Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Wait, is this?

Yes it is! Some of you may remember the saga of Thermidor: 1789 The Beginning, some of you may not. The links to the original two threads are here and here.

I'll try to summarise but it won't do any justice to the glory of the saga, it's worth reading through both threads as they are glorious. A member of the Thermidor creative team joined the forums back in 2016 purely to shill, the response was glorious and the OP was a good sport for most of it. He didn't seem to like guillotines some reason.

After a failed IndieGoGo and Kickstarter, the fate of Thermidor seemed to be over before it began. But still, the developer's still persisted.

What is this?

I'll take this directly from their Steam page:

quote:

"Thermidor" is an original multi-platform (mobile, Win, Mac, Linux) Turn based 3D Tactical Japanese RPG. "Thermidor" takes place in the unique and fascinating world of 18th century Paris, at the dawn of the French Revolution, and portrays the life and adventures of two main characters - Léandre and Armandine, in an intense and immersive story.

The game is certainly unique in it's setting, but they make no secret about the fact that they've borrowed heavily from other turn-based tactical JRPG's. The combat system and pretty much everything else was done before this came along. This is my first time playing this game and I have very little experience with tactical JRPG's, we will all be learning as we go along. I can't wait until we meet "The Doctor"!

LP details

This is going to be a VLP and I'll try to upload videos on a regular basis. From what I've read this is going to be a fairly long game. I know that this game has a bad history but I will try to be as objective as I can be.

:thermidor: Let's Play: Thermidor - 1789 The Beginning! :thermidor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

oh my god I remember writing a guillotine breeding simulator during a slow work day when that thread was a thing :allears:

thank you for taking a look at this!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Bold of the devs to let me know the main characters' kill counts.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
'To the guillotines? Next door on the left, one chop each.'

Thanks for this most grandiosest LP of LPs, Rockets. There's nothing like watching a three-hour video all in one go. :cheers:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That was both intense and immersive, right down to the rats running through the tavern and the bolt action sound effect on those classic firearms.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I thought this was an entirely different recent tactical JRPG set in revolutionary France. Easy mistake to make, obviously.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holy poo poo I remember the thread for this. It looked terrible and I can't believe they actually made it.

e: it still looks terrible

ee: why is it in japanese :psyduck:

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 1, 2020

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
the sound design on that dev team icon thing is terrible, it just says "Hy" randomly in the middle and the noises are jarring and unpleasant

the text is still not proofread for grammar errors

why's leandre fighting the guard for an absolute nonreason and making yourself look more suspicous, is this meant to endear us to this charming rogue type? he's an idiot, hyperdevbox. oh now he's murdering them. and they're just apparently super serious about checking taverns to the point of getting shot over it. but not serious enough to actually try to murder this kid with a rifle right back. it's mostly just kicks. how does any of this make sense

at least the music is decent

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I am loving amazed this got made.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Why do defeated enemies explode and get eaten by vines coming out of the earth

Fake edit: Actually, just why

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
holy poo poo

eta: lol it's the same lovely anime opening where he steals an apple for no loving reason while on the run from the law :allears:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

What a confused mishmash of things, what sounds to be the intro song to a cartoon show about a middle school, an ill fitting mix of bought assets, a gun that only shoots at the four cardinal directions, and a narrative tone that just can't.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh what the hell, they actually made it?

e: Since I can't watch the video at the moment, just one question: does it have paper bags?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 9, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

anilEhilated posted:

Oh what the hell, they actually made it?

e: Since I can't watch the video at the moment, just one question: does it have paper bags?

Ditto, I remember searching for news about this a while back out of curiosity, saw the failed crowdfunding attempts and assumed it was dead. I think I remember giving the devs poo poo about how waifish the champion fencer character is, because I fence myself and I've never seen a good fencer who didn't have some scary leg and arm muscles. She's like the "while you were partying, I mastered the blade" dude.

Oh poo poo, that's some perky happy music superimposed over the burning-city shot at the start of the intro, because happy fun times are what I think about when I think of the French Revolution.

[edit]Yeah, that's some quality where they just didn't bother to animate the models moving sometimes. When do we get to recruit Cherry Venus into the party?

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 9, 2020

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Just peeped the OP post date, starting to think a trick's been played on us. 🤔

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Just peeped the OP post date, starting to think a trick's been played on us. 🤔
Oh snap. Well played, though, got me at least. I like how you used the commentary to drawing attention away from the fact it's the second trailer by coming up with excuses for looking around.

Not gonna lie, though, genuinely disappointed they they didn't make the full trainwreck.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 9, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

You know, I don't think I actually watched that trailer, so I guess now I got to see exactly how boring the game would have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Very good, Rbd.