Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is the manga ending really that disappointing? Doesn't it just basically have Legoshi and Haru finally dating officially?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
So, this arc was supposed to be one of the better ones in the manga, right? What happened here? The pacing felt so rushed to me, did this adapt like 50 chapters or something?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

christmas boots posted:

So, this arc was supposed to be one of the better ones in the manga, right? What happened here? The pacing felt so rushed to me, did this adapt like 50 chapters or something?

they tried to add more material to beef up a couple under-explained plot points in the first half of the season, which ironically left them with less time to depict the stuff from canon. the last few episodes are like a ten-car pileup of plot, nothing gets room to breathe

the shishigumi in general and ibuki in particular suffered a lot from all the compression

TV Zombie posted:

Is the manga ending really that disappointing? Doesn't it just basically have Legoshi and Haru finally dating officially?

the last year-ish of beastars defies belief, explanation, or summary in how surreally awful it gets. i seriously can't think of anything to compare it to. maybe my reference pool is just too limited

it wasn't just the ending itself, though the last few chapters had some serious kicks in the teeth that aggravated people who'd already been ground down by the chapters prior. this decline went on for months

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 29, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Oxxidation posted:

they tried to add more material to beef up a couple under-explained plot points in the first half of the season, which ironically left them with less time to depict the stuff from canon. the last few episodes are like a ten-car pileup of plot, nothing gets room to breathe

the shishigumi in general and ibuki in particular suffered a lot from all the compression

the last year-ish of beastars defies belief, explanation, or summary in how surreally awful it gets. i seriously can't think of anything to compare it to. maybe my reference pool is just too limited

it wasn't just the ending itself, though the last few chapters had some serious kicks in the teeth that aggravated people who'd already been ground down by the chapters prior. this decline went on for months

Yeah that last episode, Jesus. It's not that I object to any particular thing that happens, even y'know, that, but like you said there's no chance for any of that to breathe and I can't help but feel like there's some internal monologue that helps sell it that didn't make it in. Much as I enjoyed that episode where the carnivore and herbivore went to the mall I think that could have been cut.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Season 2 was good, at least. Mostly for being Film Noir as gently caress, which I'm all about.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Maybe this is an indictment of Netflix and the production company but if the production company didn’t know if they’d get a third season until recently, maybe they felt that they had to tie up the loose ends with Rouis and Tem’s killer. Maybe if they knew that they would get three season/ 36 episodes for Beastars before production, things could have been paced better... unless these storylines were running concurrently in the manga as well and were just as mismanaged in its presentation.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
everything we got in season 2 was present and ordered pretty much the same way in the manga, and there's a few more key scenes that they cut (mostly involving legosi's parentage and childhood) and will probably place in season 3. there just wasn't enough space. they needed at least one or two more episodes to pace everything properly, but another whole season would've been way too much

also his name is Louis, the author named him for Louis XIV. netflix's subs are bewilderingly stubborn about refusing to correct that stuff. like, i keep calling him "legosi" just because i prefer how it looks, but "rouis" is an obvious misprint, and "hal?" geddafuckouttahere

e: there's no clearer evidence of this season's production troubles than the fact that its best material was released in a music video that couldn't even be incorporated into the full season. haven't seen that sort of thing since FFXV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyvhvlYvRnc

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 29, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TV Zombie posted:

Maybe this is an indictment of Netflix and the production company but if the production company didn’t know if they’d get a third season until recently, maybe they felt that they had to tie up the loose ends with Rouis and Tem’s killer. Maybe if they knew that they would get three season/ 36 episodes for Beastars before production, things could have been paced better... unless these storylines were running concurrently in the manga as well and were just as mismanaged in its presentation.

The manga starts having serious problems at this point including a ton of abandoned plots. I'm not sure they'd want to tackle it unless the second season gets good ratings.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

e: there's no clearer evidence of this season's production troubles than the fact that its best material was released in a music video that couldn't even be incorporated into the full season. haven't seen that sort of thing since FFXV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyvhvlYvRnc

The YOASOBI music does justify the second season tho

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just finished the mall episode and did feel the show was sort of spinning its wheels there, two new characters just to give us some more sense of carnivore/herbivore relations. Sorry to hear the pacing gets weird after that.

I haven't read manga in a while, I might just follow the show to see how things wrap up or deteriorate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ccs posted:

I just finished the mall episode and did feel the show was sort of spinning its wheels there, two new characters just to give us some more sense of carnivore/herbivore relations. Sorry to hear the pacing gets weird after that.

I haven't read manga in a while, I might just follow the show to see how things wrap up or deteriorate.

the manga has a bunch of little side-stories like the mall episode or the egg sandwich ep from the last season. they're almost always great but it was probably a mistake to include this one in a season already so squeezed for time

a lot of the visual panache from S1 didn't make its way into S2, and it's a shame because this arc had some of the most striking art and composition in the series:

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 29, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Odd ending to the season. Wasn’t until the very last episode that I felt the pacing went really crazy, with not enough time to sell the resolution of the arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i watched s1 and s2 (and then read all of the manga for stuff that happens afterwards) and all i gotta say is:
louis rules and i'm glad he still has the best theme song in season 2. the song that plays when he goes into the meat shop rules

i sure hope the adaptation of the rest cleans up the rest of the story from here-on out or at least continues to look super good.
s2 definitely wasn't as slick as s1 but it still had a ton of standout stuff.