Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Flashback. It's 2008(ish), Summer is raging, you don't have a job because you are a teenager, and you are shredding the competition in WoE even though no one in the guild knows what they are doing.

Flash-wait, what? It's 2020, Summer is about to be raging, you don't have a job because of the plague, and some whackadoodle has rebooted EssenceRO. Let's go take some castles friends :).

I've never played this, should I?

I'm not sure if I would love this game as much as I do if I hadn't spent some of my youth on it. That said, I do actually think it is a very good game. The guild vs guild stuff is maybe the most fun PVP content I've ever played in any MMO, and the class design is genuinely interesting as well.

Isn't this game all about the grind?

Vanilla RO is yes. This server is accelerated significantly. Getting to ~160 and grinding up some basic gear shouldn't take more than a day or two on the slower classes, a couple of hours on the faster ones. At that level of completion you'll be able to tag along for all of the major content in the game and feel like you are making meaningful contributions. If you find yourself with a bunch of time these days you can also grind for a million hours to get fancy hats or stronger gear, whatever suits your fancy.

Wait, EssenceRO? The server we all used to play on ages ago?

Yeah. On a total whim the other day I loaded up ratemyserver.net which, somehow, still exists and looked at the Mid Rate listings only to be completely shocked to see EssenceRO near the top. Turns out a group of old eRO players has taken on the task of recreating the server from archive.org snapshots and old screenshots. Startlingly, they've done a really good job and the server has a couple hundred people on seemingly all the time. I don't think its inflated either, their Discord is super active and the towns are absolutely full of people.

Server Details

Rates: 75/75/50 (base/job/drops)
Max Level: 170/90
Max stat: 150
Max ASPD: 193
System: Pre-Renewal

No third jobs, some customs but nothing totally outrageous - you'll want a valk helm and some wings for end game gear, not P2W, totally revamped MVP / MVP card system, significant changes to class balance make lesser used classes actually good.

Who to PM to join the guild

Right now it is just me and one other friend, hit up any of these names in game:

marchhare
ArcherOfDestruction
Goku

Notes

I'm saved in @go comodo, the only town that seems to have all the NPCs that isn't super crowded. Everyone in the guild has invite, so you can also just go there and look for people in GoonSquad and bother them for one.

The population seems pretty steady and there are a few guilds doing WoE, though for now I think it is just practice WoE with some hard limits on guild size and stuff. Plenty of time for a group of goons to gear up and bring the hurt.

Getting to 160 and doing battleground during happy hour (once every 6 hours for 1 hour) is extremely worth while. You can trade the badges for MVP points in @arena - you can use those points to get MVP loot table stuff. The NPC you exchange the points with is in the NE edge of @market. I seriously suspect they will nerf the reward rate from this thing, so get on it while the getting is good. You don't need to be good or anything to get the badges, just going in and dying over and over seems to do the trick.

Join the Discord!!!

In game chat sucks and, like all MMOs, this thing is really about being social. So come hang out!

https://discord.gg/dPwsGTx

Links

https://essencero.net/
https://wiki.essencero.net/index.php/Main_Page

The wiki is a little out of date in places and the site has some dead links. It seems like they rebooted an earlier iteration of the server and are reusing some of their resources.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undersea Magic
Dec 16, 2006

Lol, they really brought EssenceRO back from the grave, huh? Dr. Purple from the old days here, I could give this another shot. Were our old characters saved or do we have to start from scratch?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Undersea Magic posted:

Lol, they really brought EssenceRO back from the grave, huh? Dr. Purple from the old days here, I could give this another shot. Were our old characters saved or do we have to start from scratch?

Yeah, seems like some people remaking it from the ground up so its a fresh DB and things aren't exactly 1:1 but its close as can be.

The client download doesn't have BGM. If you like the music in this game, you can grab it here: https://gofile.io/?c=lwII7K

That link is my BGM folder as a zip file, just extract it on top of the BGM folder that gets installed.

Also, I meant to post this thread in MMOHMO so it might get moved there. If it disappears on you, that's where it went.

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006
Find out if they brought the valk shard exploit NPC back as well or not.

Seraphinent
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah and lighten the load, make it more zaaa--ohh, you know!

Mayheim posted:

Now these were the good times; Potato Mice and Valk Shard Duping.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Mayheim posted:

I already checked, it is not :(.

But you can get like 2 or 3 valk helms in an hour in BG, so matters a little less.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Aw poo poo, here we go again.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Sacro posted:

Aw poo poo, here we go again.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
Jesus christ, was it really 2008 last time we played this poo poo?
I might just give it a go, why not.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Anyone still playing? My brain is broken enough to have tried Tree of Savior again so I should probably just do this instead for my own wellbeing

bongsnake
Jul 28, 2004
We're Jammin
:grape:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

h5n1 emperium breaking constantly while half the guild wanders around immediately dying to storm gusts

never forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Mayheim posted:

I may or may not have blamed myself for the death of Good Ragnarok Online after giving that exploit to Gruntox