for longer than most of the world. In Malaysia, the social angst helped force regime change after extended lockdowns fueled job losses but failed to reduce cases.

Street protests against the Thai government that predate Covid have evolved into pandemic-related rallies. The plight of the working poor in Vietnam -- away from promising middle-class jobs for multinational companies -- is increasing pressure on the government to re-open.

In Singapore and the Philippines, businesses are becoming more vocal about difficulties in long-term planning due to the lack of certainty around government policies.

As a result, there is now a growing shift in Southeast Asia to treat Covid-19 as endemic, with the likes of Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand emulating Singapore’s strategy to learn to “live with the virus.”

Indonesia, the region’s biggest economy, is focused on the long game. Ministers are attempting to cement rules like a years-long mask mandate rather than implementing on-and-off mobility curbs. They’re also rolling out “road maps” for specific areas like offices and schools in order to outline more permanent rules in the new normal.

Reporting the number of daily cases is now becoming less important than their severity. This is especially true for the two most-vaccinated in Southeast Asia -- Singapore, which ranks among the world’s best above 80%, and Malaysia, with about half the population fully inoculated.

Targeted Lockdowns

In place of national or regional lockdowns, the Philippines is looking to apply mobility curbs in more targeted zones -- down to the street or even house. Vietnam, too, is testing this strategy, with Hanoi instituting travel checkpoints as officials vary restrictions based on virus risk in different areas of the city.

Only those with vaccine cards can enter malls and places of worship in Jakarta, or head to the cinemas in Malaysia. Restaurants in Singapore are required to check the vacciation status of diners. In Manila, officials are considering “vaccine bubbles” for workplaces and public transport.

While this strategy may reduce the damage to the broader economy, the risk is that an unequal distribution of vaccines -- in Malaysia, for instance, to economically vital states rather than poorer areas -- may unfairly disadvantage lower-income residents.

Is the US sending over surplus vaccines to Vietnam? It should be.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Just flat out admitting that Capitalism makes it impossible to adequately respond to pandemics.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Jaxyon posted:

Just flat out admitting that Capitalism makes it impossible to adequately respond to pandemics.

Yeah. That's the lesson I've taken from the past 2 years. A societal order whose existence depends on generating a certain amount of profit all the time is basically unable to cope with serious, uncontrollable developments.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Being incapable of responding to any "crises of the commons" such as a pandemic would be is one of the foundational contradictions of it to the point that it was something Smith and Ricardo sought to find answers for. They also said stuff like rent seekers and landlords are bad tho so lol.

Marx also addressed it, but his take was more along the lines of "they'll address a tuberculosis outbreak by making it mandatory to catch tuberculosis" as elaborated upon in Kapital and, well,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
New thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979298