Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pick the winner
This poll is closed.
Maxime Vachier-Lagrave 2 13.33%
Ding Liren 8 53.33%
Anish Giri 0 0%
Sasha Grischuk 1 6.67%
Kirill Alekseenko 0 0%
Ian Nepomniatchni 2 13.33%
Wang Hao 0 0%
Fabiano Caruana 2 13.33%
Total: 15 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Spent the afternoon repeating "Yan Nyep-ohm-nyatch-ee" to myself in preparation for the WC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

rollick posted:

Spent the afternoon repeating "Yan Nyep-ohm-nyatch-ee" to myself in preparation for the WC

Actually it's more like Nay-pom-nish-ee...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNeg3RDcwWk

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Candidates again, probably more fun than the WC will be.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

algebra testes posted:

Candidates again, probably more fun than the WC will be.

I think this is going to be the best title match since Carlsen-Anand II. Not only is Nepomniachtchi a more dynamic player than Karjakin or Caruana, Carlsen has looked mortal in tiebreaks the last couple years making the strategy of playing for rapid less attractive.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah I'm quite excited for Carlsen-Nepo because Nepo plays like a crazy person so the games should be interesting one way or another. I'm very glad Caruana didn't get another shot because I'm bored to tears by his strategy of memorizing engine lines 40 moves deep and then settling for a draw as soon as he has to think for himself.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Speaking of playing like a crazy person, it looks like Nepomniachtchi is getting killed pretty badly here. Yesterday I was hoping that he'd convert and win Candidates with the utterly absurd score of +5. Now it looks like he's going to win with a much more usual mark of +3.

Relatedly, this win will bring Ding back up to 50%. This will give Ding 7/12 after the first two rounds, landing him behind only Giri for that stretch (assuming Giri doesn't lose this round). Really seems like he was done in by the exceptional circumstances around the first leg, with him being separated from his team and held in extended quarantine.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Wang finished in last place and has promptly retired from professional chess altogether. Meanwhile Giri also lost in the last round to let Max slip into second place, not that it really means anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Flayer posted:

Wang finished in last place and has promptly retired from professional chess altogether. Meanwhile Giri also lost in the last round to let Max slip into second place, not that it really means anything.

Ouch, that's pretty rough for Wang.