Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

6x01 is out, and a great start imo.

Not gonna lie, I wish it was 3 new AU teams plus Jackson/Alex as they weren’t able to do last season, but I’m looking forward to seeing the newbies too.

Definitely the right top two, and winner picked. Was hoping the French would fall harder into a natural villain role and fight Brickman more, but obviously knew you can’t ignore the judge.

I remember reading either here or somewhere else that the American team isn’t super high regarded? I wonder why they didn’t go for a season winner, obviously with some of the other countries you need a pair that can speak English for the TV side, but the US should have that part covered at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I've not watched any other countries Lego Masters, but the American contestants definitely had that American reality TV persona. That said, I'm sure they're playing it up a bit in the editing.

I'm curious how they will avoid perceptions of it being rigged, be funny if all the Aus teams leave first.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TBH I enjoyed the trash talking from the international teams.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember reading either here or somewhere else that the American team isn’t super high regarded? I wonder why they didn’t go for a season winner, obviously with some of the other countries you need a pair that can speak English for the TV side, but the US should have that part covered at least.

Usually with reality competition shows, they don't get 100% the cream of the crop back for the all-star seasons. They often wind up with, like, a forgettable 4th place team or two filling out the cast.

A lot of past teams aren't going to want to do it. I imagine it's a big time commitment, especially if they're filming in Australia. The pay is not nearly as good as most people think it is either. It's not airing on Fox in the US like the American version is, so you'd be going across the world for weeks to shoot a show that's not going to get you much publicity at home.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s fair, maybe they truly were the best option! I’m kinda surprised they did work out broadcast rights for the competing countries tbh, I guess they don’t want the world to realise what they’re missing out on by not having Hamish be their host ;)

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
This is a paid vacation to the best brick collection in the world where you get to hang out with people that share your passion.

It hurt, how excited the Americans were to get 14 hours instead of the 8 Fox would have given them for a first build.

Germans absolutely dominated that opener. I was a little sad to see no Asian teams, but who's to say that won't be oz-vs-world s2?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there any way for foreigners to watch it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://southhemitv.com/2024/04/14/lego-masters-6-1/

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ep 2 was OK, felt more like a filler than LM:AU usually does, but still delightful. Best moment was Annaleena Mario Karting a chunk of the hotdog car at Michelle.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yessss I’m glad someone else noticed that too. I’m not sure how happy I would’ve been if hot dog car hadn’t won, because the damage was being caused by disqualified opponents at that point. She totally should’ve avoided everyone and gotten over the like in one piece though.

I thought it was a pretty fun episode personally, and tsk that the internationals don’t know best friend of the shoe Sophie Munk.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Red Riding Hood Horror was a safe and boring choice, but again the German's executed it beautifully.

The figures the Dane's did had such emotion in the body language they should have won, with a 2-way tie between the Wiz of Oz and Western Cindy.

The two guys that went home were definitely the right call. They've been disappointing throughout. Backwards bending knees and a giant boring brown box, FFS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The second they said they were proud of their build, I knew they were done.

Also thought Brickman should’ve held it against the Germans for pairing that subject/genre together. They did a good job of it, but it was a cop out to essentially pick a theme that is already instilled in that subject.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Some thoughts on the first episode:

I know they just did an All-Star season, but I'm a bit disappointed the Australia teams are not previous contestants. I would think they're at a big disadvantage to the experienced teams.

I remember both the Americans as being solid builders.

If this beauty queen was on the American version, she'd be wearing a ball gown every episode.

The contestant who is already a professional Lego builder seems a bit like cheating. I'm reminded of the guy on Season 2 of Blown Away who was already a professor of glass at RISD.

Uh oh, the German team are previous champs. Front-runners already.

:lol: "Where did the idea for the pencil come from?" Both constants look at the pencil on the table.

Brickman is too kind to the French team in the critique, that build sucks.

The German build is very cool, but the connection to the brief is very tenuous. I woulda punished them for it by not giving them the win even though their build was the best.

Woo boy did the professional Lego builder not deliver on her first build.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PostNouveau posted:

Some thoughts on the first episode:

Woo boy did the professional Lego builder not deliver on her first build.

Yeah, I was so ready for some A grade building from her and… it’s not really transpired.

The main thing I’m hoping from an Australian team is seeing visible improvements as the season goes on, it’s happened before and I’m praying it happens again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Not much to say about the go karts. Every one came out looking pretty well, but after seeing the race, it was pretty obvious that only the very sleek design like the model that Hamish was driving around would survive the track. (And maybe that one would have gotten all hosed up by getting bumped around.)

I'm a bit annoyed at the order of the challenges giving TWO teams immunity going into the first elimination.

I think the team that went off in the third episode was pretty obvious. I didn't notice them talking about it during the build, but it seems from their critique that they were trying for some kind of perspective shift from outside the coliseum to inside, and I think they got lost in the sauce. I liked their build from the ice breaker episode a lot. The scenery wound up looking pretty amateurish, especially compared to their solid characters, but I think the issue was more in the concept than it seems at first glance.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I really like the still life duplication episodes. Some of my favorites.

Bottom two teams in the bottom because they had fundamental flaws in scale and shape, but I'm not sure the right team went home.

The painting turned out way better than I thought it would, but the dithering they did on the floor in the bottom of the frame made it look worse and they could have taken the greebling to the actual image more, but considering how awesome the frame turned out, maybe they didn't have time.

I'm not upset the Germans won yet again because that build audacious and well exectued, but I was really pulling for the Danes because those mini cakes were flawless designs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Love these episodes

I would just try to survive this challenge. I mean it is a great time to shine and people do awesome things, but it's so high risk for not a ton of reward. So far, the teams that get caught out get real boned.

The chessboard is very cool. I think the picker got it kinda randomly despite it being the first thing she said.

I don't think the suitcases came out as well as everyone says. The wool doesn't look remotely like wool. I thought the Danes should have won. Those cupcakes ruled.

The guest picker crushed it. I didn't think she'd get half of what she did. This is the only celebrity in Australia, I take it? She's a friend of Hamish who is constantly doing him solids?

Elimination teams seemed pretty obvious. I might have had the Americans in the bottom two instead of the team that built the table.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The way the table was presented in the judging comparison, it felt like the expectation was to do the plant pot on it also. It felt like they scraped through on a technicality and being smart enough to pick something Sophie wouldn’t even assume was a valid choice. The French not taking the advice to change their mind and start again cost them that tho, really.

Last nights Robot Wars/Battlebots episode was fun! The matches were legit exciting and it was a great result.

Also the preview for tonight’s episode shows we have an exciting, new celebrity guest to look forward to just kidding, it’s best friend of the show Sophie Munk again. I love that they’re just using her for everything now. Sad we’ve not had Jordi at all this year though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

The way the table was presented in the judging comparison, it felt like the expectation was to do the plant pot on it also. It felt like they scraped through on a technicality and being smart enough to pick something Sophie wouldn’t even assume was a valid choice. The French not taking the advice to change their mind and start again cost them that tho, really.

Last nights Robot Wars/Battlebots episode was fun! The matches were legit exciting and it was a great result.

Also the preview for tonight’s episode shows we have an exciting, new celebrity guest to look forward to just kidding, it’s best friend of the show Sophie Munk again. I love that they’re just using her for everything now. Sad we’ve not had Jordi at all this year though.

He was in the first episode. They had him dressed up a stereotype of each country waving their flags to bring the teams out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

God my memory is so bad, yes of course.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

S5 - Ida is my favorite part of this season.

S6 - The winning build felt like it was going to win from like hour 2, purely on the concept and scale. The underwater one was too busy with too boring a centerpiece, in terms of color and space. It needed more color variation and dynamism in posing of the shark. Monkey land is the second time Brickman has cautioned a non-winning build about mixed figure scales, and I hope people start paying attention to that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was really hoping someone would do a minifig scale entry with a ton of little things going on like we’ve seen in years past. Whether it would be more impressive to the general public, who knows, but those are always my favorite storytelling builds.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A Battlebots challenge! Be still my heart.

Obviously you gotta go back to the meta-breaking design of the early Battlebots days and just build a robot that's a moving wedge.

They don't usually dress them in costumes on this version, but I feel like the German team has chosen a costume and that costume is "check out how in-shape we are".

I predict the Danes win based on these early designs. They can't get the lifter working but also do not need a lifting element at all to win, just a wedge. Forks are a decent compromise, but they'd be better lower on the wedge. I feel like this Danish guy has seen a lot of Battlebots.

None of these balloon popper mechanisms are long enough unless you expect to be able to get behind your opponent. Which may well be possible with a bunch of rookie drivers, but it's not really reliable. Brickman knocks one of the Aussie teams off this direction, but it's true for all of them. They even gave them a clue about this with the model bots as the one with a puncture pin had a veryyyyy long arm for it.

:lol: at the Aussies getting offended by kangaroo punching.

Gonna write this like a Battlebots post from here:

The Fly vs. The Boxer: Prediction: Hard to pick a favorite here both look rather crap. I suppose the Boxer is better on paper because it's putting its drive power into a fairly singular point, whereas that claw isn't likely to do poo poo.

lol the motors on these things are craaaaaaaaap. The Fly got a better chance than I thought they would but didn't convert.

The Alien Warrior vs. The Texas Minotaur: Prediction: Both these look useless for the purpose, but I think the Minotaur has the edge because of the front fork, which is a very solid strategy in Battlebots. Driving will be key in this one.

It seems like these things are barely even functional. I don't feel like they did a lot of testing weight on these carriages.

Caveman vs. Stingray: Prediction: Oh Stingray all the way. The caveman is way too big based on what kind of driving we've seen from the other teams. I dunno if that thing is going to move at all.

This is definitely the most Battlebots-like fight so far. Obviously the Stingray won through the obvious method.

3-way Rumble: Prediction: Danes dominate unless the other teams gang up against them.

Yuuuuup.

This was a fairly sad affair though. Hard to make that look exciting; it was pretty clear nothing was really working as envisioned.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They have K Marts in Australia? I think all the K Marts in America disappeared a decade ago.

Obvious outcome from early in the episode and it's not an elimination when they team them up. I've seen some reality competition shows where they DO make elimination in team builds, and it's a very nasty affair every time because there has to be finger-pointing. Not a Lego Masters type of vibe.

The undersea build came out a lot better than it looked in the room once they added all the colorful sea life.

:lol: at Anissa reaching the Platonic ideal of soulless German build machine.

Ida is my favorite as well. I cracked up at her describing their build in terms of monkey screech tones.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Australian teams are getting absolutely bodied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Example #27 of a team going home because they didn't listen to Brickman. Also the foreground purple coral walls was an abysmally stupid idea. It looked like they got confused about the layers and had the background in front, midground in back, and foreground in the middle. I feel like all the cartoon choosers should have taken a slight penalty for going easy-mode compared to all the teams trying for humans, and the Danes had no place down in the bottom two.