Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
I was poo poo at updating my old thread. Sorry. Long story short, I converted the 8v carbed 1.3 to a 16 v MPFI 1.3 (sequential spark and fuelling!). It ended up running , licensed, insured and on the road… for 2 weeks. Then it was upside down.

So now I have a wrecked samurai with a pretty nice Speeduino run engine. I also recently obtained another Samurai.
That means I have 2 good engines, 2 good transmissions, 2 good front axles, 2 good rear axles, 2 good transfer cases (and some other poo poo).

The samurai is pretty symmetrical…

here a random internet picture of a samurai stripped to it’s chassis (the 'roni restrictions means I can't get to where the cars are right now)

Can you gues the idea?

So, some initial challenges.
How to get the wheels to go the right way?

Some combination of front and rear axles hooked up to the different direction pointing engines should drive them the correct way. Whether this wrecks the axles or not is to be seen
I’m thinking 2 front axles, the one connected to the front one running the normal way with the rear output of the transfer case disconnected. The one connected to the engine and transmission pointing backwards with its normally front axle output connected to the rear axle. This means both axles will be spinning in their intended direction, but both transfer cases will be weirdly loaded. There are certainly options to reinforce/fiddle with the tcase front output.

Gearshifting.

2 clutch pedals , 2 transmissions, 2 shifters. Facing opposite directions.. hmmm… Absurd linkage mechanism? Robot arms? 2 drivers?

I Initially considered an overly complicated set of linkages between the shifters, but figured these engines are unlikely to be staying in any sort of rigid relationship for long.

Having a detailed look inside the transmission, complements of a rebuild guide, looks like theres enough space to do some shenanigans with the shifting rods to get them to play nice together. CADing up a couple of ideas now. Either hydraulic or a cabled linkage arrangement (for the rigidity problem).

Clutch contol
2 clutch pedals, with some sorta way to sync them at some point. Will get back to it

Engines
I have 2 directions I can take. I will be using the stock G13 bottom on both sides. Because I have them. The 2nd samurai has a factory janky rear end carb on the 8v head. I’d already started on some EFI ITB’s for the same head for another project, which may end up on it. The PO had a 24v sticker on it, so it’d only be nice to live up to that aspiration.

The other option is a little saner, but a bit more expensive, which is convert the 2nd engine to the same 16V EFI head. The primary cost difference is the 2nds head and 2nd set of conrods. Either way, I’ll be needing another fuel pump, set of injectors, speeduino, coils etc etc.

Mounting wise, the front one will stay where it is. Some "minor" adjustments will be made for the back engine. Figurn out the 2nd transfer case mount comes first, then working backwards from there.

Throttle contol
Depends very much on how the engines end up. Playing with some speeduino code. May ditch the ITB’s and have a single fly by wire throttle on each and try and code in some sanity. Or just wear clown shoes when driving this clown car.

Why?
Shame to see the work in the 16v engine go to waste, plus I have been told I'm only alowed 1 junker in the yard. Didn't say how many engines that junker could have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sorry it got crashed, but now it can live again!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Subscribed, >1 engine projects are always amazing, I have high hopes for your project and for this thread

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is insane and i love it.

Trying to think it out but my brain sucks, I think if you use two front axles to give yourself 4 wheel steering you could just run the front engine to the rear axle and the rear engine to the front axle and flip the front axle upside down and eliminate the transfer cases entirely.

That would, unfortunately, put both pumpkins on the same side meaning your driveshafts would be crossing.

I created this high tech render to help think this out.

it would be perfect if you could just flip the pumpkin.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 19, 2020

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

some halfassed cad for a sanity check for proposed shifter likage thingy. (the piston bores would be capped etc, just a mock thing)

A 1st/2nd
B 3rd/4th
C 5th/R
D 5th/R
E 3rd/4th
F 1st/2nd

the position of the shifter for 1st is forward and left, pushing shaft A backwards, we want shaft F to move in the same way. i.e. engange 1st.

a hydralic line from A1->F1 and A2-> F2, should make both shift into 1st/2nd as shaft A moves back and forth.
lines from B1->E1, B2->E2, C1->D1, C2->D2 would do the rest.

edit for clarity:
a pic of the shafts. the lighter grey shafts in the CAD would be joined to those. The driving side would retain the selector mechanism and drive cylinders ABC. DEF would be in the 2nd transmissions in the housing driving the equivalent shafts, without the shifter selection stuff installed.

That's also on the cards! I need to sanity check the rotation stuff with my hands on it. The more I think about it the more my head hurts. Some combination of them will work! The concern is that flipping the axle may have an issue with driving/driven faces, need to take a look. The reason for eliminating both rear driveshafts and using the front shafts was space, but if it could fit I'd be very happy to eliminate the t-cases and use the rear shafts. Alternatively there's the mating of the two t-cases to make some unholy abomination of a torque balancing system

Edit 2: I have to flip AN axle. if I flip the front one. I can use the rear of the tcases, or scrap them. If I flip the rear, I have to use the front of the tcase.

fins fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 20, 2020

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Update: English wheel shipped! oh god what am I doing I cant even weld that well

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Make an 8x8 by extending the chassis front and rear, build a half-scale Tatra 813.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Now it's getting silly...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

yes you could say that

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

fins posted:

Now it's getting silly...

You've been well past silly. What does that do?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A really fancy helping hands setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Because who doesn’t need a 6ft tall, 500lb, 24 year old, 6 axis industrial robot arm in their life?

taqueso posted:

A really fancy helping hands setup

Pretty close!

I read a paper on combining an english wheel with a 6 axis robots and machine vision + neural network goodness, and figured, huh, all I’m missing is a giant robot arm. Half a bottle of rum and some ebay later, and here we are.

More papers on incremental sheet forming and “Mechatroforming®”, and I figure I can jam sheet metal into the planishing hammer with it too, and hopefully get something like the NURBS surface I modelled.

Making complex buck forms is less daunting when you can duct tape a router to your handy robot.

Slap a die grinder on the end, head port matching or combustion chamber tweaks become a breeze.

And I’m a job creator!
Retard masturbators can finally work from home.