Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I feel like either I or you play at some sort of unintended pacing because that’s very much the opposite experience I’ve had. In a given game I usually have like 5-6 rulers usually and have never come close to finishing the tech tree before winning.

And the UI is great! Considering all it has to do it does an amazing job like 90% of the time of helping you make decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
That’s really weird, I played in mostly default settings both games.

Both times it felt way too early and the game was definitely not decided when the tech tree was completed. But that’s maybe because I was on an easier difficulty setting ?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 29, 2023

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Yeah, I didn't want to say you play the game wrong or missing the point, but a lot of players think that character stuff is well integrated and the game is well paced.

Perhaps easier setting makes AI allow you to be too passive and still win. If you had fun playing civ 5/6 without it putting too much pressure on you this game might feel a little empty cause I'm pretty sure you're never supposed to feel safe in the game, and the whole idea behind the victory system is that you never wait for the end knowing you've already won. Perhaps trying harder difficulty will change your mind.

Also scenarios might be fun. They're definitely not an afterthought you might think they are.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, I didn't want to say you play the game wrong or missing the point, but a lot of players think that character stuff is well integrated and the game is well paced.

Perhaps easier setting makes AI allow you to be too passive and still win. If you had fun playing civ 5/6 without it putting too much pressure on you this game might feel a little empty cause I'm pretty sure you're never supposed to feel safe in the game, and the whole idea behind the victory system is that you never wait for the end knowing you've already won. Perhaps trying harder difficulty will change your mind.

Also scenarios might be fun. They're definitely not an afterthought you might think they are.

Yeah, it might be that. The AI did felt very passive. I was only once attacked by a neighbor and I managed to fight him back until I forced him to surrender, even though he supposedly had a much stronger army (and it was my first war)

I’ll try again in a higher difficulty setting, now that have some notion of how to play

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 29, 2023

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Elias_Maluco posted:

I’ll try again in a higher difficulty setting, now that have some notion of how to play
Build more miliary units.

No, more that that...

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I am still garbage at this game, I just picked it back up after a long time of not playing it. But I still love it. Hopefully more systems start to click.

E: I seem to always have a huge excess of food, so maybe I'm not building enough "other stuff"? IDK.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i just started playing this game and its pretty addictive. playing a "vertical" strategy as persia in the big "old world" map and its going.. ok. not great. so far i'm finding myself kind of ignoring the crusader kings-esque side of the game and focusing almost entirely on the civ4 side, which i'm not sure is a mistake but that's just where my interest is going. like i rarely pay much attention to the family tree or to specific characters other than my ruler and am just focused on improving the region of the world i've carved out for myself. i haven't gotten into any real wars yet (i've been on and off again declared against greece but we can't reach each other, so nothing happens) but i have a cold war building up with the babylonians, and if it turns hot they'd kick my rear end so hopefully i can hold that off.

also i just automated all my workers and scouts so now instead of spending my time making sure there are roads and farms everywhere or trying to chase down every last bit of the map, im now spending my time building up my military on the border. just in case

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I grabbed both DLCs during the steam sale, and i came across two major issues I can't figure out.

How do you keep families pleased without micromanaging influance? Its really annoying to have to kill rebels every so often because one family feels miffed.

Also how do you move units across oceans? The AI doesn't seem to have issues, but I can't get my units to either cross the ocean or get on ships.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Also how do you move units across oceans? The AI doesn't seem to have issues, but I can't get my units to either cross the ocean or get on ships.

you have to anchor your ships with gives them a 5 tile wide hex radius. you can chain them together for longer ranges. it takes a turn to become anchored

manero
Jan 30, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I grabbed both DLCs during the steam sale, and i came across two major issues I can't figure out.

How do you keep families pleased without micromanaging influance? Its really annoying to have to kill rebels every so often because one family feels miffed.

If your cities are "lopsided" w.r.t which family they belong to, the families with fewer cities in general will have a lower opinion. There is a fair amount of influence/opinion management micro with families, but the official manual has a ton of good info, particularly around page 34.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

Might be obvious, but if the family has converted to a religion then your relations with the religion head affect them a lot. So it pays to focus your influence focus on the religion head.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

you have to anchor your ships with gives them a 5 tile wide hex radius. you can chain them together for longer ranges. it takes a turn to become anchored

also some types of units (like scouts) acquire the ability to travel by sea only after a certain research branch is unlocked

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

manero posted:

If your cities are "lopsided" w.r.t which family they belong to, the families with fewer cities in general will have a lower opinion. There is a fair amount of influence/opinion management micro with families, but the official manual has a ton of good info, particularly around page 34.

Yea that's what I figured, i try to keep my city foundings balanced but everyones always pissed at me.

Also the Ai knows exactly where the city sites are, doesn't it? I rarely get more than 2 cities because the AI snatched up anything, and before i can take out any barbarians, they've already done it.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that's what I figured, i try to keep my city foundings balanced but everyones always pissed at me.

Also the Ai knows exactly where the city sites are, doesn't it? I rarely get more than 2 cities because the AI snatched up anything, and before i can take out any barbarians, they've already done it.

I'm not sure how the AI simulates scouting, but you also probably need to build more military units than you think. Pop out a worker, then maybe a warrior or two to go barb hunting.

Once you clear the camp, you can hang out on the spot to "claim" the city site until you've got another settler to go.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

manero posted:

I'm not sure how the AI simulates scouting, but you also probably need to build more military units than you think. Pop out a worker, then maybe a warrior or two to go barb hunting.

Once you clear the camp, you can hang out on the spot to "claim" the city site until you've got another settler to go.

Yea, i basically build nothing but military early after that first settler, and camp any on city sites, but rarely do i find a site not already being camped by the AI, and even ones that they would not have just stumbled onto.

Okay, I call bullshit on this game, how the gently caress does the enemy warrior kill my full health warrior in ONE attack. It takes 4 of mine to kill one of his.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 8, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finally managed my first win of this game after a few false starts and an aborted tutorial run. I was State Religion Monotheist as soon as it was available but didn't realize that you could use Missionaries to build Temples, my last victory points ironically then came from building the Christian and Zoroastrian holy sites despite being a rabidly zealous Jewish state.

Only really got into one large war, with Babylon, which went pretty well seeing as they somehow got cut off on an island so they only had a single city. I was actually over preparing to go to war with them until my Ally Rome declared war first and I had to get there before they did.

I can't decide if Anchoring is the most elegant solution to naval transport in the strategy space or the dumbest. It took me a second to understand how it works that is for sure, it does feel like you should be able to move units between friendly harbors without explicitly using your naval units.

The civs do feel a little samey to me, flavor wise and in mechanical impact. I suppose giving you the ability to somewhat morph your rulers and court also has the knock on effect of not having Civ style Economic Civs, Diplomatic Civs, or Military Civs. It's a good first showing though, hopefully they can pull out an Indus Valley expansion, hell maybe a Yellow River one too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am not a huge fan of the game giving me situations where my choice is destroy my economy in some way or go to war. Also the estimations of military strength cannot be accurate. Egypt was not "weaker" than me when they instantly flooded my territory with chariots the turn after they forced me to go to war with them.

Maybe playing as the Greeks is cursed or something? I played two games to complication, the first with Egypt which I lost because I had no idea what the victory conditions were, and the second as babylon where I was a military and economy superpower, but Carthage had just built every wonder and it was hard to beat their score. But I play Greece, and its just this hopeless, frustrating situation where i'm constantly having wars declared on me and really terrible starting positions and everything.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

New expansion: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2587410/Old_World__Pharaohs_of_the_Nile/?curator_clanid=4777282

Seems to be mostly a set of scenarios but also has the Kush as a new Civ in the standard game.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The scenarios have been good! But im happy for more civs

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Anno posted:

New expansion: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2587410/Old_World__Pharaohs_of_the_Nile/?curator_clanid=4777282

Seems to be mostly a set of scenarios but also has the Kush as a new Civ in the standard game.

Nice

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I feel bad, I've heard how much work they put into their scenarios and I know my chance of playing them is zero

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2587430/Old_World__Wonders_and_Dynasties/

And another expansion! Exactly what it says on the tin, a lot of playable characters and wonders.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lovin' the new expansion so far. more wonders really helps.

fake edit: oh wow thanks for capturing the title bar windows

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Just getting started with this. It seems really well supported for a game with a pretty small audience.

Am I right that none of the DLC except the religion one add new events/mechanics to already existing leaders? Like you only get them when you are ready for as new start?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yes. And even the religion one is more like an event lack for a game with a lot of events. It kind of adds some event-driven mechanics but in the game there are a lot of event-driven mechanics that are of minor concern. It's integrated organically and it will be hard for you to know which events are base game and which are added on an expansion.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
This game is fantastic.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The definition of nail-biter. Done on The Great difficulty. Babylon went from like 52 points to 57 points within five turns, so I was almost assuredly going to lose by next turn. Got lucky with my last leader being a Scholar so I could desperately redraw my tech cards to ensure I didn't waste any science on pointless stuff and still needed every bit of Civics and science I could scrounge up (including several successful steals from Babylon) to just barely make it. This is still one of the few 4X games where the late game isn't a total mindless curbstomp of hapless AIs. Also Ambition Victory is so, so hard, you need so many things to go right for it to even be a viable option, let alone executing on it. Soren Johnson and co were definitely right to move away from the initial conceit of ambitions being the only victory method.

It's a crying shame this game isn't more popular than it is, for my money it's absolutely the best 4X on the market right now.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Soren Johnson is an excellent game designer and Old World is sadly underappreciated IMO.

I found it MUCH more engaging than Civ VI.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Certainly better than Shafer lol

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I find it weird no one seems to have a mod for many more events. I feel like I've seen 95% of the 3000 events because I see so many repeats. Same with exploring places (100% of those). Are they too hard to do?

I feel like there should be more full soap opera events. Hidden twins. Babies found in reed boats who come into the royal family and later revolt. Mysterious dissaperences of heirs to the throne who come back with a comedy relief clown and take it back from their evil uncle with a rebel slave army. Heir's who go off to a tragic war and come back 10 years later and try and claim their throne back.

Random adventurer's show up and claim they killed a dragon and rescued your daughter and now want half the kingdom. Scouts who come back and say they fought harpies and escaped giant cyclops. The option to drop someone into a pit trap for failing for the last time. A very large man with a Scottish accent who brought back a princess and demands their swamp back.

I know there a few like this, but I really want to see more and it seems to be lacking. I want to see the full Tele Novela experience. I guess Crusader Kings is this, but the interface for that game looks much worse.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Trivia posted:

Soren Johnson is an excellent game designer and Old World is sadly underappreciated IMO.

I found it MUCH more engaging than Civ VI.

Its my favorite 4X since Civ 4. Not a surprise since Johnson developed both games.

They are patching this game very frequently and its getting a DLC every few months so I definitely encourage everyone to buy the game and play it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

I forgot At the Gates existed until reading this post. I didn't even know it came out over four years ago.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Shafer didn't make any games that are truly great, but somehow he trasnformed the industry, or maybe he was at the right time at the right place. Civ4 never got a lot of clones, but I could list a lot of games that deliberately copied Civ5 looks and mechanics. Not like he had invented hexes and 1 unit per tile, but he made it a player expectation to a point that Old World does this too.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

It's cool that he did his best to kill the civ series with the BtS expansion (terrible concepts like espionage and blimps) and Civ 5 and then scammed kickstarter, went to work for... Stardock? Paradox? Had to quit from wherever it was and then was forced to complete his lovely kickstarter and then disappeared forever? I hope, cause I haven't heard of him since?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Civ 5 and XCOM were imo two games that got extremely influential largely because of the massive quality of life improvements they brought to their respective genres (in addition to being pretty nice in their core gameplay).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Janissary Hop posted:

It's cool that he did his best to kill the civ series with the BtS expansion (terrible concepts like espionage and blimps) and Civ 5 and then scammed kickstarter, went to work for... Stardock? Paradox? Had to quit from wherever it was and then was forced to complete his lovely kickstarter and then disappeared forever? I hope, cause I haven't heard of him since?

He quit Stardock to do At the Gates and then went to work for Paradox after development of At the Gates stalled out and finished it part-time.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Groovelord Neato posted:

He quit Stardock to do At the Gates and then went to work for Paradox after development of At the Gates stalled out and finished it part-time.

For a certain definition of "finished".

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Jon Shafer was the lead designer of the worst Civ IV expansion and the first iteration of Civ V which turned out to be unplayable garbage before Ed Beach fixed it with GK and BNW. And his track record outside of Firaxis is somehow even worse.

He seems to not be terribly good at his job. Which is a shame because he was one of the OGs, a dude who wrote Civ mods and guides and got his dream job for a series he was a passionate fan of, but the game design chops just weren’t fully there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Super Jay Mann posted:

Jon Shafer was the lead designer of the worst Civ IV expansion and the first iteration of Civ V which turned out to be unplayable garbage before Ed Beach fixed it with GK and BNW. And his track record outside of Firaxis is somehow even worse.

He seems to not be terribly good at his job. Which is a shame because he was one of the OGs, a dude who wrote Civ mods and guides and got his dream job for a series he was a passionate fan of, but the game design chops just weren’t fully there.

He and I around the same age and while I played an ungodly amount of Civ IV I can't imagine being the lead designer for the next entry at age 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shafer would just be a mediocre designer to me that unfortunately never managed to live up to his own self estimation. But the fact he went on Three Moves Ahead for years talking about At The Gates like it was going to revolutionize the genre only for the game to get delayed for half a decade and then come out in such a poor state makes the whole story hilarious and tragic.

I can see how he got the jobs he did, he can spin a design yarn but the execution is completely lacking in all of his projects.