Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Awful Jams Presents: Sports 2 - The Game Jam
https://itch.io/jam/sports-2

March 30th- May 4th

Join the Awful Jams Discord! Be sure to read the rules.
Follow us on Twitter! For jam announcements.

The year is 2020. A global pandemic has canceled all sports around the globe.

Clearly. Sports has failed us in our most dire of hours.

Now is the time for...

Jam is run via itch.io and the discord community is the place to hang! But let's talk about all your ideas for the much anticipated sequel to SPORTS.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
reserved

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.
Finally. The long-awaited sequel to sports

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I never liked sports anyway. Bring on Sports 2!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

it is about time we made it better. I'm in just to show how we can make it worse.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If anyone needs ideas for basketball we've got you covered:

https://twitter.com/StrangeHill2DO/status/1233966037164384256

(Unnecessary Sequel from 2018's summer jam. Decided to go serious with it in 2019. Finally wrote a design doc in 2020.)

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

REALLY EXCITED FOR THIS!

Love the theme. I am a dev and am going to make a UFC-inspired 3D Unity game (maybe with Final IK to crank out custom moves? Many dumb taunts will definitely be required). If this sounds like something you'd be interested in please fire me a DM!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Every idea I'll ever have will be worse than Base Wars, and that's okay. Perfection cannot be surpassed, but we can all approach it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFcJ5k4rNQs&t=556s

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was always a fan of Super Baseball 2020...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d2fxVEMHVM

Bring back future sports!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Major props to anyone who ends up using the official theme of the sport, “HOCKEY,” in their game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbZMnF1VNlE

I’m working on Citizen Kane 64 with my IRL friend right now, but I’m sure I can split my time between this and that.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
My time is now to make a truly terrible, low effort, ugly, meaningless, bizarre computer game.

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
I guess I can churn out something in a month. What's a framework that doesn't take a lot of time to pick up.

my language preference from most preffered to least preferred is:
C++
Python
C#
C

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
https://twitter.com/awfuljams/status/1244711940775124992

We're starting early to give people something to focus on during a pretty tough week.

Have at it!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Faith For Two posted:

I guess I can churn out something in a month. What's a framework that doesn't take a lot of time to pick up.

my language preference from most preffered to least preferred is:
C++
Python
C#
C

If you like Python more than C# give Godot a look-see.

It's my favorite in terms of clarity of design, and it's got enough of a community to be practical. Especially for jams.

Otherwise most people say Unity.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
It's a start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kbTdBAWA9w

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

UFC 2 Garbage Edition begins!

awesomeolion fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 31, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Please make a game of the marblympics

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Taintrunner posted:

I was always a fan of Super Baseball 2020...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d2fxVEMHVM

Bring back future sports!

I think I rented this game from the local store enough to have just bought a copy

Looking forward to some DIGITAL SPORTS

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Future Baseball 2020 was the best. Save all game to get the 30k hitting armor C in the 9th inning, mistime your swing, still hit an inside the park home run because the ball was approximately 5 miles in the air when it hit the back wall.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The best baseball video game of all time is 98 Koshien. Just watch this and tell me you disagree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjfZABX8Kw

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I've been posting these to the discord, but the thread could use some love

https://i.imgur.com/nkHdWbi.mp4

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spiffy. I do always like the A + B game concepts.

I've still been meaning to combine side-scrolling SHMUP and Juggler, for instance.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

McGavin posted:

The best baseball video game of all time is 98 Koshien. Just watch this and tell me you disagree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjfZABX8Kw

OMG that video is so good. Custom pitching motions for the win!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP6aueCRK88

Game is playable now. Please let me know what you think. https://atomr.itch.io/hacky-sack

TomR fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 28, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I think the game works well as is! Takes a couple of minutes to get used to catching the ball, but surprisingly consistent when you can. After you catch, do a light toss and catch it again.

This is my score after about 6 tries:

I think it'll be really fun as a phone game, it's the sort of silly time waster I'd definitely run through in small breaks during the day. The sound choices are on point too.

For feedback (spoilered mostly so you can choose when to look at it)
This might be against your vision of the game, but I think it would be really fun to control the body's leaning, just to give you a bit of range, control, and another aspect to worry about. Maybe your guy can fall down now or have inertia if they lean too much?

Also a pointer for off screen balls would help! Then I'd be incentivised to do big stylish tosses up instead of doing small, on screen tosses to stay safe.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Thanks for the feedback! More than one person mentioned the off screen arrow. I should have put that in but it slipped my mind. I think I'll do an updated version some time and take into account what everyone says about the game.

I've never made a phone game before, but if I can figure it out I'll do it.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I want a game where you drive a Zamboni during a hockey game and the players are all mad at u

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

French Canadian posted:

I want a game where you drive a Zamboni during a hockey game and the players are all mad at u

I'd swear that was a thing in Mutant League Hockey.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Hello all, I'm back once again! I had to skip last jam because my computer died (thankfully it was only the GPU... which I still haven't replaced. But I got to borrow a PC!) but I'm here just to swoop in at the end for this one! Oh, I also still plan on going back to that one sometime less frantic, let me know if you had a game in that one and want impressions. Anyways, please treat these impressions lightly:

Neat, I thought this was one of the funnier ideas I saw in development. No nostalgia veneer here, this is straight-up grungy hacky sack. I did think it was going to be a bit more QWOP-y or at least... wacky? Grotesque? I was thrilled when I saw it was updated to add team mode, I always love that extra effort. Oh, I think it may be a bit too incentivized for playing too safely, maybe a target mode or some bonuses for wacky shots would've helped with that.

Spacesportsball by rozisdead

Asteroids meets Rocket League. This one has good juice and timing to it (it's a funny game!), and I love that minimal style. Also, a ton of modes here which I find really impressive. It's just downright fun whipping around a space capsule. I did have issues with the controls, besides the gamepad not working I did seem to have some key ignoring even w/o holding too many keys (same with the kickoff, could've been timed cleaner). I think the mass of the space capsule is just too much and that especially becomes clear when you botch a slalom, maybe for more wacky hijinks the charge shot could've been a counter-thruster? It doesn't really feel like a team game but it's still cool there's different enemy types and all. And while I did like the graphics the font is a bit hard to read. But besides my griping it really is a fun, juicy little game!

Slinky Olympics by FannieG
Floppy Olympics games. Very prototype-y, the "game" aspect isn't there yet and it's a bit confusing just being thrown in there with all these event zones and stuff. I'm not quite sold on the jump/windup system but maybe I'm overlooking something. But the ragdoll thing is cute!

PLONG by dean_sick
Oops, online-only one. Without a heads-up and plenty of leniency online jam games just aren't going to happen!

Smack Back by Team ALLCAPS

Vaporwave-ish Pong. Neat aesthetic here! The slight oddness and weird audio cues really help sell this one. There's some boundary jank (clipping through the barrier/walls or unexpected reaction of the middle bumper) and it's probably slightly stacked to the front player due to the camera, but besides that it seems pretty decent. Not a groundbreaking entry but the parts of it it wants to sell it does so well.

Madden NFL 202X by HitlersaurusChrist
[INSERT IMAGE HERE (just go play it)]
WEEP, FOR THERE IS NO FIELD GOAL. I missed these, classic HitlersaurusChrist AwfulJam. Oh, I did get a consistent crash at the beginning video but somehow got passed it (either by Compatibility settings or by lowering the quality).

Curl For Your Country by Some Brothers Studio

Curling simulator. Fairly fun and interesting, this one does a good job (particularly in the beginning) of selling you a game. There's some cracks here (more of an experience than a fine-tuned simulation) but it's good for its runtime. If it was a bit more of a gamey game I'd put it up there personally! Oh, the ending screen seems to be bugged somehow (takes the input from the text before and exits?) and I couldn't catch it.

Racer by RickDashing26
A little Android Unity tutorial-ish racing game. Very rough, but kinda cool that there's a mobile phone game entry (thankfully it was simple enough to run on my ancient device). Keep it up!

Dink or Die by SystemLogoff

Love that title song, also I'm pretty sure I've heard some of that music before lol. This is a fun one, quite a bit of content to it! There's some pacing and balance issues (teleporting pretty much trumps everything, just eating it to a saw doesn't feel very fair) but it's fun trying to learn the systems. I'm not sure if all the graphics/audio meshed for me but I did like all the playful touches. Overall I like this one, as a toy it's satisfying to mess around with.

Zenn Halsey Basesol '93 by Haunted Bees Productions
A baseball game with skewed rules. Very imaginative little game. It seems like it'd be interesting to learn but unfortunately the controls and lack of direction really make it too unapproachable. There seemed to be some difficulty problems (opposite team was really too good at catching outs. A good strategy seemed to be defensive walls but it wasn't very fun) and oddness of control (trying to get the ball going in any specific direction, especially on the fly like that with the camera bouncing, just wasn't happening). Besides that, there seems like it would be a neat little old-school baseball game with a trippy setting if the systems could be iterated out. I'm definitely impressed with the amount of systems involved! Oh, I also noticed that the audio seemed to jump between whisper quiet and loud?

Closing Time by DarbyAnderson
A prototypey game where you passively adjust your angle and power to throw goblins into a dumpster. Not quite there, but an interesting concept. I liked how the goblins kind of stayed as objects so you could kinda interact with them while throwing more, but I do think that the pixely graphics hurt the feedback involved with learning and experimenting with angles (too static when there were significant subpixel calculations going on).

Golf it! by its_HarshArora
A mobile, very casual line-puzzle type game. This one is really hard for me, I think it really sets out what it does (being minimalistic, clean with a bit of pop, and very mobile friendly) but personally I thought it was a bit too much of that stuff. I don't think I ran into a single puzzle that I had to stop and think about, and what you see by the third level is what you'll see in all forty. Maybe if it had some build up or some more interesting mechanics (kind of weird there's multiple deathtraps that act the same way) it'd be a real showstopper, because most of the aesthetics are there and it's very intuitive. As it is it's an immediately appealing game which hit probably all it wanted to do but that unfortunately I found too rote.

Extreme Coin Tossing by Franklin's Ghost
No casual coin flipping here. This is another one where it does what it does well (a few neat animations) and kind of lives and dies by it. I'd be interested in hearing if it was always so straightforward!

Sign Flipper by Harold Krell

drat, just another awesome Harold Krell game out here like it's no big deal. I don't know if this is my favorite of Krell's gameplay-wise but it's gotta be up there in narrative and in playing with a mechanic. I did have some issues figuring out the wind mechanic and how the sign went higher but I eventually got it. Great game if you like the ol' SA Jam classics.

Donald and Xi at the 2021 Olympics by Big Trash Games

Physics-based mini-games. OMG, those faces. This is a bit subjective of course but the humor hit with me, I thought it was great. The gameplay was pretty interesting: running had enough of a balance, dancing was hilarious (but a bit easy to get stuck), and long jump had some good results but maybe a bit too simple (air direction could've helped, maybe?). Oh, good use of sound, too!

Home Olympics 2020 by Solid Hinken

Physics-based mini-games. There's some impressive things here including an online scoreboard (though I think one was wrong lol) and I liked that boxing had some movement to it. It could use a bit more freedom or play as many of the games are a bit static (swimming, for instance, could've used some mix-ups). Oh, and sound, I thought the banality of normal life could work but objects needed to feel more poppy.

Once again once again (and again and again), thanks for all the jams!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Doom Goon posted:

Dink or Die by SystemLogoff

Love that title song, also I'm pretty sure I've heard some of that music before lol. This is a fun one, quite a bit of content to it! There's some pacing and balance issues (teleporting pretty much trumps everything, just eating it to a saw doesn't feel very fair) but it's fun trying to learn the systems. I'm not sure if all the graphics/audio meshed for me but I did like all the playful touches. Overall I like this one, as a toy it's satisfying to mess around with.

Thank you for playing!

I had less time to balance and polish this time, since this was my third attempt at the theme. I had a bad month that month. :vv:

The music was created by Willfor, or Public Domain mixes by him. Though the Dink or Die was a shout out to Skate or Die.

I'm glad you unlocked all the cheats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/awfuljams/status/1270522444298825728