Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

it worked for FFXIV
I think it makes a huge difference that this is an original IP instead of an established franchise trying to go in another direction.

If Amazon Game Studios still intends to release their original IP MMO 'New World' this year (https://www.newworld.com/en-us , 2 months away from it's stated release date), I think it makes more sense to take the lessons learned from Crucible, along with whatever development assets/technology that can be meaningfully transferred, and focus solely on creating their 1st well-received game. They could even be cute about it and call the game's PvP mode 'Crucible' to add more confusion with Destiny (Destiny's PvP mode has been called 'Crucible' for like 7 years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
i feel like the seattle studio cancelling all their games except crucible and seemingly reintegrating elements from them into the one multiplayer game they ended up releasing killed this game, if they actually relocate people to orange county to try and shoehorn more poo poo into games that don't need it amazon is by far the most incompetent game publisher of all time

also yeah this game needs a ffxiv resurrection to live, which considering what saved it was being given to an entirely different project lead and 99% of everything being scrapped, i don't think an incremental process through a closed beta will work. just shut down the servers until at least 2021 and plug away at it with periodic updates, because getting feedback from the handful of sycophants who stick around won't be objective and will only serve for them to craft the perfect game for all 250 of them. at least with completely restructuring a third-person shooter, you can keep a bit more of the content and there's no story or quests to remake

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The FF14 thing bothers me because a lot of people use that as "look it can be done!" which is fine, sure, have that hope.

But it's a string of circumstances that I think will rarely pay off again for another developer. FF14's failure was so strong that Square brought in another lead entirely, and when he recommended starting over he specifically said "you need to give me full control to do things the way I see fit with no questions asked" and Square, during a time where they weren't doing so hot in the public eye, basically gave the keys to Yoshi who then worked his rear end off where he almost died of exhaustion (No Clip Doc interview)

That was lightning in a bottle, and sure you can capture it again but how likely is it? Especially for a western dev? Bioware is hoping they can do it with Anthem, and now Amazon with Crucible, but I don't see a creative director/lead/publisher giving up that control.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think it's hard to overstate what a rare and precious jewel Yoshida-san is in the corporate video game world: a director with a bold, clear vision who can actually project manage competently. You need someone like that at the helm to have a real chance in hell of turning around a failed project, and his aforementioned rarity is why I suspect this and other, similar reboots (like the Anthem one) will not find the success they're looking for.

With vanishingly few exceptions, you only get one shot when it comes to online multiplayer games. Some of the industry titans have enough name recognition behind them to make the bitter pill of an unfinished game more easily swallowed, but if you don't have that, you really need to nail it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Keep flame lady!

Honestly excited to see what it returns as.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I think it needs to come back as a different game altogether. Feels like Amazon are trying to ram home a "sort of Moba meets sort of Fortnite/Apex" and it just doesn't feel like there's desire for it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I think that putting the game back into beta at least means that the studio recognizes there is a problem, which isn't the entire battle but is at least a good start. Good luck.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I enjoyed it a bit but it was definitely lacking a lot of the polish that the other shooters I play have. I think it'll be good for the game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Its really a design philosophy thats missing I think. If a game director had a really good vision of where to go with it all the bones are there but as it stands the game just felt... bland? Like an ad for an engine and assets or something?

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Hi, your local goon Crucible developer here. It's not under the circumstances I would have liked but I'm glad to see generally positive reaction to the recent news going back into beta. There's a lot of skepticism, which is understandable. We've published our roadmap, which is a subset of things we think we need to do to get back to launch, and it is almost entirely things the players have told us we need. Like Colin said in the recent announcement, we'll know that we're back at launch based on feedback from our public community (as opposed to a small group of 250), and because our metrics show we're ready.

Flame lady (Summer is her name) isn't going anywhere, which is good because she's my favorite.

In the meantime if you want to have free access to play the game you should sign in now, and I mean like now, because once they flip the switch soon it will be much harder to play if you haven't already logged in.

I'm on the team that's updating the design of the main mode (Heart of the Hives) to make it more accessible and understandable, especially to new players. Happy to answer any questions.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Amazon Games needs to fire their leadership and get people that know what they're doing. I imagine its just a backstabbing political poo poo show of golden tongue has beens and losers all pulling high 6 figure salaries.

The only way to get past that is to fire them and that'll never happen judging what they're releasing and telling Vino.

Syrupy positivity can't will things to get done if there's nothing of substance backing it.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
vino’s the best thing about the game tbh

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
blush

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-03-amazon-and-google-are-in-games-for-the-wrong-reasons-opinion

pretty much my thoughts, the rationale of amazon games is to be vertically integrated into the rest of their businesses. but just because twitch is going well doesnt mean it will automatically succeed in game dev

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.playcrucible.com/en-us/news/articles/final-crucible-developer-update

rip. sorry goon

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This has to be some kind of record.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's a predictable outcome, but I still always hate seeing the work of hundreds get flushed down the can like this. I just don't think it differentiated itself enough in aesthetics or gameplay to grab and sustain peoples' attention, and that sort of thing is fatal when it comes to an already overcrowded multiplayer market. Games like Fall Guys and Among Us have shown pretty convincingly that you don't need huge budgets to make a breakout hit, but you do need to stand out in a way that will convince people of your product's novelty.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Among Us came out two years ago and nobody cared until what three months ago?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Len posted:

Nobody english speaking. It was reasonably popular in south america and parts of asia or something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

hobbesmaster posted:

Nobody english speaking. It was reasonably popular in south america and parts of asia or something.

Not on steam it wasn't

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Len posted:

Not on steam it wasn't

Right, it existed for most of 2018 as a mobile only game. I think June 2019 is when it started getting a little bit of popularity in spanish language youtube?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

hobbesmaster posted:

Right, it existed for most of 2018 as a mobile only game. I think June 2019 is when it started getting a little bit of popularity in spanish language youtube?

So it dropped on steam in November 2018 and went until July 2020 with almost no audience. I'm still not sure how that's a good example of a game that succeeded with minimal graphics

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Len posted:

I'm not sure how this is related to my point, exactly. It was poorly marketed, but the fact that it exploded after exposure on Twitch is down to its core concept and presentation being novel enough for people to want to pick it up and play it themselves.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vermain posted:

I'm not sure how this is related to my point, exactly. It was poorly marketed, but the fact that it exploded after exposure on Twitch is down to its core concept and presentation being novel enough for people to want to pick it up and play it themselves.

My point is that it barely had enough players to justify keeping the servers up and that if it wasn't for people being trapped inside the Mafia clone wouldn't have exploded like it did

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

dang. rip to my boy Drakahl your axe was too cool for school

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
rip whoever was in charge lost some internal political battle within amazon

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also the among us comparison isnt fair to among us, because that game, despite its slow start, has a very tight and well defined gameplay loop. its a simplified werewolf/mafia that always gives the townsfolk something to do, something to fiddle with, even as their world falls apart

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Rip. Thanks to folks in this thread for not being toxic about it.

Phobophilia posted:

rip whoever was in charge lost some internal political battle within amazon

First thing I learned when I started developing games with big studios was that no matter how obvious it looks from the outside you can never tell what's going on in a studio from the outside and all of your guesses will be wrong.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I guess that's what happens when the only thing that attracts talent is money. You end up with slimey trash leadership who's only goal is to stay entrenched. I really feel for the developers because I can't imagine all the stupid poo poo they had to deal with.

I know there's a running joke about having 'passion' and empathy in games but you really need it in the higher levels. Otherwise you just end up with garbage.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

This is I assume because Jeff wants Amazon's first fully released game to be a genre-defining masterpiece. Crucible had too far to go to achieve that, and I guess New World they still have faith can reinvent MMOs but, well, that's a lotta faith.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
No, Jeff doesn't think like that. Jeff was a supporter and there's a very nearby parallel world where Crucible could have kept going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm not a big PVP shooter guy, but I feel bad for the Crucible team. It's hard to launch an online game under ideal circumstances, let alone while you're simultaneously trying to figure out your pandemic-era WFH situation.