Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Gonna miss your threads, Fiendly. Thanks for the ride through this bizarre and mostly terrible franchise. I'm kinda surprised nothing's really stepped up to fill the void of the car combat genre since Jaffe nose dived Twisted Metal off the edgey cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

They keep trying to make Carmageddon a thing, but we all know that's never gonna happen. I think I said it in an earlier episode, but it's like platform collectathons, the genre just seems to have died quietly mid PS3/360 era without anyone noticing.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Car combat was dead as poo poo by the time the PS2 rolled around. Black gave it one last masterpiece, but it was hardly a resurgence for the genre, Twisted Metal was the only series still trying to make it work after that point (barring a handful of weird outliers like Blood Drive and Carmageddon). It was a very short-lived fad, and they still managed to wring pretty much all it was worth out of it. Some have called the Mad Max game on PS4 car combat, and while I don't fully agree, it's as close as we've gotten in a full console generation.

In a perfect world, Twisted Metal would be a once-per-console thing like Smash Bros to show off what it can do on new hardware without wearing out its welcome, and also wouldn't be a mess. I don't think either of those things are possible in the hands of the original devs, but they poisoned the well for handing the series off to other devs to make sure there would be fan revolts if Sony ever tried that again.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is Mario Kart car combat?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
According to this video, yes, in battle mode, but it sucks. If you're racing, it's not car combat (wish someone had told Twisted Metal that before they made a sixth of the game racing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Burnout was pretty good at mashing together racing and car combat. You only win by coming in first, but you can (in some versions) be the only racer remaining if you do it right. The combat is entirely ramming into and shoving your opponent, no weapons to speak of, but you can still ruin someone's day.

I've subbed to your channel, so I hope I'll see more stuff from you soon.