Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Fedule posted:

I'm so glad that not only was this done but it was also done in the complete opposite fashion to the one in which I did VLR.

Well yeah, DKII didn't space it out over five years. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Thanks for this :) I was real excited to see someone attempt ZTD again after someone tried a year or two back and then abandoned it. The had the same thread title and everything, if I remember correctly

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
You will be missed, thread.

Mira getting scot-free via Sean jailbreak sure is something. As is Delta giving his gamemaster impression until the very end. Life is simply unfair. Don't you think?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The other other aspect of the ending I don't like is that Mira's role is never expounded on. When did Zero contact her? How did he coerce her into helping with his silly death cage experiment? She's so 'important' to the mechanics of the game but we have no motivation for her other than wanting Eric's heart, she's like a MacGuffin or the Transporter; she's just there to move the plot along and is barely a character of her own.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Really appreciate the thread, was a great ride.

Now that we've seen everything, I'm wondering: Did any of the people voting/discussing where to go next actually have experience with the game and were trying to guide us? Seems like we saw a lot of stuff in very reasonable order and I'm wondering if that was (a) pure luck, (b) secret guidance, or (c) each path has enough interesting stuff that you get the same feeling no matter how you plan it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I played this game long ago enough that I don't remember most of the finer details and events so I didn't vote very much. The few times I did vote because I didn't remember anything about that bit of the game it turns out everyone else had the same idea too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The other other aspect of the ending I don't like is that Mira's role is never expounded on. When did Zero contact her? How did he coerce her into helping with his silly death cage experiment? She's so 'important' to the mechanics of the game but we have no motivation for her other than wanting Eric's heart, she's like a MacGuffin or the Transporter; she's just there to move the plot along and is barely a character of her own.

Also she supposedly has actual emotions now and like... isn't a sociopath and feels regret? But I don't know why. What did Mira go through that caused that?

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

MagusofStars posted:

Now that we've seen everything, I'm wondering: Did any of the people voting/discussing where to go next actually have experience with the game and were trying to guide us? Seems like we saw a lot of stuff in very reasonable order and I'm wondering if that was (a) pure luck, (b) secret guidance, or (c) each path has enough interesting stuff that you get the same feeling no matter how you plan it.

A little bit of everything, I think. One of the benefits of anonymous off-site voting is letting those who'd played the game participate in the votes without having to post in the thread and avoid feeling like they were spoiling anything with their votes.

Of course, me not wanting to tabulate a 17-way poll using posts is the main reason I did that. ;)

You could say...my motives were complex.

PS: Thanks for the gold rating, everyone.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

DKII posted:

:hmmyes:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DKII posted:

:golfclap:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Apparently someone made a parody game called Zero Snail Dilemma. It's not publically available, sadly, but the stream of it is available.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MagusofStars posted:

Really appreciate the thread, was a great ride.

I'd played the game before and didn't vote too often, cause I didn't want to guide things down any set order. Except I was kind of hoping we could actually put off chainsaw Akane or the Mira reveal till later, just to see something different than the usual.

I think it doesn't matter though what order you do things in, cause each one leaves you with a different "oh poo poo" feeling from whichever big event drops first, until it all comes together into the same endgame twists.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Onmi posted:

Also she supposedly has actual emotions now and like... isn't a sociopath and feels regret? But I don't know why. What did Mira go through that caused that?

My guess would be they were probably going for something like her inability to feel any emotions being caused by "a bad connection" between her body and the morphogenetic field, and when she SHIFTed with everyone else it fixed the connection. Like how part of Ace's stated motivation in 999 was hoping that the morphogenetic field could cure his face blindness.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Gruckles posted:

My guess would be they were probably going for something like her inability to feel any emotions being caused by "a bad connection" between her body and the morphogenetic field, and when she SHIFTed with everyone else it fixed the connection. Like how part of Ace's stated motivation in 999 was hoping that the morphogenetic field could cure his face blindness.

I feel like the simplest explanation would probably be she went on some kind of medication when she went to prison. Which means your theory is probably the correct one.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You'd think Akane would have put two and two together at some point and be mad that this woman in front of her is responsible for her life being a horrible sequence of events that lead to multiple incarnations of her dying.

Or that she had the audacity to hurt Junpei in some universe.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

ApplesandOranges posted:

You'd think Akane would have put two and two together at some point and be mad that this woman in front of her is responsible for her life being a horrible sequence of events that lead to multiple incarnations of her dying.

You don't know that Mira won't wake up in a new death game when Akane gets bored. :v:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Onmi posted:

He did, technically, remove any reason for these guys to stay behind, by killing Gab (Who can't shift) and himself. Not that anyone is going to hesitate because of Delta.

Who said dogs can’t SHIFT

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Whose dog is it anyway. Delta’s?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

goblin week posted:

Whose dog is it anyway. Delta’s?

Gab was, at least supposedly, the helper/medicine carrier for 'Q', the blind and deaf old man. Of course, he's actually just there to eat cheese, sleep in vents and carry things for the three teams.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Everyone ignoring Mira altogether and Delta's whereabouts in the True Ending up until Delta rolls up with the shotgun is the most jarring thing.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Everyone ignoring Mira altogether and Delta's whereabouts in the True Ending up until Delta rolls up with the shotgun is the most jarring thing.

Like I said before, I’d love to know whether we’re seeing a compromised vision or just like, S-Tier Incompetence.

There are so many baffling choices here, and while the Zero Escape series isn’t known for its thoughtful realism, VLR and 999 hang together—both of those games have some very silly plot issues, but none that stuck out so bad that it took me out of the story. It just feels like there’s an entire plot arc that got cut from Q-Team, at the very least.

I don’t really mind, because the ride is so much fun and it’s not trying to be Citizen Kane or anything, but VLR manages to be a fun mess of sci-fi twists without feeling so shoddy. And that’s to say nothing of the inconsistent characterization or the lack of interest in following up on the energy of VLR with D-Team.

On the other hand, I probably say “It’s useless, you were born a shitter” and “my motives are...complex” a lot more often than anything I ever heard in 999 or VLR, so maybe this is the real masterpiece.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

rko posted:

There are so many baffling choices here, and while the Zero Escape series isn’t known for its thoughtful realism, VLR and 999 hang together—both of those games have some very silly plot issues, but none that stuck out so bad that it took me out of the story.

There is someone I know that had their disbelief not just suspended but violently expelled when they learned about the moon twist in VLR - I don’t recall the whole story accurately but they’d been following Fedule’s LP thread, someone brought up “are we on the moon” with no reasoning or context, many of the other posters latched on to the theory, but it didn’t make sense to them at all. And when it turned out to be correct...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

AweStriker posted:

There is someone I know that had their disbelief not just suspended but violently expelled when they learned about the moon twist in VLR - I don’t recall the whole story accurately but they’d been following Fedule’s LP thread, someone brought up “are we on the moon” with no reasoning or context, many of the other posters latched on to the theory, but it didn’t make sense to them at all. And when it turned out to be correct...

They got the answer from the morphogenetic field. Stands to reason. :v:

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I am lucky to not understand lunar physics enough to be bothered by the incredibly powerful “we gave you all radical-6 to supercharge your time traveling abilities but you’re on the moon so you couldn’t notice” twist.

If I have one real disappointment about ZTD, it’s that it never really reached the sublime levels that the twists in the first games got to. There are VNs with better mysteries (Umineko!) and VNs with more grounded sci-fi (Steins;Gate?) but nothing really matches Uchikoshi at his best.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

rko posted:

If I have one real disappointment about ZTD, it’s that it never really reached the sublime levels that the twists in the first games got to. There are VNs with better mysteries (Umineko!) and VNs with more grounded sci-fi (Steins;Gate?) but nothing really matches Uchikoshi at his best.

"The answer to that is easy. He knew because I knew" is the type of once-in-a-lifetime :master: you can't really replicate, akin to "I am your father" or the ending to Sixth Sense and stuff like that, so it doesn't bother me that this game didn't really live up to that kind of :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: moment.

I think the real issue I have with this game is that the payoff doesn't really live up to the buildup. That's probably unfair given all the obstacles that nearly prevented this game from ever being made but it's still definitely more of a 'journey' rather than 'destination' kind of experience.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Super Jay Mann posted:

"The answer to that is easy. He knew because I knew" is the type of once-in-a-lifetime :master: you can't really replicate, akin to "I am your father" or the ending to Sixth Sense and stuff like that, so it doesn't bother me that this game didn't really live up to that kind of :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: moment.

I think the real issue I have with this game is that the payoff doesn't really live up to the buildup. That's probably unfair given all the obstacles that nearly prevented this game from ever being made but it's still definitely more of a 'journey' rather than 'destination' kind of experience.

It's such a shame that the phone/PC version couldn't keep "the two screens of your DS start talking to each other" factor.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Bruceski posted:

It's such a shame that the phone/PC version couldn't keep "the two screens of your DS start talking to each other" factor.

Yeah, but it did have some excellent voice acting so I still enjoy the PC version.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I was going to say that this was the game where Uchikoshi flew a bit too close to the sun, but it's possible that the rough development of the game made it less than what it could have been. Even though I always end up souring on the experience near the end, I keep coming back every year or so to play through again. Now to catch up on the Somnium Files thread.

Bifauxnen posted:

I'd played the game before and didn't vote too often, cause I didn't want to guide things down any set order. Except I was kind of hoping we could actually put off chainsaw Akane or the Mira reveal till later, just to see something different than the usual.

I think it doesn't matter though what order you do things in, cause each one leaves you with a different "oh poo poo" feeling from whichever big event drops first, until it all comes together into the same endgame twists.

I've seen several playthroughs of this game, including three of my own, and this is the only one where we got the Sean robot reveal after the scene where another Sean attacks Carlos. Every other playthrough got all the executions over with much sooner.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
In hindsight, ZTD doesn't have a final puzzle room either, does it? Though, I think someone did mention that QCD was originally intended to be it. Maybe the Force Quit box scenario was originally a three part puzzle room.

On a different note, I remember hearing that each team had a different writer attached to them, with Uchikoshi writing D-Team specifically. I'm taking that with a grain of salt, but I was curious if anyone else ever heard anything along those lines.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

In hindsight, ZTD doesn't have a final puzzle room either, does it? Though, I think someone did mention that QCD was originally intended to be it. Maybe the Force Quit box scenario was originally a three part puzzle room.

On a different note, I remember hearing that each team had a different writer attached to them, with Uchikoshi writing D-Team specifically. I'm taking that with a grain of salt, but I was curious if anyone else ever heard anything along those lines.

Yeah, ZTD lacks both an introductory and a final puzzle room, but in addition to that Q Team also has two less escape rooms than the other two teams (but only one room less), while there's enough unused stuff to imply that QCD was intended to be some kind of escape room at one point.

As far as I know, that was deconfirmed somewhere down the line; it was people seeing the game had three writers and assuming they all wrote a different team, despite both 999 and VLR also having multiple writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Well, we're archived. Thanks for coming with me on this journey everyone!