Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Problem description: On my main PC I was getting major artifacting after playing monster hunter for a bit and reading up online it seems that this was a common issue with the RTX drivers I had (445.75). I didn't have a version without the issue to roll back to, so I attempted a clean install of version 442.74, which apparently doesn't have the issue. During install, it asked me to restart and after that I've never been able to get anything to display on screen. Even the BIOS screen isn't showing up for me.

Attempted fixes: Unplugged/replugged connections. Attempted to enter BIOS on boot even though screen doesn't display. Resets. Plugged the monitor into the MOBO hdmi video connection. Nothing seems to be having an effect.

Recent changes: Nothing beside what's mentioned above

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs:
Intel Gen 9
RTX 2080
32GB Ram

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

That's me out of ideas. Best I can think of at this point is to use a boot USB to reinstall windows, but I'd rather not do that if there's an easier fix. Plus I'm not sure if it'll even work if I can't get to the bios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If you aren't even getting VBIOS display, anything before Windows even loads up, chances are it's the card itself that's gone bad.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

DOOMocrat posted:

If you aren't even getting VBIOS display, anything before Windows even loads up, chances are it's the card itself that's gone bad.

Thanks for responding. I thought that too but I can't even get a display when I plug the monitor hdmi into the motherboard. I would think I should be able to do that even if the graphics card went bad on me?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Does your Gen9 have an iGPU on it, and is the graphics card unplugged from board? I think it's the KF series that has no iGPU in it at all.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

So I gathered up my windows install usb and my screw drivers determined to try a fresh install and then replace the gfx card with an old standby if that didn’t work. Attached the usb and booted up and... it started up completely normally. I think coming at it with that kind of threatening aura scared it back into compliance. Reupped the driver and everything is back to 100%. Weird since it had been failing to work for a full week up until now.

Thanks for the solid advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Weird! Still may wanna stress test the GPU and register that warranty, just in case. Either way, hooray. :toot: