Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've got a USB3 capture card and I'm wondering what is the best software to use with it.

I don't want to stream or record gameplay, just use it as a way to play HDMI consoles on a laptop without a separate television. So far I've been using OBS Studio, which basically works, though feels overcomplicated, stuffed with options and tends to gobble up CPU while playing (which causes input lag and screen tearing).

Is there a simpler way to just display the incoming 1080p USB3 video feed with a minimum of input lag? I know Windows treats the feed as a webcam, but all the webcam software I've checked out either looks terrible, downscales the HD feed or just doesn't have a proper fullscreen mode.

I've googled it, but all the results assume that if you've got a capture card you're using it for streaming and want software that does that.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
You can try using VLC. Do Open Capture Device from the File menu. It will play (or monitor) without capturing.

I just tried it now with my webcam. I had to specify resolution and aspect ratio manually, but it otherwise worked without any fiddling. No tearing, smooth display, but lots of input lag. You may not be able to eliminate input lag; it may be inherent to the USB capture device.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Thanks for the reply. I tested VLC and it adds too much latency to be playable on the laptop - I fiddled with the settings and the best it can do is about 300ms. On OBS I can get it down to 50ms, so maybe this is the best option after all.