Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

maybe an interesting phenomenon in these neoliberal documentaries is their pro-union/anti-union slant

in waiting for superman, the film was extremely anti-union, presenting absurd caricatures to make its point. the context was the teaching profession is dominated by public sector unions, and so a pro-union message could not be tolerated

in american factory, the union is powerless, non-existent, and utterly defeated. in this context, the neoliberal dogma is safe in being sympathetic with organized labor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

maybe an interesting phenomenon in these neoliberal documentaries is their pro-union/anti-union slant

in waiting for superman, the film was extremely anti-union, presenting absurd caricatures to make its point. the context was the teaching profession is dominated by public sector unions, and so a pro-union message could not be tolerated

in american factory, the union is powerless, non-existent, and utterly defeated. in this context, the neoliberal dogma is safe in being sympathetic with organized labor

It's a common trick for alt right weirdos / corporate dick suckers

The union is both this all powerful evil organization that controls everything (teacher unions) but at the same time a weak ineffective organization run by liberal snowflakes / communist saboteurs who hate America (Terrified of real patriotic americans)

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

yo gently caress this poo poo

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i havent watched the movie but from your description and what the directors have said it sounds pro union

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Some Guy TT posted:

for the longest time i couldnt figure out why obama made this movie because everything i heard about it just made it sound like an indictment of his terrible loving presidency

then i read the op and watched the cum town video and finally realized that oooooohhh the lesson the movie was supposed to teach us was that the chinese are evil same reason one child nation got such ridiculous press for a documentary

its deeply funny to me that none of the proper reviews could actually say this since it would make obama look sinophobic i suspect this was the reason why one child nation didnt clean up on the awards circuit the propagandistic undertones were just too hard baked into the premise

this movie didn't feel sinophobic except maybe in finding a chinese business hiring labor in america as so 'wacky and backwards!'

or if you're an american and are insanely sensitive to people talking about you the way you talk about literally everyone else

it was effective at making me realize workers of the world have the same plight and nationalist sentiment, I wish, could go the gently caress away

I haven't seen it in a while but that's what I remember

babypolis posted:

i havent watched the movie but from your description and what the directors have said it sounds pro union

I was surprised that unionization seemed to be shown as something that would have alleviated tensions and when they voted against unionizing it seemed mostly do to pressure and propaganda from management down, which was portrayed as a loss, not a victory.

I also love the american guy who spoke chinese and somehow thought talking poo poo about americans in mandarin would win his pathetic loathsome self a few friends but no way it didn't make everyone feel he was a gross bastard

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 12:19 on Apr 5, 2020