Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

It'd be fun to also throw in a few odd duck entries, like Lloyd Kaufman and Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Wicked City, Demon City Shinjuku) just to spice up the lower brackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like the Jr bracket idea. Here's my thoughts.

Ballot #1: Your top 10, 3+ horror films required.
Ballot #2: Your 10 others, no real requirements, could have one film, could be a cross genre, wild card, do whatever you want.

Fill the field of 64 with the top 60 from the first ballot. If there's not 60 take the top seeds from second to get there. After that take the top 8 and have them play in to field the last 4 slots.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

It'd be fun to also throw in a few odd duck entries, like Lloyd Kaufman and Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Wicked City, Demon City Shinjuku) just to spice up the lower brackets.
Could Satoshi Kon be included? I feel like his film work tends to ride the line of horror, but Paranoia Agent is definitely horror if we're looking at TV.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK lot of good ideas, here's how I'm gonna break it down.
  • Further discussion and pre-voting to take place in this thread, new thread when the bracket is set
  • Spreadsheet will be set up for 60 directors w/ 4+ Horror films. Separate Spreadsheet for 16 directors with 3 or less.
  • Spreadsheet will also have columns for "top 6 horror films" by each director. We'll post our lists in this thread.
  • "A list" means a post listing the director and your top six films of theirs. If someone else already posted that director, you CANNOT ARGUE their list. Sorry, but we'll be here forever if we do that.
  • All lists will be randomized before tournament begins
  • Horror includes creepier thrillers and suspense movies and stuff like Silence of the Lambs, it does not include monster action movies like Kong:Skull Island
    • Committee to Overrule Stupid Decisions retains the right to overrule any stupid decisions
    • Committee consists of me, STAC, Burkion, Basebf, Timeless, Debbie Does Dagon and TrixRabbi
    • 'Stupid Decisions' is defined as trying to sneak in Not-Horror onto a list, leaving off a vastly better movie or not listing the full 6 when six options exist.
  • First a jungle primary (you get 4 votes among the 16 "2 or less" directors, highest vote-getters get their own last 4 division
  • Normal 6-day voting cycle begins after jungle primary finishes.
    • Each round a random number will be generated between 1-6, and that movie will be used. Unless it's already been used, in which case the next number UP will be used. The same number will be used for ALL movies in each roundFor "jungle" movies, it will just alternate.
    • Each round voting criteria is on "BEST MOVIE" but that means whatever you want, just don't vote on 'historical importance' or 'started career of x'
  • Normal Bracket advancement
  • ONCE THE EVIL EIGHT IS REACHED, all "used" films refresh. Final 3 rounds can use previously-used movies

As an example, I will steal the best horror director who will win.

quote:

Wes Craven
1. Scream
2. Nightmare on Elm Street
3. Scream 4
4. New Nightmare
5. Red Eye
6. The Hills Have Eyes

If I had put "6. Chiller" then I would expect one of the Committee to Overrule Stupid Decisions stepped in to be like, "nah, it's gonna be HHE"

BEGIN!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 8, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Well to start any Wes Craven top 6 without The People Under The Stairs is a punishable crime.

(I know it was an example.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

Well to start any Wes Craven top 6 without The People Under The Stairs is a punishable crime.

(I know it was an example.)

And there's not a single mention of Deadly Friend, which is an even worse crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

per smarter people than me, the Director sorting will go on IN ITS OWN THREAD!