Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rare Beasts. There's no legislating for unicorns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Other.

We loving love stamps.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Other.

We loving love stamps.
I'm going with this. A dragon who is a loving philatelist and engages in all sorts of weird and crazy things just to satisfy their obsession with stamps is hilarious to me. We don't know WHY we love them so much, but when we woke up and learned about human society and saw these... little valuable pictures they use to send messages, we felt something deep inside. Perhaps it is vanity, seeing these pictures of people that the humans respect, perhaps we want to collect and horde valuable stamp as we plot to take OUR rightful place on the stamps as the being worthy of their veneration!?

We need to collect stamps while somehow, covertly or overtly, manipulating the world to get OUR face on not just a stamp, but ALL of the stamps! Everywhere!

Every human must know and revere our GLORIOUS image!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 29, 2020

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Diogines posted:

I'm going with this. A dragon who is a loving philatelist and engages in all sorts of weird and crazy things just to satisfy their obsession with stamps is hilarious to me. We don't know WHY we love them so much, but when we woke up and learned about human society and saw these... little valuable pictures they use to send messages, we felt something deep inside. Perhaps it is vanity, seeing these pictures of people that the humans respect, perhaps we want to collect and horde valuable stamp as we plot to take OUR rightful place on the stamps as the being worthy of their veneration!?

We need to collect stamps while somehow, covertly or overtly, manipulating the world to get OUR face on not just a stamp, but ALL of the stamps! Everywhere!

Every human must know and revere our GLORIOUS image!

I really like this suggestion, but it feels like a bad fit with the rest. How about we put a pin in it as our rival's motivation? Stamp-collecting vigilante hero who does it to get put on commemorative stamps (and other functional ephemera but especially stamps), the two dragons glowering at each other across the San Francisco Bay between skirmishes.

As for our own holdings, we run a large and growing bootlegging empire and have recently branched out into trafficking unicorns and other legendary beasts. Sneaking a cask of unicorn tears past customs isn’t terribly different from sneaking a cask of brandy through, after all. Still, we’ve always loved fine liquor on its own merits, and first switched to bootlegging to protect our original hoard from hatchet-wielding teetotalers. Now our hoard is notorious as one of the few remaining aging cellars in the United States, and as painful as it is to sell a drop, the premium on booze that “doesn’t make you blind or taste like paint thinner” pays for its replacement and then some.

Since we can’t get drunk off liquor, we have to get drunk on power which is why we’ve got so many minions. They’re not exactly armed to the teeth, but it’s nice to give them signature weapons as a calling card.

Moving on to the next vote: How do we deal with problems?
A) Rip and tear - We like to get our claws dirty, roasting and eviscerating foes personally. Our minions handle the boring logistics and paperwork.
B) Condescending glare - It's more fun to *threaten* to rip and tear. Carry through if necessary, but people tend to lose their nerve when confronted by a dragon.
C) Grand entrance - Minions are usually adequate, but sometimes you need to make a big impression and that's when we swoop in.
D) Leave it to the minions - That's what minions are for, after all. Some might call this cowardly, but this face is too beautiful to put in harm's way.
E) Creative accounting - Our lawyers and accountants keep us out of the worst trouble, somehow. Doesn’t help much with rivals, though.
F) Other (write-in) - Something else?

Most of these options can coexist so this vote is mostly setting the sliders, unless we end up evenly split between Rip and tear and Leave it to the minions or something weird.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
B

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Do it yourselves, minions

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Before I exhale in such a manner as to reduce you to cinders, might I recommend rephrasing that?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
B

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
F Submachingun

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

E Don't get lynched by tax fraud laws y'all.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Minions are fine when it comes to counting beans, reading maps, and moving barrels, but when it comes to shaking down lowlives there's nothing like meeting in perso-, uh, face--to-face. Most goons will fold when cornered by a dragon, and a lungful of smoke can convince a few more. A handful even defect to our side.

As for those moral giants who stand up to us?

"Benny, rub 'em out."

Lead's good enough for them. We're keeping our fires hot for a real rival, someone who'd actually appreciate it. Yeah, we're talking other dragons. Also the Feds, but they haven't come knocking yet.

---

It's not the perfect cover, nothing is, but we've bought up a shipping company and do some legitimate business with it. Together with the oil refinery we're eyeing, we'll be able to launder barrels of flammable liquid practically out in the open. At least the cheap stuff. The good stuff is staying in our personal hoard.

For the magical beasts, let's just say the San Francisco Zoo has a brand new wing with our name on it, and a nameless quarantine hospital. Hospital's not open to the public. Animals might get sick, people might get sick. Let's leave it at that.

---

Let's figure a bit out about what we look like.

A) Beautiful - Magazine cover material.
B) Fearsome - Airbrushed onto a van.
C) Scarred - We've gotten into, and survived, a lot of fights.
D) Friendly - Soft features like a children's character.
E) Other (write-in)

And how do we feel about our appearance?
1) Love it - drat straight we're the handsomest creature on this green Earth.
2) (lie) Indifferent - It makes the mooks feel bad when we rub it in, so we try not to.
3) (lie) Insecure - Pretend to have a weakness, keep 'em guessing.
4) Other (write-in) - This is probably also a lie.

Suggest some physical traits with your vote, too.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A1 I'm Fabulous.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
D3 we look like a toy plushy and we're really insecure about it.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

B2 We ARE amazing but the grunts don't deserve to feel too jealous of us

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

D3 I'm baby...

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

After looking at some cartoon dragons, I'm starting to think the insecurity wouldn't be an affectation. It's hard to feel like a tough gangster when you look like this:

or this

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
A4 - Genuinely beautiful, genuinely insecure about it so we maintain a constant and demanding beauty regime. You didn't think we sell every unicorn tear do you? Some of that is invaluable scale-wash.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C1 helps with our intimidating

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Tied between Beautiful and Friendly, which I think pegs our aesthetic somewhere around Spyro or How To Train Your Dragon. We're Baby, and we're desperate to grow out of it. Depending on the day of the week we're either worried that people aren't taking us seriously, worried that we won't grow up as beautiful as we hope, or 100% confident that we're the prettiest and only getting prettier.

Our most trusted lieutenants know about our inner turmoil, and know how to lay on the right kind of reassuring flattery. Everyone else, friend and foe, just plays it safe and flatters us anyway.

More cosmetic questions:
What's our body shape?
A) Serpentine - No arms or legs, maybe wings.
B) Weaselly - Long sinuous body with adequate legs, like a Chinese dragon.
C) Regal - The classic quadruped. We can rear back in the manner of a squirrel if we really need to use hands.
D) Kaijumorph - Bipedal but still decidedly inhuman.
E) Other (write-in)

Do we wear clothes?
A) Fully tailored - We probably need an assistant to get dressed.
B) Accessories only - What kind of self-respecting gangster doesn't wear a hat?
C) Commando - Clothes get in the way of being a dragon.
D) Penguin formal - We don't wear clothes because we're patterned in the manner of clothes.
E) Other (write-in)

Some backstory questions coming up after this.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
CB

Classic baby dragon with a tie and fedora

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

D

D

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
CB

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Hmm.

A A A noodle stuffed in a fancy sock!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
CC

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

BB

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
AA some might mistake us for a kite.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
AA

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CA. That should be a nice twist on the typical trope.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
CA

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Regal and tailored it is. Our wings may be vestigial, but that's still a drat sight better than any wings a human's got.

It's not cheap to keep a private tailor around, but we gotta stay decent, and it's not like we can buy suits off the rack. An independent tailor is out of the question, just sending in our measurements would get them asking unnecessary questions.

Unless people have better ideas, our standard wardrobe is a gray pinstripe suit with canary yellow vest, red bow tie, and gray pork pie hat. When visiting someone to give them some persuasion, we also wear a yellow carnation boutonniere.

How did we get where we are?

A) Family business - We inherited our crime empire from our parents. Who are also dragons.
B) Family business (adoptive) - We never knew our dragon parents, but a friendly crime lord raised us from an egg and that's good enough.
C) Coronation - We somehow muddled through our youth without getting into trouble, but a desperate gang appointed us their leader and we turned things around for them.
D) A knack for crime - We started from nothing and built this little empire from the ground up.
E) Desperate times - We started out well-off and lost everything, crime is how we're hoping to claw it all back.
F) Hobby crime - We started out rich and got into crime for the hell of it.
G) Other (write-in)

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

C

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Fame is the thing

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
For fun.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
It has to be C, or a combination of b and c, I feel. A down on their luck group of wannabe mobsters take the ultimate gamble, laying all their hopes and dreams on this one weird egg someone sold them that turned out to be a dragon. Now they have finally raised us to maturity and we are ready to take on the world!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

we're the scariest dragon ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

we're the scariest dragon ever.

Thank you so much for this, we're adorable :D