Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Viruses and how we communicate about them and respond to them has been a research interest of mine for a long time, so these past few months have been some monkey's paw bullshit for sure.

Last year I was putting together a reader of literature about plague/contagion and quarantine but it felt in poor taste to finish it in the current climate. But it sounds like at least some people are interested in the topic, so here are some of my notes/suggestions.

This list is intentionally light on genre fiction given its original purpose. There is also a bias towards Anglo + French lit. I am less interested in pandemics as a backdrop "excuse" to justify post-apocalyptic settings.
I also do not give even a solitary poo poo about zombies.

Here's my reading list. I mostly talk about the plot/setting here as a hook to see if it sparks your interest, but for most of these I'm more interested in how the language is used and the themes are explored than the events per se.

The usual suspects
  • Boccaccio - The Decameron (1353?). A series of short tales. This gets put in lists like these due to the framing story (of a group of people from different walks of life passing the time in order to wait out the Black Death in Florence). It's not really "about" the plague, but it is funny and readable and enormously influential

• Defoe - A Journal of the Plague Year (1722). Yes I think this is a novel and not non-fiction. The course of the London plague epidemic of 1665. The vignettes that he discusses between the cataloging of deaths and spreads and new laws I've always found fascinating. Fortune tellers, quacks, gravediggers, battling national and subnational political authorities, the works.

• Mann - Death in Venice (1912). The first of (arguably) two or three "Apollonian versus Dionysian novels where the epidemic functions as a way of exacting philosophical costs for living life out of balance" on this list. von Aschenbach's inability to write combined with his obsessive lust for Tadzio is considered the prime example of the commedia dell'arte stock character "il moderatore."

• Saramago - Blindness (1998). An epidemic of blindness in a nameless country as told by a cast of nameless characters. Frank Lloyd Wright talked a lot about tension and release in architecture (e.g. you would walk into a house with low ceilings and small halls and then when you made it into the big vaulted ceiling center room it would be like an almost physical sense of relief and expansion). This is pretty much that book for me. Things get worse and worse to almost a parodic extent and then the end hits you with relief.

Slightly less well-known plague lit
  • Hesse - Narcissus and Goldmund (1930) and Yourcenar - The Black Work / The Abyss / Zeno of Bruges [no idea which translated title is most common] (1968). Both more sort of quixotic novels with epidemics as the backdrop to the central characters' (usually gnostic) quests. I guess I could have included Candide as well under this bucket, but the plague is a more central environmental concern in these works than in Candide. I'm grouping these thematically but know that the prose style is night and day between these novels.

• Mullen - The Last Town on Earth (2006). The Spanish Flu and also the Wobblies and also doomed utopian labor experiments.

Short stories/novellas
  • Marquez -The "plague of insomnia" section from 100 Years of Solitude (1967). It's a wonderful self-contained little anecdote from the novel that I'd recommend even if you haven't the time to go through the whole thing.

• Sheldon - "The Screwfly Solution" (1977). A spate of "femicides" that moves like a virus through the planet. The rationalizations/responses of the afflicted and the response forces are scarier to me than the sort of twilight zone-y nature of the actual pandemic.

• Machado - "Inventory" (2017). A story of a pandemic told through an inventory of past sexual partners. Deemed "too horny" when the collection was selected as the TBB book of the month.

Books about plague/outbreaks that have been prior TBB books of the month (linked to the discussion threads):
  • Camus - The Plague (1947). Suffering and toil in the face of an outbreak in a fictional city in French North Africa. This is one of my favorite novels but I really like how Camus writes and that is apparently not a universal experience. La peste is uplifting in how people are doggedly decent even in the face of despair/absurdity/hopelessness. Wiki claims that you should read this all as an allegory for resistance to fascism and, sure, you can, but it's more than that.

• De Maria - Twenty Days of Turin (1975). Quasi-magical mass hysteria and societal degradation in Turin, manipulated by conspiratorial forces. There is some fantastic imagery here (the last few pages of the book sat with me for a while). While the "wow, how prescient this all is about social media" is a natural reading to go for, I'd ask you to resist that temptation.

Other goon suggestions (that i haven't read):
  • Jasienski - I Burn Paris (1928).

Karenina posted:

there's also the lesser-known and more aggressively communist plague book i burn paris by bruno jasienski

that's a good read

• Roth - Nemesis (2010). It's about fear and Judaica and belonging in the context of a polio outbreak and the main character apparently fucks way less than in other Roth books but I have a pretty low tolerance for Roth tbh.

Non-fiction
  • Pepys - The Diary of Samuel Pepys (1660-1683?). My friend who focused on early modern English print culture allegedly read all one million-ish words of this in grad school but I must confess I have only read select abstracts. If you want to jump straight to the plague, wikicommons has it organized chronologically. Plague-y stuff starts happening mid-April. Note though that unlike Defoe's account, Pepys just has a grand old time, making money and loving and generally having a nice year or two.

• Tuchman - A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century (1978). The historiography of this one is apparently suspect but it's got lots of cool anecdotes about monks finishing chronicles while dying and then leaving apocalyptic messages to their successors, so fun all around.

• Shilts - And the Band Played On (1987). Excellent history of the AIDS epidemic with a focus on the sheer venomous incompetence and political apathy of American government. marg bar, in my opinion, amrika.

• Preston - The Hot Zone (1994). I'm assuming people have read this? It was pretty popular when it came out. Although when i was working with a virology lab it gave people the idea that I was out doing dangerous and cool things instead of "yelling at a computer."

Plague or quarantine "moods" (subjective/a stretch i know)
  • Céline - Castle to Castle (1957). Céline has a miserable time holed up in a castle with other fascists and hangers on of the disintegrating Vichy régime

• Delillo - White Noise (1985). The parts with the airborne toxic event have this sort of fear of contagion/the invisible that I'm looking for here, but I grant that it's a stretch to include it here

• Markson - Wittgenstein's Mistress (1988). if you enjoy this novel, a (post-apocalyptic?) experimental work based on being a little too into the Tractatus Logico-philosophicus to the extent that it ruins your cognitive processes, you might also enjoy: my posts

More genre-y stuff we could talk about if you want i guess
  • Stoker - Dracula (I am thinking here of the section in London, which reminds me more than a little of John Snow and his map of cholera pumps)
  • King - The Stand
  • Mandel - Station Eleven
  • Willis - Doomsday Book
  • Pears - The Dream of Scipio

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoora
Sep 29, 2009
I just finished rereading Blindness and, of course, I like it even more than my first time years ago. There's an excerpt from Seeing at the end, but I'll give myself a little time before I dip into that.

Love your architecture analogy, the later parts of the book really do feel like you can breathe easier. Even while things are still super bleak, there are funny and tender moments.

I really like Saramago's writing where you kind of putter along and he hits you with something. It's like playing a nice game of catch where they occasionally throw a medicine ball at you.

Skoora fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 27, 2020

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I mentioned elsewhere that I'm reading The Plague. It's good stuff, I'm only about halfway through so I can't say much other than it being extremely well written.

Last year I read The Dog Stars by Peter Heller, which takes place after a flu pandemic & has some pretty good meditations on loss and closure and the beauty of life. Stylistically it is similar to The Road, but it is much more hopeful (admittedly not a high bar lol).

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Krankenstyle posted:

Last year I read The Dog Stars by Peter Heller, which takes place after a flu pandemic & has some pretty good meditations on loss and closure and the beauty of life. Stylistically it is similar to The Road, but it is much more hopeful (admittedly not a high bar lol).

how much zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance are we talking, here

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tree Goat posted:

how much zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance are we talking, here

Not really any, tho tbf it's been a couple decades since I read Zen.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I had a weird flu apocalypse trilogy a few years ago of reading Dog Stars, Far North, and Station Eleven back to back

I think my big issue with Dog Stars was that it seemed to assume the natural state of man was violent mistrust. While each story dealt with the collapse of society, Dog Stars seemed the most pessimistic about how a crumbled world would look. Like, within months it was all just people beating each other to death with sticks for cans of beans.

I think Far North was my favorite of the three, although i definitely found Station Eleven to perhaps be the most "honest" portrayal of a society after a viral apocalypse

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Far North was real good too. I thought Station 11 was a bit idk "light", but maybe that was mostly because I thought the titular comic book was a lame device.

I guess there is a lot of violence in Dog Stars, but there's humanity as well. Anyway I guess we'll see the true nature of man soon enough :whitewater:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean, if you look at historical examples of societal collapse it tends to go far more like station eleven where power is centralized around pre-existing institutions and emphasis is placed upon the preservation of pre-collapse society, much like the post-Roman Europe.

Both Dog Stars and Far North seem to suggest we are heading more towards a Mad Max style every man for himself situation and I don't think history or human nature warrants that level of pessimism

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah that makes sense. Speaking of, A Canticle for Leibowitz has those themes of institutional continuity & preservation as well.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
there are so many interesting social dynamics to explore (how institutional power is built and preserved, how in-groups and out-groups form, foucault-style accountings of bio-power, etc etc) that i've always thought using a virus as an easy device to make an apocalypse happen but leave enough infrastructure around for people to gawk at/watch rust is somehow a bit of a waste.

books like the mosquito coast and heart of darkness can all tackle some of these themes without just jumping straight to the dystopian cannibal future

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Castle to Castle sounds very interesting, and I've heard the author is pretty nuts. How well does his batshit insanity translate to English?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Celine has had mostly great translators(Ralph Manheim ftw) who translated his style to English quite accurately and maintained the ellipses and general feel, although iirc Celine also liked to use super unintelligible archaic French words that you can't replicate easily in English.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
The Siege of Krishnapur fits the bill well I think. There's the literal cholera that plagues the besieged (including an entertaining "duel" between two doctors who disagree over how to mitigate and treat the outbreak), but also the claustrophobia, the upending of normal life, and the question of what to sacrifice in the name of survival.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I'm listening to The Plauge kind of enjoying it, even though some of it is WAY too real for me.

My partner and I have had to live separately for the first time in our relationship and it's been hard but then of course a loving pandemic happens. I feel so seen by the descriptions of the townspeople coping with their missing partners, how they would get depressed on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday because that was their usual time to hang out.

It's the first time I've read Camus, I don't know what I was expecting but it definitely didn't expect to have my teen like angst about my separation from my partner put to paper so well haha. I love how he nails the boredom and anxiety induced by a pandemic. Such a good book so far, I've just started Part Four.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I've heard that Mary Shelley's The Last Man might fit the bill, although I admit I haven't read it. A story about the last man alive after a plague and the failure of art and romanticism may hit a bit too harshly.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

My favorite epidemic novel is probably Borislav Pekić’s Besnllo (Rabies). He was a Serbian author exiled to London for being a royalist, also a very good writer. Rabies (1983), subtitled as “a genre novel”, is a pastiche of the seventies and eighties disaster thrillers in the vein of Hailey’s Airport, but with excellent prose and heavily laden with biblical references and allegories.
It all starts with a nun petting a dog named Sharon in a plain near Meggido in Israel. The nun returns to London but there is an obvious outbreak of an infectious disease on the plane. The staff at Heathrow bungles the isolation measures upon arrival and the entire Terminal 2 is exposed. The disease turns out to be a modified form of rabies with the usual symptoms - hydrophobia, convulsions, aggression - but the onset is just a few hours and the virus isn’t affected by the vaccines because it has an additional, obviously engineered, protective layer.
There is a race to develop a new vaccine in a mobile lab set up on Heathrow, leaning heavily on the research of a scientist posing as an Israeli but actually an escaped Nazi scientist who experimented on Auschwitz inmates. In the end, it is revealed that he was behind the original virus, which was a product of his program to develop the superhuman. The vaccine is tested on the protagonist and his love interest who are then transformed into Nietzschean ubermenschen and immediately start fighting for dominance atop the control tower. The RAF helicopter pilot witnessing the two naked figures wrestling reports that Heathrow is lost. Jets with nukes are dispatched to sterilize it.
Unfortunately, it was never translated into English.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Now that I come to recommend it I'm terrified it isn't going to live up to reading it as an edgy 19 year-old, but William S Burrough's Ghost of Chance is a pretty good time. There's a cosmic zoo with one of every extinct organism deep beneath a libertarian commune in Madagascar. Some miners drill into it and release the 1 microbe of every single plague that ever died out and they're all vaguely magical-realist.

It's like Invisible Cities except instead of cities it's diseases.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

A recent entry into the Plague Genre I'd recommend is Severance by Ling Ma (2018). This one strays the edge of post-apocalyptic/sci fi, and is of course a modern metaphor for cultural stagnation, nostalgia and capitalism and all that good stuff, but takes a somewhat more realistic approach to the spread of a pandemic (which is actually a fungal infection spread globally through book material importation from a source in China). When people contract the infection, they become effectively braindead and are stuck performing rote, repetitive tasks they did in their normal life perpetually until their body eventually withers and dies from neglect. The novel cuts back and forth between a group of survivors after the plague and to the days of when the plague was setting, and parts of the depiction of society's reaction feel very accurate to what is happening now.

Ma also is careful to note that the victims are decidedly not zombies (despite some critics comparisons) and has said the book was explicitly inspired by recent epidemics and natural disasters. Here's a quote from an interview with Ling Ma from the past week or so, commenting on coronavirus:

Ling Ma posted:

Much of what inspired “Severance” were catastrophes of the recent past: Hurricane Sandy, the SARS virus, the Ebola outbreak, multiple cases of blackouts in New York, including one caused by Hurricane Ernesto, etc. I experienced some of these events firsthand as I was writing the novel — including the 2011 Snowpocalypse of Chicago, when the buses and other vehicles were trapped overnight on Lake Shore Drive by the extreme snowfall. There was no way to get to work the next day. I was thinking about how companies respond to catastrophe, and the way that work culture calibrates around it. When I first started writing “Severance,” I saw it primarily as work novel, with the global supply chain as the setting.

People have told me that the novel seems prescient of what’s happening now. In terms of the writing process, I thought that I was reflecting the then-present, what was happening around me at the time. I wrote the first draft between 2012 to 2016. Even though the book is marketed as satire, I really thought, for much of it, that I was reflecting things as they were. I didn’t think I was exaggerating that much.

Link to the interview: https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/books/ct-books-ling-ma-whiting-award-0325-20200325-iklv6daldvdinout5rmkdis4dq-story.html

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 30, 2020

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
oh lol i left out masque of the red death

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
this article is somewhat rambly and unfocused in its thesis, but it does hang its narrative around Evans’
Death in Hamburg: Society and Politics in the Cholera Years, 1830-1910, which sounds fascinating, although my library is suspiciously sans ebook for it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Forgot to mention that i finished The Plague last week, and it was excellent. It's only my second Camus (after The Stranger) but I loved that as well and it was years ago I read it so idk why I haven't read more.

It's pretty easy to read the plague itself as fascism/ww2, which it surely is, but it is also a plague. I think Camus purposely chose the plague as a sort of stand-in to remove all humanity from the transgression & thus let the handful of protagonists and their ideas of morality stand for themselves. There are no Germans in the book that I recall.

While I was reading, I thought Cottard was kindof an rear end in a top hat. He's the guy with the secret past, fearful of getting caught, but who suddenly livens up when everyone is having a hard time, and I guess I can see it a little bit. Being as I am a massive [sic] introvert, I've had that compulsion to cross the street when people were walking towards me. Now everyone is crossing away from everyone. It's no longer weird. Idk.

Anyway I think it's a very good book, and you dont have to read it as a metaphor or roman a clef. its mostly about how people react to a bad situation, how they justify powering through or giving up.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

malapropos, there was an opinion piece in a weekly newspaper here which was about how she (the journo writing the piece) could suddenly viscerally understand and empathise with the dread that common flu symptoms invoked in Jane Austen’s novels

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
it has come up a couple times in the lit thread recently, but a general theory of oblivion is currently free as an ebook and centers around a woman trapped in an apartment amidst events that feel thoroughly outside of her control, so it seems relevant. it's a very quick read as well so check it out if you can screen-read

https://archipelagobooks.org/book/a-general-theory-of-oblivion/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I read Bruno Jasienski's I Burn Paris a couple weeks ago and it was a fantastic book. While it is decidedly anti-capitalist, it takes a fair share of shots at Communists, Bolsheviks, the lot. It is definitely a more extreme version of a plague, more along the lines of Camus' plague, with Paris being isolated from the outside world and the book examining the citizens responses to breakdown of chaos.

Jasienski is extremely cynical, though, and it is apparent through the book, the dude was definitely curmudgeonly, bitter with many/most. Reading about the author a bit after finishing the book helped me reflect more fully on the themes and what I perceived as "flaws" with the characters, but ultimately I think were just reflections on the author's worldview.