Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Angryhead posted:

I've never played Tomba but I just wanted to say that a) that's dope and b) I've been following your account for a while and I love the stuff that you do

Thanks! Never made this kind of thing before, but it's criminal that Tomba didn't get a guide, it's a game made for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Speaking of magazines -
One of Video Game History Foundations long term goals was a proper 'librarification' of VG magazines into a searchable archive as a resource for other game history scholars.
Previous scanning efforts over the decades didn't have any collaboration, people had invented their own taxonomies. In the end, it all winds up as duplicate rat's nests of files on archive.org.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUaUXAE1nTM

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Electromax posted:

Rezzing this thread just to post that I made an unofficial strategy guide for PS1's Tomba, because it never got one. If you like magazines you might enjoy it.

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1739985266826481885?s=20

This is amazing, thanks so much!

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
Is there a market for old magazines? I have magazines from about 1992 to 2005 still hanging around that take up a lot of closet space.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If I had dough I might could buy some but alas I am poor and also stupid although I guess only one of those is relevant

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
judging from how old strategy guides are treated, not really.

I've bought a few Nintendo Power issues from retro game stores from USD$10-15 for nostalgia reasons, but outside of 8 and 16 bit era... not so much.
Probably my biggest find was a very good quality Nintendo Power Final Fantasy III / VI guide and I was happy to pay $30.

Magazines are more historically interesting and for recreating a time long past and I think they're very interesting - especially outside of the console world.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I have a pretty much full set of Australian Nintendo Magazine System that I'm keen to part with one day (after I scan them) but never found a good person to take them. Mostly, I get overseas people who are interested but unfortunately get scared away by how much Australia Post charges for sending them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

the_lion posted:

I have a pretty much full set of Australian Nintendo Magazine System that I'm keen to part with one day (after I scan them) but never found a good person to take them. Mostly, I get overseas people who are interested but unfortunately get scared away by how much Australia Post charges for sending them.

There's a few of us ausies around in this subforum that would probably take them

It'd be cool to get some Sega mags, personally, or some gameboy focused issues of the australian stuff. I mostly read OAPSM and PC Powerplay/APC, myself

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's a few of us ausies around in this subforum that would probably take them

It'd be cool to get some Sega mags, personally, or some gameboy focused issues of the australian stuff. I mostly read OAPSM and PC Powerplay/APC, myself

I'll keep that in mind!
Sega mags, you might be out of luck. I think I have some Hyper mags, and one random Sega mag from the UK from around the time Clockwork Knight 1 came out. If I find any of it while I'm at my family's house, I'll make a post.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I wish I didn't toss out all my gamepros. Not to sale or even to give away but just for pure nostalgia

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

Speaking of magazines -
One of Video Game History Foundations long term goals was a proper 'librarification' of VG magazines into a searchable archive as a resource for other game history scholars.
Previous scanning efforts over the decades didn't have any collaboration, people had invented their own taxonomies. In the end, it all winds up as duplicate rat's nests of files on archive.org.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUaUXAE1nTM
In one of their other Xmas fundraiser posts, I think the VGHF mentioned that most of their magazine scans have already been uploaded to Archive or Retromags for further reach/less chance of stuff being lost. Their cool library stuff is for better categorization and deeper diving.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I used to have a few years of GameInformer from GameStop memberships, but after failing to sell them they got tossed or donated long ago. I've hung onto a bunch of my favorite, ExpertGamer/EGM2, which dedicated half the mag each month to in-depth strategy guides with bespoke maps and stuff. They are a fun time capsule. I have a couple on VGHF's wishlist I've been meaning to donate for scanning.

I'm a nerd for old magazines and guides and the market is definitely weird. I've gotten a ton by bidding $10 on a lot of 20 random guides for example, tossed out all the duplicates of CoD or whatever and kept a lot that way. But certain individual guides can be insane, like the old X-Men vs. Street Fighter going for $300+. Nowadays there's only really prestige guides like FuturePress or Piggyback making hardbacks for Elden Ring or Red Dead 2, but most stuff has gone digital which is too bad, not all guides look great but some did and IGN websites never have that style component to them anymore.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Greed posted:

Is there a market for old magazines? I have magazines from about 1992 to 2005 still hanging around that take up a lot of closet space.

They sell on Ebay all the time. Peak covid I was buying EGM's from 1989/1990 due to boredom and nostalgia. I mean we're in a thread literally talking about them so I'd imagine folks in here would be interested at the least.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

The Kins posted:

In one of their other Xmas fundraiser posts, I think the VGHF mentioned that most of their magazine scans have already been uploaded to Archive or Retromags for further reach/less chance of stuff being lost. Their cool library stuff is for better categorization and deeper diving.
Right. They have to put their resources behind what gets them the most impact.

Looking at old game magazines and even mainstream magazines like Game Players had ads for easy backup devices with slightly broken english next to actual games.

Of course it's 1994 and you have to be pretty determined to download roms from elite BBSs on your 9600 baud modem

Thirty year old ads are sometimes more interesting than the game reviews themselves.

the_lion posted:

The VGHF takes magazines and sends the duplicates out to subscribers. So, maybe they'll take it. But, yes, paper gets very heavy very quickly.

https://the-video-game-history-foundation.myshopify.com/collections/featured-products/products/blind-box-vintage-game-magazine-subscription

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 3, 2024

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I think Next Generation had a big rear end ad for an N64 cart backup device and I was always sad I didn't steal my mom's CC to get it

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Electromax posted:

Rezzing this thread just to post that I made an unofficial strategy guide for PS1's Tomba, because it never got one. If you like magazines you might enjoy it.

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1739985266826481885?s=20

Is there a link to this? I didn't see one in the tweet and I'm not on twitter.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Substandard posted:

Is there a link to this? I didn't see one in the tweet and I'm not on twitter.

Here is my google drive archive of stuff: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16uKdhIsnLedeHJ65ZApFO8UooplBcrUC?usp=drive_link

Tomba/Strategy Guide is what you are looking for, depending on what games you like there might be other fun stuff to find in there.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Traveller posted:

I read and re-read my brother's collection of old Spanish magazines (mainly Microhobby/Micromanía) and early issues used to have an "Addictionmeter" that did something similar. Reading walkthroughs of games we didn't have was great, I think I still have the Micromanía issue with the 3D map for Everyone's a Wally.

And speaking of Micromanía... :(

https://twitter.com/MM_Micromania/status/1748370602505744588

Final issue. Apparently they were the longest-running games magazine in the world at 39 years.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

gamer salute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xrlf3taEo

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Found some old issues of Polygon magazine in my basement from 20 years ago. Anyone remember them?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

RIP gaming mags. I loved you all in your own way. Honestly RIP magazines in general

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Top left cover is less stupid looking than the actual Invisible War box art

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

god drat magna cum laude was such a terrible loving game

then they managed to make an even worse one after that

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Item Getter posted:

Top left cover is less stupid looking than the actual Invisible War box art

It’s so weird that game magazines would casually feature the world’s least sexy pantyshot like it was no big thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I had a huge box full of gaming mags when I was a kid. Mostly PlayStation stuff because that's what I had, but I had a share of the platform agnostic ones too.

Regrettably my granny threw it out when she moved house so it's all long lost now, demo discs and strange little guide booklets and all.

I think perhaps the outright funniest thing was a copy of Play which had Lone Soldier on the cover, touting it as a 'DooM killer' and the review inside giving it some completely loving insane rating like 93%. Yeah, go ahead, look up Lone Soldier, because it's not one that seared itself into either people's memories or the popular zeitgeist.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Still can't get over Gamesmaster magazine scoring Sonic 2 only 65% in its very first issue.

I mean come on, it's Sonic 2.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

the_lion posted:

decryption (the Australian online personality, for lack of a better way to describe him) runs a magazine scanning operation.
If you're located in Melbourne I can try to get you in touch with him.

(One day I will take a trip and bring my Australian MacWorld magazines so we can finally get them into archive.org)

Nitnen
Jul 29, 2011
i recently acquired several huge boxes full of retro japanese magazines that covered super mario rpg in one way or another. not sure if that's in the spirit of this thread or not but ill eventually be scanning all of them

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy posted:

decryption (the Australian online personality, for lack of a better way to describe him) runs a magazine scanning operation.

Speak of the devil.
https://blog.decryption.net.au/t/almost-every-issue-of-atomic-magazine-is-on-the-internet-archive-now/151

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nitnen posted:

i recently acquired several huge boxes full of retro japanese magazines that covered super mario rpg in one way or another. not sure if that's in the spirit of this thread or not but ill eventually be scanning all of them

Not sure why it wouldn't be in the spirit. Is it a :filez: issue?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
GameFan came up earlier in the thread, and if you remember GameFan you probably remember Nick Des Barres, aka Nick Rox. He was one of the magazine's bigger names, known for his elaborate layouts and eccentric reviews. He went on to work in game localization as well, and I was always a fan of his work.

Well, Nick Rox is in the news, and it's not good.

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024/03/games-industry-veteran-nick-des-barres-accused-of-sexual-exploitation-of-13-year-old-boy

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 8, 2024

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

~Coxy posted:

(One day I will take a trip and bring my Australian MacWorld magazines so we can finally get them into archive.org)

Sorry, not in Melbourne but that would've been neat!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

gently caress yeah

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

I always loved PCFormat..here's an issue from 1997 that I scanned : https://archive.org/details/pcformat_july1997

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Wow these magazines were a lot more raunchy than I would expect