Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's been over 20 years since SEGA released the Dreamcast, a console so cool that it failed spectacularly and almost sunk the company forever.

But now, in 2020, after years of top-secret R&D, the scientists at SEGA have finally revealed what they've been working on for all this time.

That's right - SEGA is re-entering the hardware space!

Here it is - the Game Gear Micro:

Yes, that's right. That is a 1.15in color screen you see there. It's 2020 now - SEGA has pulled out all the stops!

But wait! They're not only making one of these incredible machines - they're making four!

Each Game Gear Micro comes preinstalled with FOUR whole games. So, if you want to play all sixteen of the incredible games they're bringing to you, you'll need to buy all four.

You might be thinking that this seems a bit...ungenerous of SEGA. But you would, of course, be wrong. Look at the size of these little beauties! It's a technological marvel they even managed to squeeze four games into that svelte little chassis!

Now, you might also be thinking to yourself, "But SEGA! I don't even own an electron microscope! How am I going to be able to actually play my games!

Have no fear, loyal SEGA fan!

If you pre-order all four colours, SEGA will let you also buy this:

The Game Gear Micro will be around $50 each - so, for just $200, you can play sixteen Game Gear games in glorious color on a 1 inch screen. Truly, the gaming announcement of 2020.

Amazing. Thank you SEGA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

But where am I supposed to fit 6 AA batteries in this thing?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Do the tiny mega drives not count as SEGA returning to the hardware space?

That big window is super dumb and I absolutely love it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
lol i had to google to see if this was real

gamin on a postage stamp yea buddy, maybe sega recently expanded into eyeglasses?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
It's cool but man a 1" screen is stupid as poo poo. I bet someone is gonna mod a real gamegear with these internals.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This is real, what the gently caress

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
So, who's the target audience for this thing?

Who is super excited to play a game while looking through a microscope? Old school SEGA fans who somehow can see the tiny-rear end screen in front of their face?

I'm so confused, man. Somebody explain this poo poo to me.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

PurplieNurplie posted:

So, who's the target audience for this thing?

Hardcore (Japanese) Sega fans who like collecting things. They're only being sold online via Amazon, and I doubt they're getting released in any other region. That they happen to play games seems to be secondary to being a weird collectible.

Heran Bago posted:

That big window is super dumb and I absolutely love it.

Turns out it was a real Game Gear accessory, called the BIG WINDOW in Japan, and called the Wide Gear elsewhere.

https://segaretro.org/Wide_Gear

I've never seen the Wide Gear so the BIG WINDOW was funny enough for me to dig around and see if it was a real thing.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Not going to lie if they were like, $20 I’d pick one up as a novelty. I paid less than $50 for my mini genesis.