Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

From what I understand, it's meant to work either way.

I don't think Kubrick minded the helicopter shadows; I think he figured it was common enough to see occasional helicopters flying around scenic areas that seeing a helicopter shadow wasn't movie-breaking.

I'm just talking out my rear end though, so...

The movie was framed in mind for 1.66:1 with a 1.33:1 version intended for television, there's behind the scenes stuff showing storyboards and the like accounting for both. In this case I would guess either way is intended but that Kubrick would probably preference the version made for watching in a cinema now that TVs are widescreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i like it when movies deliberately change aspect ratio for psychological effect. some real A-grade simulacrum poo poo right there

Hell yeah Mindstorm with Christopher Walken is 4:3 when in the real world, but 16:9 when they're using the Mind Helmet