Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

thespaceinvader posted:

A union.

Without politics.

In what possible world is that a thing someone thinks can exist, let alone a loving nominally-Labour politician thinks can exist.

guess which tory former education secretary was a big fan of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this is unrelated to anything but i highly recommend everyone with a netflix account watch dorohedoro. its really loving good

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I have to wonder who that organisation is for because there are really only two groups I can think of who think politics has no place in their lives and that's people who have lived such pampered and cosseted existences that they have never found themselves being abused by power and the hopelessly thick who are incapable of joining the dots of the institutions they interact with and see politics as just a shouting match between people in suits who are all the blahddy same isn't it

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does anyone know what's going on with Game Workers Unite? There's a bunch of chatter on Twitter about some race issue, but I've not been able to piece it together, Twitter just loops me through the same series of tweets. I've been looking at returning to the industry so would have been interested in getting involved.

(Very long, drawn out sigh here. I've been stressing about this all weekend)

I'll try and summarise. Back in November, some organisers in the international Game Workers Unite group(importantly: this is not the same as Game Workers Unite UK: we're a totally autonomous offshoot of the international group, we are a legally-recognised trade union, they are A Bunch of People with a Discord server) discussed the idea of making an anti-white-supremacy statement on the group's Twitter account. I assume this was in response to some incident in the news at the time but my memory is completely scrambled. Anyway, one member, Marijam(full disclosure, I consider Marijam a personal friend), made a clunky observation that maybe the statement was a bit too American-centric(a common criticism of GWU international; it is full of yanks) and the member who had suggested it, Sisi, did not take kindly to this and left the meeting. Marijam reached out to try and explain her thinking better but Sisi did not respond. GWU Discord moderators looked into the matter and decided that Marijam hadn't done anything wrong, just should have chosen her words better. Sisi left the group some time later and has refused to speak to anyone from GWU about it. The statement did go out, unaltered, a week after being proposed, and Marijam assumed that the issue was resolved.

Apparently it wasn't because Sisi started tweeting about it this weekend(maybe it was Friday? I don't understand time anymore) and accusing GWU as a whole of being inherently racist. Marijam has stepped down from her involvement with the group but now GWU UK is being urged to do something about this as she is a member of our union. High-profile member Meg Jayanth has quit the union in protest and has been tweeting a lot about it. We'll be putting out a statement about it later today. I have a lot of thoughts about what's going on and acknowledge my bias in this situation but I'm going to wait and see what our exec committee wants to do.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jose posted:

guess which tory former education secretary was a big fan of it

IDK all of them including the ones they had to necromance to find their opinion.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/shiki079310ik/status/1267379152346218496

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Jose posted:

this is unrelated to anything but i highly recommend everyone with a netflix account watch dorohedoro. its really loving good

I read the manga and if they manage to carry the feeling and style over from that then I would second that. The manga is ace.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Munin posted:

I read the manga and if they manage to carry the feeling and style over from that then I would second that. The manga is ace.

i'm 5 episodes in and so far it definitely has

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

The key factor in Breonna's death were "No Knock" warrants which I hadn't heard of before and they sound super loving deadly for all concerned.
Yeah no-knock raids are up there with the UK's 'shoot to kill' policy in terms of absolute bullshit. Standing outside and trying to establish communication first should be standard, and Louisville police have completely lost all control of the narrative on this one, probably because of the combination that it was the guy's sleeping partner who was killed, and that he was on 911 at the time saying "there's armed men outside, they're trying to break in" and the emergency operator didn't know they were police and advised caution. And then it turned out that the person they were serving the warrant on was already in custody.

It's the perfect case to get both Black Lives Matter and the "if anyone threatens my home and family I'll shoot, read The Constitution" lot literally up in arms, and I hope at a bare minimum it prompts a review of SWAT warrior cop poo poo.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

elbkaida posted:

What is a union without politics???

I was about to say student unions, but even the most useless ones focused entirely on running club nights manage to occasionally make a statement by installing gender neutral bathrooms or banning Blurred Lines or something

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut posted:

It's the perfect case to get both Black Lives Matter and the "if anyone threatens my home and family I'll shoot, read The Constitution" lot literally up in arms, and I hope at a bare minimum it prompts a review of SWAT warrior cop poo poo.

They'll start doing no knock drone strikes to stop ARE TROUPES coming to harm.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sinky posted:

They'll start doing no knock drone strikes to stop ARE TROUPES coming to harm.
It would, sadly, not be unprecedented:

Munin posted:

Waco, cause célèbre. 1985 bombing of MOVE, footnote in history.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A union without politics is like, a particularly dull tea social isn't it?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Angepain posted:

I was about to say student unions, but even the most useless ones focused entirely on running club nights manage to occasionally make a statement by installing gender neutral bathrooms or banning Blurred Lines or something

Student unions are literally student politics though? THey hold elections and everything?

it's not national politics (though it often IS national politics, at least for the ones the media care about, i.e. oxbridge, maybe st andrews, durham, london ones) but it's still politics.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

took them long enough

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1267404588526821379?s=20

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah no-knock raids are up there with the UK's 'shoot to kill' policy in terms of absolute bullshit. Standing outside and trying to establish communication first should be standard, and Louisville police have completely lost all control of the narrative on this one, probably because of the combination that it was the guy's sleeping partner who was killed, and that he was on 911 at the time saying "there's armed men outside, they're trying to break in" and the emergency operator didn't know they were police and advised caution. And then it turned out that the person they were serving the warrant on was already in custody.

I don't understand how they thought they could have both defend-my-castle and no-knock warrant laws in the same place. Like I know the former isn't really meant for everyone (wink wink) but there must be enough overlap to create the group "upstanding white castle guys who turn out to be criminals" that it's a terrible idea, before you even get to mistakes and "mistakes"...

E: about as incompatible as trying to have a hostile environment in a country with a non-standardised patchwork of immigration rights and no central register of people

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 1, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bobstar posted:

I don't understand how they thought they could have both defend-my-castle and no-knock warrant laws in the same place. Like I know the former isn't really meant for everyone (wink wink) but there must be enough overlap to create the group "upstanding white castle guys who turn out to be criminals" that it's a terrible idea, before you even get to mistakes and "mistakes"...

What do you think the chances of them actually executing a no-knock warrant (or any warrant) on an armed white criminal are?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

I think they play into one another in a spiral of poo poo. You create a bunch of guys who are all "I am Sovereign Lord of my Castle and will stockpile assault rifles" that the police can't handle with a baton and a six shooter, so they create Police Assault Team Delta to break into houses and gun down any resistance, and once you've got a bunch of those, armed to the teeth with DoD surplus, the temptation is to use them for everyday warrants because "oh I might get hurt but there's these guys here who won't" and neither side wants to back down.

Bobstar posted:

E: about as incompatible as trying to have a hostile environment in a country with a non-standardised patchwork of immigration rights and no central register of people
:hmmyes:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Student unions are literally student politics though? THey hold elections and everything?

it's not national politics (though it often IS national politics, at least for the ones the media care about, i.e. oxbridge, maybe st andrews, durham, london ones) but it's still politics.

I guess I meant "politics" in the (dumb) way that Adonis seemed to mean it, as in "paying attention to any issue outside what I, Wise Lord Adonis, believe to be their purview"

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

What do you think the chances of them actually executing a no-knock warrant (or any warrant) on an armed white criminal are?

High. Not that American police aren't enormously racist, but they're generally happy to summarily execute white poors too

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

thespaceinvader posted:

When I was at uni the Student Union meetings were very badly attended (5 or 6 diehards normally). One time (during the Maze dirty protests) the then union president tabled a motion (no pun intended) - usually noone read them - to give the entire funds available to the union to the IRA expecting it to go through on the nod (noone ever called 'quora' until they wanted the meeting over). But one of the student's fathers was then head of the anti-terrorist squad at Scotland Yard and got wind of it. An Emergency Meeting was called and at least a thousand students turned up - the motion was not passed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Is this news to anyone? I thought we all knew Spaffer et al want no-deal brexit?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is this news to anyone? I thought we all knew Spaffer et al want no-deal brexit?

i know someone who voted for brexit who genuinely thinks they're trying to get a trade deal and will surely be disappointed when he learns i was right all along

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The clapping seal at the zoo is not your friend jose.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I wonder how quickly the US riots will go the last big UK ones did.

It does seem one level more everything but then again I am also following them from my own little bubble.

[edit] The footage of so many different police departments going absolutely nuts is helping justify the protests more broadly, I think.

Munin fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 1, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's also the only person who ever gave me an actual reason, even though its a stupid one, for why he voted leave which is that he voted to join the common market but not the rest of it

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

love how the US democratic party decided months back that 2020 would be the year to advocate for moderate return to the previous status quo. the pulse of the nation

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jose posted:

Oh, is that out now? Sweet, got something to watch later.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh, is that out now? Sweet, got something to watch later.

yeah and its a really good adaptation

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Angepain posted:

love how the US democratic party decided months back that 2020 would be the year to advocate for moderate return to the previous status quo. the pulse of the nation

Seriously. Usually I'd be all in on the 'no I know Biden's a fucknozzle but at least he's not Trump go vote you idiots' but honestly, there's so little to choose between the two 'options' in the US system at this point as to be essentially irrelevant even if you even come close to believe Trump will actually leave office if he loses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:siren: June Thread Now Up, Thread Closing Shortly :siren: