Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
edit: Hey I just realized I posted this on the wrong place. If a mod could move it into the Mac hardware thread, that would be great.

I replaced my mid-2012 MBP 13-inch about 2 years ago, and it's been in storage, unplugged, ever since. Yeah, that's supposed to be bad for the battery. I pulled it out yesterday, charged it up and rebooted. I'm getting a "Service Battery" warning. I'm in the process of "calibrating" the battery now, whatever that accomplishes.

Even before I replaced it, I was noting minor battery life issues...nothing severe, but definitely a shorter life from full charge. Battery cycle count is only at 246, which seem low, because I used it as my work computer seven days a week for 5 years before I replaced it. It stayed plugged in all the time.

Anyway, it's a 8-year-old battery that's been at 0% charge for 2 years, and I'm thinking I should just replace the drat thing regardless. SPEAKING OF WHICH, are there brands I should avoid because they suck? I'm finding replacement batteries anywhere from $40 to $100 online.

Unrelated: the computer is performing shockingly well for being so old. And God, I love the old keyboard. This thing is working like I just peeled the plastic film off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU