Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

alnilam posted:

Known in some circles as 2 gallons

Right but iirc the instant pot largest size is only 8 quarts total.

You also don't want to overfill a pressure cooker of beans or other starches that can foam up. I am assuming they meant 8 cups since that's a reasonable number for 1lb of beans anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So apparently the Netherlands is having the same problem as the US with COVID contaminated workers in meat plants. Thing is, I eat meat pretty much every day because I can just grill a burger in 10 minutes, boil some pasta and that’s it (anything more complex I get takeout or ready made from the store). Is there anything similarly simple but vegetarian?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

check the vegan cooking thread for recipes that aren't just meat replacement, but the simplest answer to your question is just buy veggie burgers and pasta sauce with no meat. they cook up identically in terms of time and effort.

TVP (textured vegetable protein), carne soya, soy protein - all the same name for a dirt cheap 'meat replacement' that is very shelf stable. i use this in my ragu and eat quick pasta for at least a couple meals a week.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Usually what I do is cook large batches of things and reheat them over the week for dinner. Something like chana masala or black bean soup or refried beans reheat very well so you can do that, plus some rice or noodles or whatever and some veggies maybe.

The difficulty will be sourcing a recipe and ingredients. If you use canned beans the cooking will probably be pretty easy. Something like a middle east or an Indian grocery (are those common in the Netherlands?) would be the best bet for stocking up, they'll have the spices you need, plus beans.

And yeah I'd check out the vegan thread, I'm really bad at posting recipes but the OP posts a million of them. Find something beany that looks good and can be made with canned beans (good for starting out), then make enough for at least a few days to see if that routine would work for you.

edit: I'll add that the vegan thread is intended for foods that aren't in the "meat substitute" category. There's nothing wrong with them IMO, I have them occasionally, but that thread is an exploration of a more "whole-foods" approach, as in using lots of veggies, beans, spices, and grains to make food.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 25, 2020

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Premade fake meats are also why normies always think it's expensive to go vegetarian. They assume that instead of buying meat you buy fake meat, and don't imagine that perhaps you buy none at all.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

its been my experience for years that the less effort a vegetarian food puts into being a 'meat replacement', the more delicious the result is.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't think there's anything wrong, though, with being able to think "I have a craving for buffalo wings, let's figure out how to approximate that without using meat." For example using jackfruit for bbq, or smoked coconut for BLT-ish strips. I guess that still requires knowing your ingredients pretty well and figuring out how to use them. Even the times when I marinate a bunch of tofu and bake it in thin strips, I'm not thinking of it as "fake meat" or whatever but I'm still usually planning on using it to fill in gaps in dishes that I used to use meat for (to give body to a sandwich, or a salad, etc., even maybe the classic tofu scramble).

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 25, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SubG posted:

I dunno if it was here or some other thread where I mentioned that my local CSA has meat and dairy that you can add to your produce box, but their meat has been in low supply since the lockdown started. Except duck. So I've been going through a lot of duck. And so I think the defining new recipe for my quarantine so far is duck ramen.
Quoting myself from a ways back because I posted a recipe for what's become one of my lockdown staples but didn't include any pics. Made some more duck ramen yesterday and this time took some pics so:

Duck ramen with handmade ramen noodles, bok choy and onion scapes from the garden, and duck and shiitake mushrooms from the CSA box.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Chinese tomato eggs for breakfast with some home grown chia microgreens. First foray into growing microgreens so just used seeds we already had and it was so stupidly easy that it should be illegal to not grow your own.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

BBQ Dave posted:

But wait! My wife is allergic to walnuts (and no other tree nuts, weird huh?)

It's not weird at all. A lot of people with a Type-1 IgE-mediated allergy (anaphylaxis) to tree nuts don't have that response to all of the tree nuts. Similar proteins in the tree nuts group can cause a reaction to the whole group or it can be very specific to a certain tree nut. Also, while peanut and tree nut allergies do tend to cluster, peanut allergies are not really very similar to the tree nut allergies, hence a person who was tested for both peanuts and almonds with a +ve peanut allergy and a -ve almond allergy could happily eat almond butter if it was produced in a facility that does not process peanuts and does not say "may contain" do not try this at home and everyone was very sure to read the labels very carefully.

Distinctly different is cross-reactive proteins, which you find in interesting cases, two of which I will detail:

Environmental allergens can provoke food allergenic symptoms.

1.) In a cohort of Orthodox Jewish patients with dust mite allergies and no prior exposure to shellfish (a prior exposure being necessary for a reaction,) a reaction to shrimp can be noticed after beginning immunotherapy (allergy shots) to dust mites. This likely shows that dust mites and shrimp share enough common proteins to have a cross-reaction. Ramping up the immune exposure to dust mite scat also caused positive skin prick tests in a population fastidious about exposure to shellfish (jab a toothpick in a shrimp then into the skin, compared to +ve histamine reaction and -ve saline reaction.) Shrimp are bugs.

2.) People with allergies to certain trees can develop Oral Allergy Syndrome (or Fruit Reactive Syndrome) in which say, a reaction to cross-reactive birches also causes mild tingling/itch in the face and oro-pharynx upon ingestion of certain fruits (apple, pear, etc.) because of profilin which is a common protein in both. They can eat the fruit cooked with no symptoms, and the proteins are denatured either by heat (by cooking) or by stomach acid so the tingling ends when they swallow. OAS is generally mild but shouldn't be played with as any reaction can be a much worse reaction than the previous one and there is no way to prove what a reaction will be in future.

Latex allergies and banana share a cross-reactive pathway in certain people, although not all; Latex Fruit Syndrome.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

angerbeet posted:

Latex Fruit Syndrome.

This is my Grindr username. Do not steal.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i am fine with latex and other fruits but bananas make me wheeze. is that normal????

also get red and lovely feeling when i eat shellfish fwiw

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

blk posted:

I have a bunch of dry pasta. I usually prefer pesto to red sauce and am tired of them both. Any other saucing suggestions? Cooking with a pescatarian so ragus might be off the table, and I don't do milk/cream (cheez is OK).

Planning to try romesco but would like for other unconventional ideas.

Rapini Pasta is dirt simple and delicious when done right

BBQ Dave posted:

Cheap, easy, fast! Black bean bake! :)

1 tbsp oil
1 small onion minced
5 garlic cloves minced
.25 cup tomato paste
1 tsp cumin or less
.25 tsp red pepper flakes
1.5 tsp smoked paprika
2 14 oz cans black beans rinsed and drained
.5 cup boiling water
1.5 cup grated sharp cheddar
S&P
tortilla chips

- Preheat oven to 475

- Saute onion in cast iron pan until translucent and barely brown around edges

- Add garlic cook until fragrant

- add tomato paste and spices until dark 2 min at most

- add water and beans

- add S&P

- spread cheese on top

- put in the oven for 10 minutes.

- top with crumbled cotija and whatever other toppings you have on hand like salsa, leftover meats, diced avocado

Gonna have to try this one some day

stinkypete posted:

I made a really bad white trash recipe tonight.

1 hamburger patty chopped up (cooked up last night)
1 can of Ranch style beans drained
1/4 cup pickled Jalapeno peppers (all I had left in the fridge)
1/4 cup shredded cheese

Microwaved it until warm then added 2 types of hot sauce. It was not great but not bad.

Covid cooking is not my best cooking. I just do not want to waste food.

What is your shameful Covid Meal?

Microwaved chicken "patties"* on white bread with mayo, mustard(preferably horseradish kind), and maybe some ketchup too

*sometimes substituted with a veggie burger

angerbeet posted:

It's not weird at all. A lot of people with a Type-1 IgE-mediated allergy (anaphylaxis) to tree nuts don't have that response to all of the tree nuts. Similar proteins in the tree nuts group can cause a reaction to the whole group or it can be very specific to a certain tree nut. Also, while peanut and tree nut allergies do tend to cluster, peanut allergies are not really very similar to the tree nut allergies, hence a person who was tested for both peanuts and almonds with a +ve peanut allergy and a -ve almond allergy could happily eat almond butter if it was produced in a facility that does not process peanuts and does not say "may contain" do not try this at home and everyone was very sure to read the labels very carefully.

Distinctly different is cross-reactive proteins, which you find in interesting cases, two of which I will detail:

Environmental allergens can provoke food allergenic symptoms.

1.) In a cohort of Orthodox Jewish patients with dust mite allergies and no prior exposure to shellfish (a prior exposure being necessary for a reaction,) a reaction to shrimp can be noticed after beginning immunotherapy (allergy shots) to dust mites. This likely shows that dust mites and shrimp share enough common proteins to have a cross-reaction. Ramping up the immune exposure to dust mite scat also caused positive skin prick tests in a population fastidious about exposure to shellfish (jab a toothpick in a shrimp then into the skin, compared to +ve histamine reaction and -ve saline reaction.) Shrimp are bugs.

2.) People with allergies to certain trees can develop Oral Allergy Syndrome (or Fruit Reactive Syndrome) in which say, a reaction to cross-reactive birches also causes mild tingling/itch in the face and oro-pharynx upon ingestion of certain fruits (apple, pear, etc.) because of profilin which is a common protein in both. They can eat the fruit cooked with no symptoms, and the proteins are denatured either by heat (by cooking) or by stomach acid so the tingling ends when they swallow. OAS is generally mild but shouldn't be played with as any reaction can be a much worse reaction than the previous one and there is no way to prove what a reaction will be in future.

Latex allergies and banana share a cross-reactive pathway in certain people, although not all; Latex Fruit Syndrome.

Allergies are weird, couple years ago I was diagnosed as being allergic to Walnuts and Salmon, and "borderline" allergic to Hazelnuts and Soy, yet I've consumed pretty much all of those at some point or another since(mostly by accident, though Soy is so common an ingredient I don't even bother to try to avoid it) and have suffered no apparent issues

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I love this forum! 8 Quarts would have been bathing my feet in cold water and then some beans and spices. I meant cups i hope. I was either drunk or raging mean person. I am banking on just a drunk

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The best vegitarian replacement for meat on the grill is PANEER. It's cheese you can grill. Paint on a savory sauce and some chutney, and you're golden (brown delicious).

Grilled veg is awesome. We just slice an eggplant lengthwise, let it sit with some salt on it to marinate for ten minutes, then grill till mushy and eat whole with salt and pepper. Skin it and blend it with tahini and olive oil, then you have delicious baba ganoush. We also grill summer squash and zucchini/young married, sweet peppers, and tomatoes.

The best replacement for buffalo wings is cauliflower. Breaded and fried and covered in buffalo sauce (or sauce of your choice).

My fiance and I eat meatless most days, even though we are dedicated meat eaters. We just tend to buy less, better quality meat, and use it sparingly, or as a treat. We grilled pork chops outside with the eggplant, it was delicious.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 31, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Suspect Bucket posted:

The best replacement for buffalo wings is cauliflower. Breaded and fried and covered in buffalo sauce (or sauce of your choice).

Ooh yeah, gobi 65 is also fantastic.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

How Wonderful! posted:

Ooh yeah, gobi 65 is also fantastic.

Shh, don't overwhelm them with tasty. It might scare them off.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

gonna make that gobi. yall cant stop me

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Made these the other day. They really are super easy to make.

Not my pic, mine didn't look that pretty. I don't look that pretty either so I'm OK with that. Click image for recipe.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ugh I had the worst cooking failures tonight, first was an attempt at cooking some knockoff spam, after a bunch of complications making it, it ended up being disgusting, then I just couldn't seem to handle cooking eggs right either, ended up just heating up some Eggos

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Pray tell, what complications were there cooking the ham in a can?

I personally have never tried cooking with it, might pick up a can to slice and fry with eggs while camping.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Inceltown posted:

Made these the other day. They really are super easy to make.

Not my pic, mine didn't look that pretty. I don't look that pretty either so I'm OK with that. Click image for recipe.

Do not eat house centipedes

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Anne Whateley posted:

Do not eat house centipedes

gently caress you, you're not even my real dad. I'll do what I want.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

Pray tell, what complications were there cooking the ham in a can?

I personally have never tried cooking with it, might pick up a can to slice and fry with eggs while camping.

Well it was some knockoff brand for one thing, then I ended up using too much oil and heat so almost got hit by hot oil several times, and in the end it ended up being inedible and gross

Real Spam is good though, very salty too

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Knockoff spam is fun to use in kimchi fried rice.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

anakha posted:

Knockoff spam is fun to use in kimchi fried rice.

Well there's good knockoff spam and then there's bad knockoff spam, the kind I used the other day was the latter

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made an excellent riff on a Joe Grey stew in the instant pot with freezer and pantry staples.

4 frozen sausages/bratwurst
2oz frozen bacon chopped into small lardons
2 medium onions
1lb tomatoes or 16oz canned
4 cloves rough chopped garlic
1lb sweet potato diced
3 apples peeled
Chicken broth or 3 chicken stock cubes or equivalent
Salt, pepper, lemon juice
OPTIONAL: 1 tablespoon thai red chili paste, 1 splash heavy cream. 1 cup spinach.

Defrost sausages. Fry bacon on medium-low, then add sausages to brown. Do not cook sausages through, just get a little browning on them. Remove all meat from pot, reserve drippings in pot.
Brown onions low and slow in drippings with a heavy pinch of salt. Once browned, add tomatoes, apples, garlic, and sweet potato, stock cubes, 2 cups water. If in IP, cook 10min high pressure 10min natural release. If stovetop, simmer until sweet potatoes are cooked (probably 30-60 minutes depending on fineness of dice).
Cut sausages into quarters. Add back meat and thai red chili paste, simmer uncovered until sausages are cooked through. Stir in a dollop of cream and spinach. Salt and pepper and lemon to taste. Serves 4, approx 650 calories per serving.

Edit: just reheated a serving for lunch, it got better in the fridge mmmmmm

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 10, 2020

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Hey all been away for a bit. Still well, and hope you all are too.

My wife made minestrone and if you haven't tried it with dumplings instead of pasta you are missing out (especially if you use veggie stock made from your scraps and herb from your garden).

I made some disappointing devils on horseback. I really cooked em to get the bacon crispy and the blue cheese cooked away! The flavor of the blue cheese was still there but not creamy. I suspect that I should have used a harder blue cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Got kinda quiet in here, here are some ideas for leftovers!

Leftover rice? Just add kimchi, fry it up and pop an egg on it (fried or poached are my favorite)

Leftover bananas? Make banana bread! My wife made this and took the whole thing to a local business to thank them for performing COVID protection procedures well beyond the state requirements. Gotta reward those folks since they have to put up with idiots screaming at them.

Leftover Risotto? Pack it into discs, 3 step frying method (seasoned flour, beaten egg with a little water, and panko), cook em golden brown in some canola oil then dust with smoked paprika and serve with lemon wedges.

We everyone is ok!