Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

What is Tammy and the T-Rex? Well it’s a cinematic masterpiece for starters.

Denise Richards stars as a lovestruck teenager, Tammy, with Paul Walker as her boyfriend, Michael, in the typical teenage tragedy of your soul mate being forced to live as a mechanical T-Rex. You know, the standard thing that happens in love stories.

Made in less than a month and written in a week, this low budget romance story is wild and charming, with fun campy performances by all the cast. This bluray release is also the first ever release of the film in all of its glory. It was previously released with the gore edited out, but the fine folks at Vinegar Syndrome fixed that problem and now it’s better than ever.

So what’s the purpose of this thread?

Well I want to give you the chance to win a copy of this masterpiece on UHD!

“Machete how do I win such a wonderful work of art?”

I am willing to ship this internationally for people.
[Edit: you'll need a region free bluray player for the 2k bluray, 4k is region free]
[Edit 2: the bluray is region free.. so you can live anywhere and be able to watch it!]
So the only thing you have to do is enter the contest. To enter, simply post a story of a time a movie touched your heart in an interesting way. Bonus points for all entrants who base their story around a Paul Walker movie. They can be heartwarming, sad, comical, whatever you want to share (follow the CineD rules).

I will announce a winner on April 1st.

My own story is about going to see Furious 7 with one of my best friends. He was going through some real poo poo, was out on bail for drug dealing and one of his closest friends had just passed away from an accident. Going to FF movies was one of our traditions. It was always something we could revel in for a couple hours and very few of our other friends understood the appeal the movies had. Fast cars, Vin Diesel always trying to look younger, Han, and over the top stunts. Can’t ask for much more.

So we were having a blast the whole way through, and neither of us really knew what the send off scene would be like (though we both knew one was coming). We finally get to the scene, and I’m thinking to myself “this is alright, a little hokey even by ff standards but I get why” when I look over and he’s gushing tears and crying like I’ve never seen him do. Before you know it I’m tearing up too. There we are crying over CGI Paul Walker and sharing in the loss of a great friendship and how that personally connected with us.

We left the movie, hugged it out and went for drinks to cheer up and commiserate with him telling me stories about his friend that had passed and vowing to not let his likely prison stint impact our friendship. For that reason Furious 7 is my favorite in the series.

Now it's your turn!

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

A Serious Story: a few years ago I had a friend who died very young (she was hit by a truck as a pedestrian, i didn't get a whole lot more of the story nor did I want to) and since she was a friend I had made outside of other friend groups I hadn't really had any time to mourn her beyond sadness and drinking in the immediate aftermath of her death. About 9 months later I got a chance to see a screening of Me and Earl and the Dying Girl at a festival before its regular release, and I went expecting your usual YA fun with some film nerd flourishes, and it was that for the first 80% of the movie, but in the last 20% of the movie (where the Dying Girl, you know, dies), the main character makes this wonderful sort of dream-like film tribute to her while she's in her death bed, and that's the point where I started uncontrollably sobbing in the theater, not loud enough to bother anyone (i hope) but definitely enough that I was constantly wiping tears off of my face, and this continued through the end of the movie and through the entire post-film 20 minute director Q&A. I had so connected with the movie because it was about a young man who had made and lost a friend in a short time, which mirrored my situation and allowed 9 months of repressed feelings to bust out all at once. It was definitely a little awkward to have that happen in public but I still cherish her memory and the memory of that movie because of that.

A really goofy story: i think i've made fun of people who get angry at movies adapted from things from their childhood quite a bit, to the point where I probably claimed that I'd never felt that way about a movie before. That said, the first time I saw a trailer for Detective Pikachu on the big screen i definitely started welling up because i was seeing Pokemon but with real people! And it looked like it did in my imagination! It was all very exciting. I felt like an idiot shortly after but it was just like the inner 8-year-old buried deep within me coming up for just a moment to celebrate.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A funny story: Jackass: The Movie was released in theaters in 2002, my freshman year of college. I had returned home to the Chicago area for a weekend, and it just so happened that my best friend from high school had gone home, too, so we decided to go see it at the local AMC in Naperville.

First off, that was, by far, the hardest I have ever laughed in a movie theater. Steve-O bouncing from a trampoline into a ceiling fan is peak cinema:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4vkOlWicsQ

But anyway, after the movie and we were walking in the parking lot to my friend's car, I suddenly broke out into utter hysterics. I was laughing completely uncontrollably, and I don't mean chuckling, I mean just the inexorable cackling of someone who has completely lost his marbles. My friend, Paul, was looking at me as though I had completely lost my mind; at one point I was standing next to his car and I was still laughing. Obviously, by this point, the tears were flowing as well. Finally, I regained my composure and we got into the car.

And another laughing fit ensued. Paul was just like, "Dude, Tim, what the gently caress is wrong with you?" Such a fond memory.

A serious story: I have been very upfront with all y'all that I am a very gratefully recovering alcoholic. The first time I saw Leaving Las Vegas was in college and I didn't think much of it, it was just a movie.

Well, it was up on Netflix about a year after I entered rehab on March 23, 2009, and I watched it with my now-ex-wife one night ... and it rocked me. I don't think I've ever seen a more vividly realistic depiction of late-stage alcoholism (When a Man Loves a Woman is also very realistic, but that's more about co-dependency and the role of the enabler in an alcoholic relationship), and I saw everything in Ben Sanderson's character that, with a little over a year of sobriety under my belt at the time, was absolutely 24-year-old me back in 2009: The self-loathing, the anger, the wish to die but feeling too cowardly to eat a gun or something, so instead trying to kill oneself via apathy and booze. That night we watched it, I spent the entire night in bed staring at the ceiling, because it made me realize that if my then-wife and my best friend Bryce hadn't dragged me into rehab with a court order, I would have died drunk, and I was gifted a second chance that a lot of addicts and alcoholics don't ever get.

There isn't a single false note in that film, and much like United 93, it's one of the greatest films I don't ever want to watch again.

(Note: I don't have a 4K player or TV, just a 720p plasma from 2007.)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Akounak Tedalat Taha Tazoughai (tr.: Rain the Color of Blue with a Little Red in It).
As you may have guessed, this is a take-off on Purple Rain, which my partner and I watched before watching this. It benefited from that contrast, as the rather bare nature of this film (set in Niger, focusing on the Tuaregs, and using the Tamashek language) brings out the main conflicts and motivational intersections of the characters more cleanly than Purple Rain. So watching star Mdou Moctar stroll around, try to find a place to fit into a band, try to develop a relationship with the love interest, and eventually win over his religiously strict father to understand that not all guitar music is immoral... it's an uncommonly earnest film experience. And while it's a bit amateurish in ways, that sort of adds to the overall charm.

On top of that, we were watching it about a week before catching Mdou Moctar live, which, alone with the handheld nature of a lot of the camera-work, made it easy for us to project ourselves into the performance scenes. And those were the highlights, with the exuberance of the musicians in getting to play, and share their playing with a wider audience, coming through fantastically. There's so much enthusiasm for so many aspects of music, even through the rough edges, that really made it such a special watch for me.

A Walk in the Clouds
Stilted at times, formulaic overall, but something about watching it with my current partner (who's probably the first healthy long-term relationship I've had in my life) had me just quietly crying for at least a dozen minutes towards the end. The last time I saw it, I think I was in middle school, so there's been some (some!) emotional maturation in the interval. In short, Keanu is a man recently returned from WWII, who finds himself estranged from his wife. Intending to work as a traveling chocolate salesman, his defense of a fellow passenger on a bus leaves him stranded with her in Sacramento, where she's about to return to her family, but with a pregnancy and no husband. Keanu poses as the husband, intending to leave after a day or two so that he'll be the target of the family's anger, instead of their daughter, but things go awry and true love blossoms.

I still can't pin down what it was about this movie that managed to get past my emotional defenses, but my fondness for Keanu as the leading man was probably the first lever opening me up. The supporting actors are enjoyable, with Anthony Quinn as the love-encouraging grandfather being a stand-out of emotional warmth. The film looks much better than I remembered, and shots of the Californian vineyards which form the family's heritage and livelihood get some luxurious filming. The climax overdoes it a bit with allegory (Keanu uprooting the original grapevines from which all of the family's farm was sourced, to provide a new start after fire has destroyed all of the others), but the build-up and release of emotion works well, if you're receptive to it. The context of who I was watching it with, and where (in a new apartment, after moving several states away with her; I'd also managed to upset her family in our initial meeting, to the point of getting her kicked out of her house at the time, for which they later apologized) was the clincher for making me come undone at a period-piece romance/drama starring Keanu Reeves.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I told a girl "You make me want to be a better man" once. Yeah, it's cheesy as gently caress, I know.
We had been dating for a while and she didn't really know what to make of my habits and relatively chill disposition to things that would evoke total crazy fights with her previous boyfriends. A month or so earlier she had compared me to Jack's character from As Good as it Gets and we got to talking about the film a lot.

I'm sure she also had that "why can't I just have a normal boyfriend" moment later on. She ended up breaking my heart, of course, and my complete social weirdness caused her a lot of frustration in turn. For a high school relationship it was pretty average, probably. But I really did mean it and I think she knew that.

How does Paul Walker figure into this?
We had a rough patch a year in and had about a month where we were seeing if it could work out. Ended up hanging out a lot and ultimately, after a round of bowling, decided we should go see a movie. I had school so it turned out she went and watched the movie she wanted to see beforehand and instead we caught two random films (Final Destination and Romeo Must Die).

The film she watched while waiting?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmJFlUtWAmE

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Really enjoying the stories so far and you'll putting yourselves out there with them!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I love my Dad, but growing up we didn't have a lot of things in common. He was the first one to admit that. He'd support whatever I was interested in, but he never really understood it and couldn't really talk about it with me. I wasn't into sports, I was a band geek, and I read a lot. My Dad at that point probably hadn't read a book since high school, watched football every Sunday with my Mom, and loved rock music but not the kind of music I was playing in school.

But as I got into middle school I got into horror movies. I don't know why exactly. The horror aisle at our local rental store had terrified me as a kid. They had a giant carboard cutout of Chucky from Child's Play 2 there, and I had nightmares about him cutting my head off like that jack in the box he was attacking on the poster. Sometimes I'd build up the fortitude to look at the movies themselves, only to be scared off by that hologram Jack Frost cover or the Dead Alive cover. I imagined the plots of all these movies to be infinitely more horrific than they really were.

But something clicked at some point, maybe as I started to get interested in how movies were made. I started watching movies and even bought myself an Army of Darkness t-shirt, which I had to turn inside out at one point because a kid at school claimed it was Satanic.

Anyway, my Dad never seemed to a "movie buff". We'd do family movie nights, sure, but he never really talked about his favorite movies or anything like that. But one night I was sitting on the couch, about to head back to bed, when my Dad was flipping around on TV.

"You ever see Night of the Living Dead?"

I hadn't. I was still young, I still thought black and white movies were "boring", and I hadn't even heard of George Romero yet despite living 15 minutes away from the mall in Dawn of the Dead. So I told him I'd watch it with him.

It was one of the best nights of my childhood. Dad and I basically watched the movie in complete silence. I was shocked at what I saw, both the level of violence I wasn't expecting from a black and white movie and the idea that a movie could have a deeper message. At the end of the movie I just started gushing about it, how crazy it was and how the ending of the movie made me feel. My Dad went on to explain how they did some of the special effects, the fact that it was filmed extremely close to us, and even rewound it to show a specific zombie that was a guy he went to high school with. loving awesome.

I've watched a lot of horror movies with my Dad since then (including an amazing night watching Paranormal Activity where my Dad thought it was a real documentary), but this will always be the most important movie memory to me. It's one of the first times I started thinking of my parents as people with interests and lives, and it helped turn me into the horror junkie I am today.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

On a day of 2018 I wont soon forget I was at the San Francisco Alamo Drafthouse for a showing of the remake of Suspiria. This was in fact my second viewing of this movie in the same day. I had seen it earlier and it left such an impact on me that I texted a like minded horror buddy of mine and told him to see it immediately. turns out not only was he already planning on seeing it that very day, but his husband bailed last minute and he had an extra ticket and I'm not one to turn a free ticket down so in for round two I went for what was an already emotionally exhausting experience.

we had a couple rounds of booze before the movie started as I prepared myself and did my best to not talk too much about the movie beyond what I had texted earlier so my buddy went in as fresh as could be.

The movie went on and the crowd was really getting into it. Now there is a moment in the movie where the lead character begins to dance the main dance of the film, Volk, and this causes another dancer in another room to become possessed by the dance, which in turn seemingly breaks every bone in her body in a torturous scene of agony from the dancer as she's twisted up into a disfigured flesh pretzel. As the scene went on and on, flashing back and forth between the tortured dancer and the volk dancer, behind me a few rows back I could hear small cries. from the back I'd hear "help, help". I initially thought it was a weird mix of the movie or something that I didnt hear the first time. the plea's for help got a bit louder "help, help, I really need help. I think he's dying, please help". Now that's definitely not the movie. with the scene over the cries for help got louder and people start looking around for where its coming from.

the house lights come on, the movie goes down and as I look around there's confused looks, looks of relief as this very shocking moment of the film is finally over and there's a moment of respite despite an emergency happening.

turns out someone in the back of the theater was having a seizure, possibly due to the action of the movie and quick editing between both scenes. the manager comes out, apologizes for the interruption and then follow the paramedics to clear out the person who was going through the seizures (no idea on the condition of the person). the manager comes back out and apologizes once again and tells the theater that the film will begin again shortly. A few beats goes by, lights go down and the screen lights back up. Right back to the very beginning of the Volk dance and we as a collective audience cant help but laugh that we will once again have to watch this poor dancer turn into a pile of bones and flesh. I still assume to this day this must've been some cruel joke played by the projectionist.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm not entering the contest, I just want everyone to know how much cooler I am than everyone else.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I can watch lots of wild poo poo with my sibling, we watched Requiem for a Dream together, but we had to tap out on The Man Who Fell to Earth early on when it became Rip Torn's Dick Festival and agree to watch it separately.

I still don't know if they've seen it.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

CPL593H posted:

I'm not entering the contest, I just want everyone to know how much cooler I am than everyone else.

Dang how'd you manage that??

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
EDIT:
Wrong thread

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 27, 2020

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

1995. My family was broke, and we very rarely went to the movies, and when we did, it was the dollar theater. I was 8, almost 9, and Toy Story was out. My mom was excited to see it, because, hey, it's a kids movie and will distract her three young'uns, and also the birth of a new form of motion picture: Computer Animated Films. Her grandmother, my great grandmother, was 83 at the time, and they both thought it'd be neat for her to see the movie with us, since she'd been there to see talkies start, to see color films start; etc.

The film started, and Great Grandma and Mom were so excited to see this Big Moment in Cinema together. Ten minutes in, my great grandma was so bored, she fell asleep and started snoring. My mom had to wake her up every few minutes for the rest of the movie because she snored so loudly.

And that's always stuck with me, and been a fantastic memory for me of my Great Grandma. Here she was, excited about A New Kind of Film, and just snoozed right through it. It's silly, but makes me happy whenever I think of it. I still miss her.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Haha that's a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I want to thank every one that contributed again for taking part!

Sorry I'm a day late!

With that said, time to announce a winner!

I enjoyed all the stories, but the poster I'd like to award the winner is.....

A Fancy Hat!

A fine example of how movies help people find connections and strengthen bonds. I really appreciate getting to read it!

One last thank you to everyone!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

MacheteZombie posted:

I want to thank every one that contributed again for taking part!

Sorry I'm a day late!

With that said, time to announce a winner!

I enjoyed all the stories, but the poster I'd like to award the winner is.....

A Fancy Hat!

A fine example of how movies help people find connections and strengthen bonds. I really appreciate getting to read it!

One last thank you to everyone!

Thank you so much!!! I really enjoyed writing this up, it felt kind of cathartic especially being in quarantine and having not seen my Dad for a few weeks. I don't have Platinum though, so no DMs. Can I email you my address?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

Thank you so much!!! I really enjoyed writing this up, it felt kind of cathartic especially being in quarantine and having not seen my Dad for a few weeks. I don't have Platinum though, so no DMs. Can I email you my address?

Absolutely, machetezombieSA@gmail.com