Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Final Fantasy XII came out for the PS2 in 2006. It takes place in Ivalice, which is also the setting for Final Fantasy Tactics and (sorta kinda) Vagrant Story. It is often described as a single-player MMO due to its real-time combat taking place in open areas, vs. random battles that take you to a separate battle screen. Additionally, its gambit system allows you to program conditional actions on your CPU party members, giving you the ability to automate battles and even get to the point where you don’t touch the controller at all, which is pretty neat.

I’m honestly not the most familiar with the game - I played a fair amount of it around when it came out but never beat it. But I was intrigued when the Japan-exclusive International Zodiac Job System edition of the game was HD-remastered and released for current consoles and the PC a few years back. It introduces a number of features like a redone soundtrack, the ability to fast-forward at 2x or 4x speed both in and out of combat, the ability to choose each character’s job (which is the marquee feature for sure), and a Trial Mode for people who are way better at Final Fantasy than me.

I’m gonna play through it pretty casually, chatting with my buddy chaoslord and maybe some extra guests along the way! I like LP’s that you put on and have a nice time with, like you’re hanging out with some buds, so I aspire to make LP’s like that too. I know it’s a pretty long game, and I’m likely to cut out a lot of the less-interesting parts, but we hope to make at least one video a week so we can keep the train going. If you’re wanting an exhaustive, extremely informative LP of this game that really goes through all the minor details and best strategies, don’t look here! I’m just a guy who enjoys fun epic fantasy stories :)

Videos

Part 1: Tyrannosaurus Reks (YouTube)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I always loved that game and actually 100%ed that thing. I think I watched two separate LPs of it here. Never saw the redone version though. It certainly sounds like the voices are way less compressed and metallic.
But this video seems really jittery. Is that just how the game looked, or was there a problem with the recording? The framerate looks off.

Anyway. Have fun with this. I will be checking in from time to time. Can't wait till this gets you with one of the biggest dick moves in video games.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

cant cook creole bream posted:

I always loved that game and actually 100%ed that thing. I think I watched two separate LPs of it here. Never saw the redone version though. It certainly sounds like the voices are way less compressed and metallic.
But this video seems really jittery. Is that just how the game looked, or was there a problem with the recording? The framerate looks off.

Anyway. Have fun with this. I will be checking in from time to time. Can't wait till this gets you with one of the biggest dick moves in video games.

I had an issue with the framerate in this recording, I didn't notice it until editing. It should be fixed for the rest of the LP.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hey i love this game. And zodiac age (with CLASS CHANGING YEAH) really is the best version of it. And while the voice lines have been cleaned up and denoised, they're still compressed. I dont think SE held on to the uncompressed files. Its really obvious in non important cutscenes.

The differences between the characters are actually quite negligible, with battle/magic lores making up the strength/magick power differences, and equipment being the major source for stat ups. Speed also have a negligible effect compared to the swiftness licenses, and characters dont vary that much in speed for it to matter anyways. But there are two differences, one large and one small: Vitality, which determines how long buffs last and how little debuffs last and their hit rate, there are few equips that increase that and youll either outgrow them in the case of armor, or have something else more useful in the case of accessories. Basch who is most likely to be the tank going by most peoples preferences, has the lowest vitality which means every buff youd want on a tank lasts that much less, meaning more time wasted on refreshing buffs. Theres also differences in how fast characters actually attack, and this isnt charge time for the action, its the animation, which you cant go into your next action without finishing (fun fact balthier is the slowest at guns despite them being ostensibly his 'thing'). However this also doesn't matter unless you are doing challenge runs or are an optimization freak.

At the end of the day: Class, equipment and gambit load-out are much more important. which is why LV1 new game minus is possible to beat.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 5, 2020