Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That's because the Matrix version is garbage. :v:

Also who fights random encounters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Geomancer is good actually.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

That's because the Matrix version is garbage. :v:

Also who fights random encounters?

Where else do you get your Hermes Sandals funds? Grinding?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ace Transmuter posted:

Selling all the accumulated poo poo from worlds 1/2 that I don't need anymore, supplemented by the money from objet grinding if it's needed.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ace Transmuter posted:

Quicksave your way up Phoenix Tower :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Poque posted:

The only thing Geomancer is good for is as an Equip Axes chassis for the Gaia Hammer. :colbert:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

W.T. Fits posted:

The only thing Geomancer is good for is as an Equip Axes chassis for the Gaia Hammer. :colbert:

They're also good as a !Throw chassis for all the scrolls your actual ninja sucks balls at using. Not as good as a summoner or black mage (at least until Rune Chime, which is well after scrolls have lost their oomph), but unlike a summoner or black mage, they don't have Better, MP-Using Things they could be doing with their turns.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

They're also good as a !Throw chassis for all the scrolls your actual ninja sucks balls at using. Not as good as a summoner or black mage (at least until Rune Chime, which is well after scrolls have lost their oomph), but unlike a summoner or black mage, they don't have Better, MP-Using Things they could be doing with their turns.

Technically for AoE damage, Black Mages never have anything that beats a thrown scroll, because the 185 power -aga spells get halved when multi-targeted to 92, which is less than the unmodified base of 120 for scrolls.

Summoner's first spell that beats a scroll is the all-powerful Syldra. :v:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

Technically for AoE damage, Black Mages never have anything that beats a thrown scroll, because the 185 power -aga spells get halved when multi-targeted to 92, which is less than the unmodified base of 120 for scrolls.

Is it the M that gets cut in half, or the power?

Also, Geos (especially with a magic skill backing them up) have some pretty great crowd clearers. Earthquake is common enough in several regions and my Geo with Gaia Gear was nearing 2k per enemy with it. Wind Slash isn't too far behind once Air Knives become available, and you can pull that basically everywhere. I'm in W2 Exdeath Castle and the only bosses I haven't been able to beat with !Gaia spam were Sandworm, Soul Cannon, the final phase of Clapperclaw, and the Crystals. !Summons will of course take over once Syldra-spam comes online, but that's still not bad.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ace Transmuter posted:

Is it the M that gets cut in half, or the power?

Power.

code:
ATTACK TYPE (HEX: 06) (Magic Attacks, Light Staff, Staff of Judgement)
1) Aegis Shield Check (6.3.2)
2) Use Magic Damage Parameters (6.4.1): 
   Attack = Spell Attack + (0..(Spell Attack/8))
   M = (Level*Magic Power)/256 + 4
   Defense = Magic Defense
3) Apply Multitargetting modifiers to Attack (6.5.1).
4) Apply Target Status Effect modifiers to Defense and M (magical) (6.5.10).
5) Apply Magic Element Up modifier to Attack (6.5.14).
6) Apply Attack Element modifiers to Attack and Defense (6.5.16).
7) Damage = (Attack - Defense) * M.  Max Damage = 9999.

6.5.1) MULTITARGETTING MODIFIERS TO ATTACK

If targetting multiple Targets, Attack = Attack / 2
Spells that automatically target all targets do not suffer this penalty;
the exception are Rods that are used as Items; they DO suffer this penalty,
even the ones that automatically target all targets.
A rod-boosted multi-target Firaga is 185 / 2 = 92 + (92 / 2) = 92 + 46 = 138 final power
A rod-boosted Flame Scroll is 120 + (120 / 2) = 120 + 60 = 180 final power

(technically there's random skew as high as attack/8, but even with max skew for firaga and zero bonus skew for the flame scroll, it's 156 power vs 180 for the scroll)

(scrolls are really loving good if you have a magic score)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Like I always say, the only real problem with a Geomancer is that you could've had a Bard.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ultrafilter posted:

Like I always say, the only real problem with a Geomancer is that you could've had a Bard.

I mean, you could say that about any non-Chemist job in non-standard formats

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alxprit posted:

Quicksave your way up Phoenix Tower :v:
Unironically, if I have to grind random encounters for money, my preferred location is just inside Phoenix Tower with a Thief's Knife on someone

of course if I have to grind random encounters for money my team is like BER/BER/BER/KGT and the poor Knight is just an Elixir bot and I just need more elixirs :retrogames:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I feel like the Phoenix Tower enemies get kind of overblown, honestly. Like sure, they've got a bunch of annoying status stuff, but by that point most parties either have enough firepower to burn them down before they get to do much or don't really have any business being in the tower in the first place. They're also surprisingly susceptible to status themselves (everything in there can be toaded, for instance).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Poque posted:

:yeah:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Unironically, if I have to grind random encounters for money, my preferred location is just inside Phoenix Tower with a Thief's Knife on someone

of course if I have to grind random encounters for money my team is like BER/BER/BER/KGT and the poor Knight is just an Elixir bot and I just need more elixirs :retrogames:

You do know you could just grind the elixirs in the first place, right?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I've never actually run out of elixirs because the start of the game has them drop from the Ship Graveyard and even the Wind Shrine. Tbh I also use them very sparingly until the last few fights but, FF5 is a kind game.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Shield Dragons can gently caress off and die, IMHO

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Geomancer has access to the Rune Bell, what else do they need?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Man with Hat posted:

You do know you could just grind the elixirs in the first place, right?
But that's a big walk into and out of the Void if I have more to do later!

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Got the no Esuna and only Titan/Ifrit clauses done! And killed Shinryu for fun. Pretty slow run, but fun for novelty!

E: Forgot to get a Holy picture. Whoops! Got that sorted out.

Galick fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 6, 2021

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Finished tonight as well. It was a slow start but I blew through basically everything else. Melusine Barrier Changed before I could finish nuking her with Fire Rods, and Bahamut caught me once out of hubris and bad !Dance luck, but the run was a very fun, swift breeze overall. !Gaia took care of 90% of random encounters and !Summon handled most of the rest. Most of the Cleft bosses didn't even get a chance to attack. Twintania went down before charging; I took 0 damage from Necrophobe. NED got only a single Almagest off, which Shell helped me survive; and a single wimpy Grand Cross (mini Krile was it) before going down. Didn't eat a single Meteor from either phase. It ended up being sub-20 hours total, which is pretty fast for me.

Also, how do people not main White Mage with Krile? :colbert:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I normally do, or Kittyzerker, but I was just kind of in a rush to get this one finished up and that's what I had them as when they mastered their jobs :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I misread "no esuna, get holy" as "no spells but holy" and went with it anyway, while combining it with only mandatory summons.

I wanted to combine that with the kill shot but I had one piece left and had to close it out asap.

I also got Shinryu, which wasn't that difficult once I got used to how loving fast he is.

I can probably get Omega too, don't really feel like rolling the dice on that yet.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
White Mage is a close to a free Shinryu as Bard is a free Omega. Even moreso, with Summoner backup.

TheWonderTrickster
Aug 16, 2013
Ah but that isn't a White Mage- that's a just a Holy/Ifrit/Titan bot

I mean unless you're also counting using lamp and Wonder Rod to mitigate berserk as a free win for Shinryu with that robot in which case egg on my face
edit: or Mirage Vest bug

TheWonderTrickster fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 7, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1358460247078293506

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

TheWonderTrickster posted:

Ah but that isn't a White Mage- that's a just a Holy/Ifrit/Titan bot

I mean unless you're also counting using lamp and Wonder Rod to mitigate berserk as a free win for Shinryu with that robot in which case egg on my face
edit: or Mirage Vest bug

I was thinking Power Staff, but yeah, more or less.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Seriously though, the toughest time I had was with a Shield Dragon the game just wouldn't let me run away from, when I hadn't even gotten a chance to power up the Chicken Kni....

Son of a bitch!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I wasn't done.

I broke the ifrit/titan/holy rule for Curaga and Shell, because I had beaten the game with it, and Omega would've taken like 5000 attempts without Shell blocking every single Encircle and Curaga recovering from Wave Cannon.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Pre-reg for 2021 started early: http://fourjobfiesta.com/

Figure there'll be a new thread up soon.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Pre-reg for 2021 started early: http://fourjobfiesta.com/

Figure there'll be a new thread up soon.

It's been up since the 16th.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Should check the main forum more often :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Cheers, I should've put that in the OP and closed this thread.

Speaking of which, go to the 2021 thread because I'm closing this one. :v: