Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've been working on a project that requires a lot of audio editing, and I'm constantly switching between headphones and my macbook's speakers depending on the time of day, the amount of ambient noise in my apartment, etc. as well as occasionally using Soundflower to record my computer's internal audio. A constant minor annoyance that I run into is that the Adobe products and Audacity do not automatically switch to headphones as the current audio hardware if I have my headphones plugged in, and don't automatically switch to my speakers when I pull them out. If I plug my headphones into my computer then go to, say, Premiere and start playing a track, it will come out through my speakers if the last time I used the program I didn't have the headphones plugged in. Having to go two-menus deep into Preferences to change the audio hardware every single time is incredibly annoying, especially since every other program on my computer seems to recognize that having my headphones plugged in means that I want to hear the audio through them.

VLC, browser, music players, etc. all respect the audio hardware and never require manual switching, and the System Preferences always have the correct thing selected in "Output." Premiere has "Default Input" and "Default Output" as dropdowns but I can't select "System Default" or whatever as an option. I don't think Soundflower has anything to do with it as it never seems to be a part of the issue, and doing a bit of Googling seems to confirm that as I see other people complaining about the same issue and they don't mention that relatively obscure program, but perhaps worth mentioning that I use that occasionally.

In short: is there any way to get Premiere, Audacity, and other similar programs to automatically switch their outputs to the current system defaults that I see in my system preferences?

e: hosed up the subject line by waffling back and forth between saying "Audio editing" or "Editing" :(

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU