Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Dylan posted:

SENT FROM MY D-PHONE

The "D" stands for "Douche."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KataraniSword posted:

Then why was it only the Enforcer version that had the storage? Also, if it was a disc drive, would it really have survived 20 years of no use after its main output unit literally went up in flames?

Good questions. I suspect the real answer here is "the devs needed a story excuse for why only you still have access to all this content" and they didn't expect us to think about it so hard. I certainly don't believe that with late 90's tech you could fit 1GB of rewritable storage onto a wearable device. Remember that the first iPods came out in 2002 with about as small of disk-based hard drives as you could manage at the time, and they were still moderately chunky (and heavy!) devices.

I suppose it's possible that the Enforcer headband also comes with an Enforcer control box that contains the storage, and they just didn't mention it for some reason. That's about all I can think of. :shrug:

As for the drive surviving, it's not impossible. As I understand it, the main issues with hard drives are mechanical failure of the moving components (not much of an issue so long as the drive isn't powered, and is stored in a stable, dust-free environment), and failure of the permanent magnets, which gradually lose strength over time. Bit rot of the data on the platters is presumably also an issue but I couldn't find stats on how quickly that happens. That will be a random process though, kind of like radioactive material breaking down. It's possible that the drive had to be run through a data-recovery process and some data is corrupted. At least all of the non-Enforcer software presumably could be archived by other users, so that's not an issue.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

KataraniSword posted:

EDIT: Also x3 combo, T1M having (and leaking) Corey and Zane's passwords is more or less proof that he used the other two as sockpuppets to harass his crush. Yikes. He may not have ever been responsible for a murder (or four/five), but he sure was a dick of a teenager.

I normally try and let folks think whatever they'd like buuuut those chatlogs were def Corey/Zane. Tiff posted pictures of herself in mid November, which possibly increased their interest in her. Zane/Corey change their pages at the same time announcing that they're both newly single and coincidentally now fans of horror movies, etc etc.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gaspy Conana posted:

I normally try and let folks think whatever they'd like buuuut those chatlogs were def Corey/Zane. Tiff posted pictures of herself in mid November, which possibly increased their interest in her. Zane/Corey change their pages at the same time announcing that they're both newly single and coincidentally now fans of horror movies, etc etc.

Huh. Weirdly glad to hear it.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I forgot about that guy's rap songs. I laughed as soon as I read the lyrics to them, they're so sweet!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

This game was a huge nostalgia trip for me since it reminded me of all those hours I wasted on AOL dial-up in the 90s.

And yeah, I think the mindcrash was indeed Dylan's fault. Tim's viruses were gross but ultimately seemed harmless.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Today is the day the big Hypnospace update is coming!! Which I will cover!! I've just been super down lately and kind of neglecting this LP. Still, if you want to replay or pick this game up, now's the time.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Yep! Update + console launch! More info in this vid. If you saw this thread and had any interest in playing yourself, now's a good time. Here's a new trailer on it:

https://twitter.com/jaytholen/status/1295753287111782400

There's quite a bit of new content, but it's essentially the "what the game would've been like at launch if we had a few more months of dev time" update. Not to downplay it, there's a good amount there, but it's spread out across the entire game and much of it is unlisted. :)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Chinely posted:

Today is the day the big Hypnospace update is coming!! Which I will cover!! I've just been super down lately and kind of neglecting this LP. Still, if you want to replay or pick this game up, now's the time.

Remember, your mental health is more important than any LP project or whatever.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I don't know if it's been said, but a VR version of this game would be amazing.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Whew, happy this is continuing. This was where I petered out on the game and just read pages. Found the one red flag, but didn't get the other. Can't wait!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I picked up this game for Switch, even though I already have it on Steam, chiefly because* I have a tendency to leave my Switch on while I'm doing other things and I am looking forward to when I'm far enough in the game to turn on the player and have some Klyfta or something playing in the background rather than the same old Animal Crossing music I've been zoning out to.

*Well, because it's a good game, too. I'm not going around buying bad games twice. Usually.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I have to say, they really nailed the feel of '90s internet. I happened to stumble across this actual page when doing unrelated research into the 90's mac icons subculture, and it has exactly the same energy.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Keeping this alive.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Tis not dead, noble Danny Glands. UK is entering a 2nd lockdown and I'm still unemployed and depressed, but what better time to explore the world?

Tomorrow, anyway. Let's get back to Hypnospace !!

and if I don't post you're allowed to @ me in the Discord !!!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 17 - Outlaw v1.0

Good thing we aren't under any time limit now that Hypnospace Outlaw has swapped to tracking the real date and time! This is also the first update which is post Hypnospace PLUS (and now post v2.34, oops!)! And shortly before the finale of the game is a perfect time to explore all that new content!

Just kidding, it would be unfair if I made you wait this long and started exploring a load of new things instead.

Here we are! Back at M1nx, albeit on the start date of Hypnospace Outlaw (November 5th, 1999). It IS possible to access M1nx at this date but you pretty much need knowledge you won't get until later on.

It's a forum! They've been suspiciously light in this game so far, but here we go. Secret hacker forum time. Here we find out that the reason Counselor Ronnies page sucks is that he's an intentional troll, BWL! You think Merchantsoft cared?

... or weren't complicit! 80005 is Dylan Merchant, of course. dumpy_1 is the guy who writes the Dumpster, Jezz0 is a Merchantsoft intern.

My friend and yours, re3koning_inc here. They made our favourite tool, and also had the leak about the Hypnospace headband causing a dangerous lack of restful sleep.

Extremely weird dynamic here of Dylan being on an underground hacker board and... defending the poor practices of Merchantsoft to people who CLEARLY know what they're talking about and won't buy his PR. Especially when we've disproved all these things, bwl.

Rest of the threads for today, let's take a lookie.

I sense some antagonism.

What happened to the whole 'we work as a committee'?

Good thing this doesn't happen any more. And that's it for the 5th, now for the 26th!

Small smattering of threads. Going from the bottom up this time.

... I don't remember her! I think this is a page we have to search for.

Lo and behold.

Her advice on GHG is certainly something more people should heed ... Also, out of curiosity I looked it up and confirmed it: Connie is indeed new in the Hypnospace Plus update!

We can do a little detour ...

:siren: RedStryke - Remember Me (hey, this is new!)

We've got a Hypnospace Outlaw first: someone on Goodtime Valley who knows how to use a computer. And some new music!

Personally, I hear the best advice for passwords is to make it basically random and then just write it down. People online can't steal it if it's in a notebook in your desk drawer. That might make the game slightly difficult, however.

Ahrgh, more stuff! We'll come back for y- NEW CURSORS? HOT DIGGITY!

Oh hell yeah, Internet rant videos. Never been my thing, I tend to get pretty put off by media where the person is angry or not having a great time.

We'll explore more indepth later, but first ...

I'm even date hopping for all of them.

Oh hell yes.

Oh how different this LP could have been if this was in earlier...

Tree time.

Incredible! Amazing!

Ahhh!!!! Out of curiosity I checked what the hand cursor is for this and it's a frog!!! Frog!!!! FrogLuvr85 has a frog cursor!!! Thank you Jay Tholen!!!!!!

The hourglass is an ant, which also happens to be one of my favourite animals.

...OK it's going to keep linking to new stuff. We'll be back for you, Connie.

Can't believe Beefbrain was a M1nx hoax... a thing everyone slightly computer literate was already saying!

Haha, imagine if your headband actually exploded. This thread is after that actually happened, if you're wondering.

Wow! What an actual dickhead!

Oh, hey, here it is. Father Fungus is... Fre3zer! I'm not sure if I found the evidence, but you can find somewhere that the guy we saw at the concert isn't actually Fre3zer, as the real artist has wicked anxiety and refused to go up on stage for the concert.

I went and just found the page saying that. It's in Coolpunk Paradise on the 5th of November, but if we check later...

Bam! Surprised M1nx didn't find this themselves, but I guess they aren't that interested.

Last page for this date in M1nx. Tim was pretty close to getting in!

Dawn of the final day...!

Dylan still sucks, what else is new.

Shocker: He's still trying to bullshit the people who know better. And isn't paying his interns. And ignored that they're asking about that.

Dylan has been banned, at last.

More posts on the Tim thread... oh hello, the leak. This should be what we saw about the health issues.

Looks like this is useful for Sam... and it's the last post on M1nx.

...no, it doesn't look like it is. It's been removed, but... M1nx said it's mirrored in the freelands.

It's sort of hard to navigate, but re3koning should still be there.

Hmm, let's see.

Going back to other dates, this clinical leak does seem to be new. Also a pirated version of Hypnocure Pro.

Hmm, this is what we've seen before. But that leak page seems to be different.

:siren: Slushmouth - Castles in Limbo

...so why not go to leaky piping! You can find out about this one by checking out re3koning's personal page.

It's one of the listed projects.

001... the MYSTERY OF THE DELETED ZONES!

Disgusting that Hypnospace panders to the worst people: NERDS.

And they were correct, they're being throttled!

Jeez, poor Roddy.

We can download these, just in case you really want a sticker of Dylan Merchant being an rear end in a top hat.

002... DYLAN'S BAD CAR GAME!

Jeez Samantha, what are you, a programmer?

Nerds suck, but we need those nerds. Video game nerds, not comic book or roleplaying nerds.

003... NAM!

Artie, my favourite boy, makes a return.

Slight tangent, there's a show here in the UK called Four In a Bed, it's a reality TV show where people go around and visit each others Bed n Breakfasts (and sometimes hotels) and rate each other, and it always gets incredibly spiteful. One of the contestants was a middle aged Scottish lady called Karen who was extremely new age and reminded me of Artie. There's nothing better than hearing "Namaste." in a Scottish accent, from a woman named Karen.

... as bad a boss as Adrian Merchant was, and he WAS, it is kind of endearing to see him do this in his 'comfy giraff chair'. And Arties reminder that he can just come round to his office instead of doing it over ChitChat. Love this.

004... THIS SOUNDS BAD...

Yeah... here we go. Discussing those medical tests Hypnospace ordered.

...think we've found our evidence!

...and evidence that Dylan knew it was potentially dangerous!

Let's Sam this baby.

And now we've got the opportunity to send her that medical research!

... oh no! You don't know us, Dylan, and you definitely didn't ban me for leaking your file sharing.

Time to send this evidence to Sam... and that's it. That's all she needs.

So... what people guessed was true. Tim DIDN'T do it, Dylan did, and now we have the evidence. Dylan stole away a childs teenage years, and his young adulthood, and he never had to face the consequences for his crappy coding that killed people.

... oh.

Hm.

I'm not sure Outlaw being finished makes up for this, but I'll play it.

:siren: Eulogy

It's Jay Tholen... waving!

An angelic choir plays during this ...

They're the people who died during the Mindcrash.

Three down ...

... Tiff.

Last one.

(Who I crashed in to)

... that's the game!

Let's read the files.

Jeez, Dylan, you killed the guy and now you call his family white trash.

And... that's it. If we hadn't banned people (my game glitched a bit and hadn't acted like I'd saved Zane in the video, but I did) Zane and Carl Parker III can also die. These four are mandatory though, they can't be saved.

I'm... mixed on these messages. I don't think the game particularly wants you to forgive Dylan, just see that he regrets what he has done, but I personally believe some acts are unforgivable. You don't get an act of redemption, you just have to live with what you've done for the rest of your life and have to try to be better. You can certainly learn from them, or become a better person, but a lot of this is just to work through Dylan's guilt. And the people he killed can never decide to forgive him, if they'd even want to, but he can at least now try and be a better person. Far too late, and after destroying years of Tim's life, but it's something.

Credits time...!

:siren: Jay Tholen - Millenium Anthem (2000 New Years Eve)

You're getting the full thing. These people made a masterpiece.

Thanks for the smileys, guys!

Skipping the Kickstarter Backers (sorry! This is already a really long update! But thank you!)

And... that's it! That's Hypnospace! Thank you so much for following me on my first (technically) complete Let's Play, thank you to Jay Tholen for contributing to my own thread even if it is terrifying to talk about somebodies game to the person that made it (but you were very nice about it!), and thanks to you for reading this game. It's... really lovely. It's just a lovely game. Not enough games are made as just a passionate love letter to a time, or place, or feeling, and this one is really special.

Coming next... I go and visit every single page! In every time!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I really like the reveal with Adrian's chat logs in this. In most stories like this Adrian would be a smooth, manipulative, ruthless executive with a clever scheme. But actually, hypnospace doesn't get ruined by a Saturday morning villain, it gets ruined by an idiot who can't bother to type properly and thinks he's much cleverer than he is. Evil isn't glamorous.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This is a great game.

The ending makes me kinda sad but I suppose that's the point.

Thanks for showing it off.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I dawdled a lot before opening Outlaw 1.0, Dylan’s “confession of sorts,” because I thought for sure that he had designed it to be even more destructive than the last version to kill me for trying to expose him.

That goes to show why I like Dylan’s apologies. They show how he has changed post-mindcrash: He allows Tim to take the fall for the deaths, but it’s not because of the arrogance we saw before. The weight of his crimes has pushed all of that out of him, he admits to himself what he did and the guilt twists in his gut like a fowl parasite. Instead it is his cowardice that causes him to stand aside while Tim’s life is destroyed. It doesn’t make him more sympathetic, it just gives you some insight into his motivations.

quote:

You could've become someone your mother was proud of. I'm sorry Zane.

quote:

I hope you're with your wife now, Carl. I'm sorry.

EDIT: Here’s a fun fact. Since the news reporter says how many people died from the Mindcrash, there are different versions of the cutscene that play depending on how many people you saved by banning them. There’s a version where he says six, five, four and three people died. However, the latter is unused since you can only save Zane and Carl.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 7, 2020

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Dylan's emails in the present have "SENT FROM MY D-PHONE" at the end of them. Is that just a regular smartphone, or is it a phone designed by Dylan and sold by Merchantsoft that got Dylan Steve-Jobs-rich after dodging the blame for killing those people? Though I suppose in that case it would be an M-Phone or a Merch-Phone.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Too little, too late, Dylan.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I MUST talk about the Klyfta tapes. This type of dude who was old-in-the-90s, wild, but hip with it enough to be on digital spaces is so true to my lived experience, but I haven't found it represented until I read the notes for the Klyfta band camp. When you find an airbrushed van out in the wild, ask the owner who did his piece and you will find someone who is just as well known in the Long Beach SCA scene as he is in the Geocities Vanlyfe webring.

https://schlarb.bandcamp.com/album/cosmic-pilgrimage-the-klyfta-tapes-1972-1975

quote:

It was November 1974. An exhausted 18-year-old Bill Aldrin was clocking out following a ten hour shelf stocking stint at King Foods' Ojai location. In the same plaza stood Bill's personal nirvana, a closet-sized record store called Hi-Fi Fever. It was there that Bill would tithe a portion of his King Foods earnings every other Friday. In exchange for Bill's unwavering loyalty, Ojai's god of music (aka Henry, Hi-Fi's proprietor) would set aside whichever bargain bin records had the longest track times and most otherworldly cover art. Bill would purchase these artifacts and embark on a weekend of blissful sojourns across uncharted sonic landscapes. Klyfta's A (1972) and B (1974) were among the most memorable of these adventures.

It is now 2020. That exhausted 18-year-old Bill is now a relaxed 63-year-old Bill and the mind behind Ojai's longest running music publication, Aldrin's House of Sound. That Bill also happens to have been partially responsible for the Klyfta 'revival' of the early 2000s, following his online sleeptime chronicling of the band's music and history. That Bill, dear liner note readers, is me. I am that Bill..... *text continues for length of first track*

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Chinely posted:

Update 17 - Outlaw v1.0
Coming next... I go and visit every single page! In every time!

May you have better luck with some of the CYOA type page clusters than I...

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Yo, I do still plan to do this. An update every 3 months and I'll have this game finished in no time. Things just haven't been so hot for ol Chinely! See you soon folks!

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Sorry, but I'm about to make things worse because this bugs me.

Update 8 posted:

[timg]https://lpix.org/3726097/HypnOS_bmyTxvGVVm.jpg[/img

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
so I just mainlined this entire LP and man does it capture that late 90s early 00s Internet feeling *so well*. The kinda poo poo we were writing out in Notepad after an intro CS class, thinking we were hot poo poo. The old folks trying to stake out their own little homestead and just not at all getting the culture. The juvenile attitudes, the casual homophobia... god drat. It really was like that, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

I'm excited to see what new pages have come in with the Plus update, honestly.