Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Baller Time posted:

I just set the DM narrator volume to 0 for the bad ones, which also silences those orbs

gently caress, I wish I had known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Lorem ipsum posted:

Make sure you play the Sharn Syndicate quests!

Done, enjoying the new inventory space from getting enough favor from the Coin Lords. The only named item I picked up was the Nicked Orb from the quest end, was there another item that I absolutely should get from the quest line?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

logger posted:

Done, enjoying the new inventory space from getting enough favor from the Coin Lords. The only named item I picked up was the Nicked Orb from the quest end, was there another item that I absolutely should get from the quest line?

Nah, I mean there are good weapons for most classes but honestly I just like the quests in that chain.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
New update dropped on the test server: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/517548-U47-Preview-2-8-26-8-28

Adds Shifters, along with a new iconic and a new enhancement tree. Finally, a way to get Cha to hit/damage without being a PDK

quote:

Illusory Weaponry You have studied Illusion to the point where you can craft more permanent manifestations of Shadow. This grants both the ability to conjure physical Shadowblades to wield as weapons as well as the ability to enchant your current weapons to be more powerful. Shadowblades are Shortswords made of force and may use your Charisma modifier for their attack and damage. As you level up, they will become more powerful. If you unequip your Shadowblades, they will dissapate into nothingness and must be summoned again. Enchanting your weapons to become Shadowblades will change their material type to Force and grant them additional bonuses. This is considered an Item Enchantment.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I am loving this so far , the graphics are some what :ahem: simple, but gameplay is great especially not constantly running back and forwards.

One thing I can't work out is if you have a rogue companion, how do you get him to disarm traps? Or is it just doors they can open.

Talking of companions, getting a healer and a rogue and doing dungeons on hard mode when you first start out is just cheating :haw:

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Not sure - did you try selecting the trapbox and telling the hiring to use it?

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
You probably need to have the rogue search for the trap box first, then use the interact button on the trap box once they find it.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Burt posted:

I am loving this so far , the graphics are some what :ahem: simple, but gameplay is great especially not constantly running back and forwards.

One thing I can't work out is if you have a rogue companion, how do you get him to disarm traps? Or is it just doors they can open.

Talking of companions, getting a healer and a rogue and doing dungeons on hard mode when you first start out is just cheating :haw:

I am loving that getting a VIP account lets me skip strait away to Elite level difficulty, the patron favor I am getting has me almost getting a Drow unlocked while still level 7.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I kind of want to play this but I feel like I absolutely have to do a warforged artificer. Is that worth buying?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I kind of want to play this but I feel like I absolutely have to do a warforged artificer. Is that worth buying?

This was my first real character on hc season 1. They’re great for solo because they can dps + trap + self-heal. However you could probably get by the same with a rogue mechanic and a cleric hireling.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

milkman dad posted:

This was my first real character on hc season 1. They’re great for solo because they can dps + trap + self-heal. However you could probably get by the same with a rogue mechanic and a cleric hireling.

Yeah but then I'm not a robot with a gun arm

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

milkman dad posted:

I play rogue + healbot on normal servers and while it's fine for most content, rogues are more suited for support in a proper group. Bluff and Uncanny Dodge help but those only go so far.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

I play rogue + healbot on normal servers and while it's fine for most content, rogues are more suited for support in a proper group. Bluff and Uncanny Dodge help but those only go so far.

ok the real answer is pale trapper as a substitute for artificer probably

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I'd make a dwarf warrior with a repeating crossbow first as f2p and if you like that, sure its worth buying.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Lorem ipsum posted:

New update dropped on the test server: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/517548-U47-Preview-2-8-26-8-28

Adds Shifters, along with a new iconic and a new enhancement tree. Finally, a way to get Cha to hit/damage without being a PDK

gently caress that, handwrap barbarians are now a thing

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
The claw animation looks sick too

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Quick question, but how do you travel long distances? For example I see high level peeps in the Keep on the Whatever but I have no idea how they got there. Also can you ever go back to the starter Island once you have left?

I have played WoW a lot so there not being flight paths, airships, hearthstones, portals etc is confusing me.

Still very much enjoying this game but I admit I am probably having as much fun in the character creater than the actual game so far! That will change as I bought the horsey expansion though.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Burt posted:

Quick question, but how do you travel long distances? For example I see high level peeps in the Keep on the Whatever but I have no idea how they got there. Also can you ever go back to the starter Island once you have left?

I have played WoW a lot so there not being flight paths, airships, hearthstones, portals etc is confusing me.

Still very much enjoying this game but I admit I am probably having as much fun in the character creater than the actual game so far! That will change as I bought the horsey expansion though.

You can return to Korthos. When you leave from the dock, it will put you in the harbour. Just turn around and talk to the guy behind you and you can go back. Here are the connections between important zones:

Korthos -> Harbour
Harbour -> Marketplace
Harbour -> Gatekeeper's Grove

Marketplace -> All "House" zones
Marketplace -> The Twelve

The DDO wiki is a really good resource for quests and how to get to them. You can also hit "P" ingame and you can sort quests by level and see what zone they are in. I'd suggest doing the Harbour and Gatekeeper's grove zones after korthos.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
Also you can use a guild airship to teleport around. The airship is accessed by the airship spire located in many city zones (a green anchor icon on the map). There should be a transport NPC at the helm of the airship that will have a list of locations they can send you to.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ghosts! posted:

Also you can use a guild airship to teleport around. The airship is accessed by the airship spire located in many city zones (a green anchor icon on the map). There should be a transport NPC at the helm of the airship that will have a list of locations they can send you to.

There are also the wizard privilege spells, Teleport and Greater Teleport. The Marketplace also has an handy teleporter.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ghosts! posted:

Nice thing with making a guild here is you don't need to gather X amount of people to make a guild. I made a guild that's just me and my fiance, and with just casual play we're earning a steady amount of guild XP to've unlocked some decent QoL rewards.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch
i don't believe there is a way to edit the title is there? do i need to create a new thread since the title is misleading now that the code is expired?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

ThePotatoMasher posted:

i don't believe there is a way to edit the title is there? do i need to create a new thread since the title is misleading now that the code is expired?

you have to contact a mod and ask them to change it for you

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

This is going to sound a stupid question but why do I struggle to target stuff close to me and at max distance?

Also when I target something do I need to keep hitting "attack" every time my cursor drops off them?

This seems so simple but I can handle like one or two mobs with no problems but as soon as I get a bunch I can't seem to reliably keep shooting something until it's dead, I constantly change target.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Are you tab targeting or mouse aiming? I think if you don't lock something, the targeting just defaults to closest? Not sure.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I am now tab targeting. I thought I was before but obviously not. I now just need to work out why half of my abilities don't fire when I press the key, is there a standard global cooldown for instant casts and can you set something on the UI to tell you when an ability is recharged as I am not seeing this.

Also is there a set way to level up for a completely new player? I have done newb island and I now have a choice between "The Keep in the North" or "The Harbour". Does either give an advantage? I play solo almost exclusively as I am a social reject.
I am also a massive whale and I have unlocked the stuff from the store where I can start at level 4 and 7, which I have no intention of doing until I kind of know what to do, however I would like to know where to go to try these levels out. I think I have found Pirate Island [3 Keg Cove?] on one of my journeys but I am not sure what level this is for.

I have also unlocked some of the Iconic classes and have to admit that I have spent probably as much time making and deleting different builds of characters than I have spent in game killing stuffs. The starter screen is like a max/min-ers paradise.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Burt posted:

I am now tab targeting. I thought I was before but obviously not. I now just need to work out why half of my abilities don't fire when I press the key, is there a standard global cooldown for instant casts and can you set something on the UI to tell you when an ability is recharged as I am not seeing this.

There isn't really a global cooldown but you might still be casting the previous spell? The quicken metamagic might help you out here

quote:

Also is there a set way to level up for a completely new player? I have done newb island and I now have a choice between "The Keep in the North" or "The Harbour". Does either give an advantage? I play solo almost exclusively as I am a social reject.

The keep on the borderlands is alternate 1-4 level content. Its basically an alternative to korthos that is a lot less hand holdy. Your next area is going to be either the harbor or gatekeeper's grove. After that, you end up with a ton of choices (fewer choices without spending money).

I'd suggest running around the harbor doing quests and then talk to harbormaster zim (and do the waterworks) around level 5.

As far as advantage goes... not really. Its more about playing quests you haven't played before

quote:

I am also a massive whale and I have unlocked the stuff from the store where I can start at level 4 and 7, which I have no intention of doing until I kind of know what to do, however I would like to know where to go to try these levels out. I think I have found Pirate Island [3 Keg Cove?] on one of my journeys but I am not sure what level this is for.

This might be the reference you are looking for https://ddowiki.com/page/Quests_by_level_and_XP#Level_1_quests

quote:

I have also unlocked some of the Iconic classes and have to admit that I have spent probably as much time making and deleting different builds of characters than I have spent in game killing stuffs. The starter screen is like a max/min-ers paradise.

This problem is eternal in this game. There is even a mechanic by which you turn your level 20 into a level 1, get some bonuses and can make a new build.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Brilliant! Thanks for all that!

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Burt posted:

If you hold down the RMB it will also put a targeting reticle in the center of your screen, all spells and all attacks done without a hard target will default to that targeting area, there is targeting assist in your options menu as well which you can turn on or off depending on which one works best for you. As for plain old attacks, including with ranged weapons just hold down the LMB to fire off attacks, you don't have to have attack on and pick hard targets, you will swing away and if something is in the hitbox you'll hit it.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I had a play with my free dark gnome wizard last night, or I would have if I could have worked out what spells to take. Gods drat I have like eleventy hundred spells on my bars how the heck do i pick what to use?

Also my Skellington knight waving at me whenever summoned is all kinds of :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Burt posted:

I had a play with my free dark gnome wizard last night, or I would have if I could have worked out what spells to take. Gods drat I have like eleventy hundred spells on my bars how the heck do i pick what to use?

Also my Skellington knight waving at me whenever summoned is all kinds of :3:

I can only tell you what worked for me:

1. Carefully read each spell description and pick spells matching your 15 pieces of differently elemental bonused equipment
2. Assign each of 10 hotbars with each of the 100 different spells you need memorized for different occasions
3. Give up and play a barbarian