Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Question on email / IM messaging for you all. I'm the Tech Secretary for my sports club; currently our discussion boards are hosted on Yahoo groups. This has worked OK for many years, mainly because of the accessibility of email as a discussion medium - daily & weekly digests are useful for people who don't want multiple mails a day, and email is accessible to all of our members (we have a decent number of members over 50 years old). However, times have changed and Yahoo is becoming more and more creaky, so I'd like to replace it with a more modern alternative.

Couple of options I'm considering:
- Teams
- Slack
- discussion board on our website (wordpress hosted, and we already have member integration on the site)
- ? discord
- ? Google groups

I've already discounted Facebook due to privacy concerns (and lots of members who have explicitly opted out of Facebook at this point) and Whatsapp doesn't scale well to the ~200 members we have in the club. The main concerns for the club are cost and making everything as simple to use as possible. I've got experience with Slack at work and everything seems fine there, but there's the free limit of 10k messages to worry about. The free limit on Teams is 300 members, which we aren't in imminent danger of reaching. The other strong option is hosting the discussion groups on our club website - we've already got membership integration to restrict topics to paid-up members and plenty of storage space, the only issue would be that I'd have to manually set everything up and optimise for mobile etc, whereas for Slack and Teams someone else has already done the work.

Any recommendations for sports-club-discussion software that I've missed / recommendations from the set above, or any tips for migrating users over would be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taafis
Dec 1, 2008

keep it nappy or braided up dirty in the cockpit, blazin' up
https://www.discourse.org/ ch-ch-check it out

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

If you want to kick the "email groups" can down the road a bit, I've heard good things about https://groups.io/