Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the chart is dumb because the only way you can call andrew johnson "bad" is if you assume that his goal was not to surrender to the just-defeated south. since it was, he was extremely successful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

why is lincoln rated as the #1 in ability to compromise when he actually refused to compromise such that he put the nation to war

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Shear Modulus posted:

why is lincoln rated as the #1 in ability to compromise when he actually refused to compromise such that he put the nation to war

To be fair to Lincoln, his election started the ACW. The south was all "LINCOLN SAID HE THOUGHT SLAVERY SHOULD END SOMEHOW IN AN UNDEFINED FUTURE POINT, WE WILL SECEEDE IF LINCOLN IS ELECTED"

and Lincoln was elected. It's still weird, though, because you are correct, Lincoln recognized that compromise on slavery just didn't loving work, and hadn't worked for decades. I mean, sure, he had the ability to listen to all sorts of people, and his cabinet had people of different viewpoints and parties, but this was after the southerners went rebel; that cleared out a bunch of assholes, so of course the remainder were more reasonable

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This thread is very US-centric, let's rank Canadian prime ministers

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
according to the brain trusts who were polled for those Canada surveys, the #1 thing that makes you a good leader is being in office for a long time

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

vyelkin posted:

according to the brain trusts who were polled for those Canada surveys, the #1 thing that makes you a good leader is being in office for a long time

I do like that there's literally no data aside from that, it's literally "performance in poll" for their performance in the poll

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liMlM4rhkkA

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm the luck stat

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm the luck stat

at least they were smart enough to put the guy who got pneumonia and died like two weeks into his term dead last there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYz1ADttI1g (very high on Luck and Avoiding Critical Mistakes)

2. Hitler (imgainitive and willing to take risks, very poorly rated on most other metrics)