Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
ALOO #15: Chawli Ki Phali & Aloo Sabzi

This is a recipe for potatoes and green beans (actually long beans but I had green beans) which is interesting because it uses gram flour/besan/chickpea flour to form sort of a semi-breading. It's also interesting because it's flavored with fennel. The recipe I used, as you can tell from the picture, aims for a bit of a wetter coating, and I think to achieve that you need wetter vegetables, or you need to cover it while cooking at the end, or you need to add some water. I like things dry so I did none of those and I achieved the results you see here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I made an aloo jeera-ish thing.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Patatas Bravas!

I can't take any credit for the recipe though, I just watched this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl7Sk3UxvwY

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ahdinko posted:

Patatas Bravas!

I can't take any credit for the recipe though, I just watched this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl7Sk3UxvwY

patatas bravas are extremely good

a tapas place my parents go to does good patatas with garlic aioli

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
ALOO #16: Sada Aloo Chorchori

This is an extremely simple Bengali potato dish. Basically just potatoes flavored with kalonji (nigella) (or, as this recipe uses, black pepper). It's a breakfast food usually I think. I used more or less this recipe. This one is almost as simple, as is this one. This recipe adds a tomato; this one a red chili. All dirt simple and all delicious.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Resting Lich Face posted:

A bit tangential but cornbread is great in a waffle iron as well. Top it with chili!

What a beautiful idea. Dang

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

TychoCelchuuu posted:

ALOO #16: Sada Aloo Chorchori

This is an extremely simple Bengali potato dish. Basically just potatoes flavored with kalonji (nigella) (or, as this recipe uses, black pepper). It's a breakfast food usually I think. I used more or less this recipe. This one is almost as simple, as is this one. This recipe adds a tomato; this one a red chili. All dirt simple and all delicious.

Hey, thanks for this—this was amazing! I made the same one you did with some luchi and this chana dal for Sunday brunch. All three of these dishes were new to me and they were all delicious. Will absolutely be making these again (although maybe the luchi will be a sometimes food.)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Glad you enjoyed it! And yeah luchi are absolutely a "sometimes" food if you want to live for very long, but there's no denying that they taste delicious.

I have a huge backlog of potato dishes to post which I've been putting off due to laziness, Internet outages, and most notably my phone has started to break and thus it's hard for me to upload pictures. But last night I did just make another new potato dish which I didn't even bother to photograph (edit: made it again, took a bad picture), and coincidentally it's another Bengali recipe! It's much more involved, too, so that's fun. Check out:

ALOO #17: Bengali Dum Aloo

There are lots of recipes for Bengali dum aloo, which is potatoes in a dry gravy. This is the recipe I used - it's quite clovey, so if you aren't a clove lover like me or the recipe writer, maybe cut down on the cloves.There's also this recipe which is pretty classic, this recipe which is a bit richer and more elaborate, and this recipe which goes all in on garlic.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 17, 2020

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Didn’t realize this thread existed! I make this serious eats roasted potatoes recipe pretty often, but always with olive oil. The potatoes come out super crispy outside and soft inside. I change the spices to match whatever dish I’m making. This time it was chilis and garlic since I’m eating them with black beans.

lovely leftovers pic:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
edit: quote is not edit

interstitial potato preview:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Why not resurrect this thread

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Looks fantastic! Aloo palak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Looks fantastic! Aloo palak?

Yop! Been wanting to get some frozen spinach out if the freezer for ages, and had gotten some thread related items so I figured why not give it a try.