Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Question to you people who make your own mixtapes. When recording from a PC to cassette I have problems with inconsistent loudness, I often just record straight from a youtube video, or an mp3 and sound levels vary a lot between files.

Are there programs that I can load a bunch of music files into, like mp3 that can automatically adjust the sound levels so I get a consistent level across songs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Replaygain?

It's built in to foobar2000.

I use loudgain on Linux.

Maybe normalise them using Audacity?

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 21, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Normalizing, that's the term! I have heard it before but it wouldn't fall out of my brain.

I'll look up those programs, see what I go with.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I got into tapes recently and I've been combing my local record and thrift stores. Sometimes I bring home a tape and it's got terrible distortion or flutter and wow - is there anything I can do to fix these tapes? If not, is there any use for them, or do I just have some fun plastic trash?

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I had a friend who used hosed up old warbly tapes for audio samples in PE music.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'm looking to record a mix tape for my S.O. as like a romantic nostalgic but also kinda in joke thing. I just need a casette recorder that has line in right? Any good recommendations for a tape recorder that does this?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Kwolok posted:

I'm looking to record a mix tape for my S.O. as like a romantic nostalgic but also kinda in joke thing. I just need a casette recorder that has line in right? Any good recommendations for a tape recorder that does this?

If you care at all about listening on the cassette, you want a stereo recorder. If it's just for the gaffe, grab whatever they have at the thrift store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

My favorite release this year got a cassette release. Hell yeah.