Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Problem description: I want to use OBS or Streamlabs OBS to send video to Zoom. I’ve created a scene I want with three cameras (including the problem one, the c930e) in both OBS and SLOBS. The c930e lags regardless of settings. The c930e plus my whole system lags when I create a Zoom meeting—except the other two webcams, which display fine, even though simple typing is lagging.

Attempted fixes:
-downloaded Logitech’s Camera Settings App. Using this to disable auto focus and auto white balance fixed the c930e lagging upon opening OBS or SLOBS. side note, these are re-enabled every system restart

-isolated the camera. deleted all scenes in OBS and SLOBS, created a new scene with only the c930e in each program. Still lagged in both programs

-reduced resolution of c930e from 1080p to 720p while isolated. still lagged

-in OBS, unchecked ‘Use Preset’ and manually selected webcam settings, notably choosing MJPEG as the input format (this was mentioned in several youtube videos as a common fix)

-in SLOBS using a non-preset resolution is impossible as the input format dropdown is greyed out

-updated Zoom

-updated c930e firmware

-had good lighting during all tests (either with lights, or today all testing was done during the day with excellent natural light)

The c930e works fine going directly into Zoom

Recent changes: Not relevant, problem has existed since outset

Other notes: kernel_task, obs64 (a function of SLOBS), zoom.us, and WindowServer cpu usage spiking is causing the system lag. In the test kernel _task got as high as 12xx%

https://i.imgur.com/foXbAOF.jpg

--

Operating system: Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4, 64bit

System specs: MPTT2LL/A
2017 15” Macbook Pro 2 .9GHz Quad-core Core i7 16GB RAM 500GB SSD Radeon Pro 560 4GB

Logitech C930e webcam

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Are you using screen sharing the video on Zoom? If so, there's a setting to reduce FPS. That might help.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

This happens immediately upon creating a zoom meeting. I haven’t tested screen sharing as my system pretty much grinds to a halt if I don’t close one of the two programs pretty quickly

Screen sharing works perfectly in any configuration of programs being open, except if it’s OBS or Streamlabs AND the c930e is in the scene

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 5, 2020

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

update: I was doing some recording earlier and opened obs to check the video feed on my phone since it’s close to the wall and i can’t see the screen, and obs started eating the cpu. cleared up when I removed the c930e from the scene (which wasn’t active at the time—I created a new scene just for the phone). I had reaper64 open for audio recording

seems like it’s something with the c930e only. also I realized I’ve only tested it on the one usb hub, so I’m going to test it on the other one I’m using and also directly into my laptop (with a usb a to c adapter) tomorrow

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

by "tomorrow" I meant "next week" and turns out it was the hub.not sure whats up with that but here we are with the same cameras in the same OBS configuration just with two of them swapped hubs but okay :psyduck: