Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
Problem Description: So I buy this 1tb Sabrent Rocket Q for cheap off newegg, I install it, it's been a few weeks and it was working great. I was using this as my boot device.

Anyway, tonight I get the bright idea to switch it over to a m.2 to pcie x16 adapter I have lying around (my mobo is a z97 so the m.2 slot is only 2x, thought I'd try for the full 4x), switch it back over to the original m.2 slot after booting successfully with the adapter and realizing it really doesn't matter speedwise at all, and suddenly, Windows isn't booting and it's showing up as a generic "NVMe SSD" in the bios where previously it identified itself as "Sabrent Rocket Q."

Attempted fixes: Did some google-fu and the most common suggestion was to play around with CSM in the bios to see if it'd suddenly recognize the boot manager (it didn't).

After that I downloaded a utility called boot-repair-disk and tried an auto-repair - that didn't work either. One thing boot-repair-disk did clue me in on though is that the drive is still being recognized, just only with a capacity of 2.1mb. After some more google-fu, I've come to the conclusion that this could either be a host protected area or simply the remaining buffer because the drive is dead.

Currently as I'm posting this I'm creating a new Win10 boot usb, however I fear the worst for my poor SSD.

Recent changes: Nothing but a 1080 I installed a few weeks back.

--

Operating system: Win 10 Pro 64-bit

System specs:
Mobo: Asus Z97-A USB 3.1
CPU: i5 4690k
SSD: 1tb Sabrent Rocket Q 2280

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmaniac
Jul 10, 2010
If the drive died it should be replaceable under warranty.
ASUS motherboards have a secure erase feature on them which would instruct the SSD to clear/reset itself. When you do this, the nvme will not be available as a bootable device (in the boot priority section of your bios) but should be visible in the hardware information section and through the windows installer. If it isn't, I would RMA.

evilmaniac fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 31, 2020