Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

TOOT BOOT posted:

your operating system is a piece of poo poo?

I am undone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
you meet two grayhats at a hackathon, one always lies and one always tells the truth. you want to know how to get to the edward snowden q & a livestream. what do you ask them?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I recently watched this video on programming a 6502 which I thought was a very clear demonstration how this works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl8vPW5hydQ

Obviously this isn't the first hardware or software, but you can totally see how the EPROM could be replaced with a tape reader that just seeks to the requested address. I never really had to look into how processors fetch data or instructions in detail but this immediately made sense in a way that blinking LEDs didn't.

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
I'd recommend working through Ben Eater's entire 8-bit CPU series (and build one!) It's great fun, isn't too expensive given the other hobbies in these threads and quite relaxing.

The only real caveat is buy nice breadboards. Shoddy power cause a lot of ghosts in the machine and frustrating issues. Don't skimp on the power supply either, mine is pulling down 2-3 amps at 5.2v or so.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the afterward i can make my own threadshafter?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FalseNegative posted:

I'd recommend working through Ben Eater's entire 8-bit CPU series (and build one!) It's great fun, isn't too expensive given the other hobbies in these threads and quite relaxing.

The only real caveat is buy nice breadboards. Shoddy power cause a lot of ghosts in the machine and frustrating issues. Don't skimp on the power supply either, mine is pulling down 2-3 amps at 5.2v or so.

Yeah the who series is great and I second the recommendation, but while I do have unreasonable amounts of patience, I think I'd start murdering people indiscriminately by the time I got eve a third of those wires down

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020

FalseNegative posted:

I just bought this a few days ago for my buddy's boy (12 years or so). Always wanted it for myself but couldn't justify the cost. Watched all the videos though. Quality stuff.

Loved this one in particular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7rce6IQDWs

Thanks for the tip on the power supply. I still have to source one, I'll make sure it's a decent one.

An cruiscin lan fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 16, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

the afterward i can make my own threadshafter?

is that like threadripper?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah but more penetrative

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

you meet two grayhats at a hackathon, one always lies and one always tells the truth. you want to know how to get to the edward snowden q & a livestream. what do you ask them?

should I use GPL code??

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

An cruiscin lan posted:

I just bought this a few days ago for my buddy's boy (12 years or so). Always wanted it for myself but couldn't justify the cost. Watched all the videos though. Quality stuff.

Loved this one in particular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7rce6IQDWs

Thanks for the tip on the power supply. I still have to source one, I'll make sure it's a decent one.

That's awesome! I hadn't realized he put together a kit. That's going to be an amazing project for that kid. I remember getting a RadioShack 300;1 kit. Great way to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

poty posted:

nobody knows op. the scientists have theories about a big gas explosion but thats just a guess tbh

they're asking about software, not your posts