Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

quote:

And now that I have your attention, I'll begin. Welcome. As you know, this entertainment is called Dispatches from Elsewhere. A title that, I assure you, will have more relevance as the story progresses. Unless this is your first experience with a limited run episodic (which our records indicate it is not) then you're aware of the storytelling convention which dictates that the filmmaker spend an unnecessary amount of time to introduce you to our protagonist; his occupation; the particularities of his life; and most importantly, the obstacles which stand in the way of his happiness. As the first of my many gifts to you, my friends, I propose we skip this convention and get on with what you came here for: the story.

Four people find themselves invited to participate in... something? Is it a game? Is it a conspiracy? Is it a contest? Is it, somehow, all real?

This is Peter. Think of him as you.

quote:

Peter is living a life without risk. A life without pain. A life without real joys. This is existing, not living.

This is Simone. Think of her as you.

quote:

Simone is you if you woke up every morning believing today would be the day you could finally be happy, not realising that you were the only obstacle standing in your way.

This is Janice. Think of her as you.

quote:

Janice is you, if years ago you found exactly what you were looking for; or, as anyone with real time under their belt would admit, nothing close to exactly, but lovely nonetheless. Janice is you if, after years of building a life, an identity, a family, through sickness and in health, from births to graduations, life swooped in with its harshest of reminders.

This is Fredwynn. Think of him as you.

quote:

Fredwynn is you if you've ever obsessed over anything so badly that it ached in your chest. Fredwynn is you if you believe that, if you could just cross the finish line; solve that mystery; get that promotion; buy that house, then perhaps you might just feel....okay.

This is Clara. She is you.

And of course there's the Elsewhere Society and the Jejune Institute. Who are they and what do they really want?

quote:

I should like to confess now that I lied to you once (and only once) during my introduction. I can assure you, however, that I remain a reliable narrator.

This show is really good so far. Episode three was on today but I haven't had time to watch it yet. I don't know what's going on but I feel like the answer to the mystery doesn't even matter because it's really all about the characters, and the characters are great.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world
It's extremely good, and very well acted, and very funny. I also think it's laughing at me for watching.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Such a weird show so far, I love it.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Richard E. Grant can calmly talk to the camera for hours speaking only gibberish and I'd be fully on-board.

I watched the first episode, and I like what they're doing with this. It's like a more down-to-earth Maniac.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I watched the first episode, and I like what they're doing with this. It's like a more down-to-earth Maniac.
After watching episode three I'm not sure if "down-to-earth" is entirely accurate. The virtual reality time travel glasses and the other inventions mentioned in the presentation are very retro-scifi. And the clown-child at the end was... something?

Apropos of nothing, a couple of other screenshots I liked.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

This show is so weird, and so good

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
It reminds me a lot of The OA, which is a great thing imo. It hooked me immediately, though, where OA took a bit. It's pretty rare that I fall in love with a show at first sight but I think this is the real deal. The characters, the humour, the insane weirdness, it all comes together so far. I just hope they stick the landing.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
I really like a show that doesn't wait a season or two to let you know it's going to fly up its own butt after exposition. This one literally rockets out of the gate telling you "gently caress IT!, HERE WE GO!"

If you're going to tell a super-goobery story like this, dive right on into the deep end. Don't LOST us, you boners.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fredwynn reminds me of a friend of mine.

Next episode is "Clara", and I feel like we're due for some forward movement, as far as plot is concerned. Still very much invested in this show, I just don't have a lot to say about it because I still can't tell where it's heading.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

PopetasticPerson posted:

It reminds me a lot of The OA, which is a great thing imo. It hooked me immediately, though, where OA took a bit. It's pretty rare that I fall in love with a show at first sight but I think this is the real deal. The characters, the humour, the insane weirdness, it all comes together so far. I just hope they stick the landing.
Oh good someone else feels this way.

Both of these shows are zany but not in a “look at how zany this is” way and I love it.

The oa went so far off the rails in a hurry, I miss it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Elsewhere Society

The Jejune Institute

Some other pictures

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was a little disappointed by the Fredwynn episode, so it was nice to see it being back to form with Clara.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

On My Own. How awesome

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why are there two threads for this show (this one was made second)

e: here’s the original/actual thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Why are there two threads for this show (this one was made second)

e: here’s the original/actual thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916017

Because I didn't see the other thread when I looked and I wanted to tell people about this good show, and you're the first to tell me there was already another thread. :shrug: