Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

At some point after this Azeroth became the name of the entire world instead of just a country (presumably through retcon)?

I used to love warcraft lore, these days it mostly confuses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'm going to upload the final video of this LP tomorrow. I've uploaded two bonus videos that aren't part of the main game.

The first is an alternative introduction video that was included with this version. The audio suffers from horrendous desynchronisation so I've used the "Warcraft Adventures - Cutscenes Remaster Project" to (kind of) fix it. The original missed a lot of dialogue, the WACRP replaces the missing audio with robotic voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQXiOoqg8GU

The second video is a missing cutscene that belongs at the end of the fourth chapter. It seems like it was cut from this version because of changes to gameplay and they hadn't replaced the animation with the graphics that we have seen in previous cutscenes. It does set things up for chapter five though. This cutscene was missing from a debug menu, the WACRP restored the cutscene and made it accessible via the menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmuG6q2vstY

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 30, 2020

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
This game goes from silly to serious and back to silly again all the time. Looking forward to the last chapter! Also looking forward to the next game you'll LP.

The link to the missing cutscene is wrong btw, it links to the fifth video now.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Sjonkel posted:

This game goes from silly to serious and back to silly again all the time. Looking forward to the last chapter! Also looking forward to the next game you'll LP.

The link to the missing cutscene is wrong btw, it links to the fifth video now.

Thank you for letting me know, I've updated the link in the above post and in the OP. I think that I've made a decision about the next game. There's several that I've been putting off for a while, I've indulged in several more old school games in the Steam sales too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm going to upload the final video of this LP tomorrow. I've uploaded two bonus videos that aren't part of the main game.

The first is an alternative introduction video that was included with this version. The audio suffers from horrendous desynchronisation so I've used the "Warcraft Adventures Cutscene - Remaster Project" to (kind of) fix it. The original missed a lot of dialogue, the WACRP replaces the missing audio with robotic voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQXiOoqg8GU

The second video is a missing cutscene that belongs at the end of the fourth chapter. It seems like it was cut from this version because of changes to gameplay and they hadn't replaced the animation with the graphics that we have seen in previous cutscenes. It does set things up for chapter five though. This cutscene was missing from a debug menu, the WACRP restored the cutscene and made it accessible via the menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmuG6q2vstY
Very cool cutscenes, thank you for posting them (and the LP too of course). :)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the fifth and final chapter of this game and the final video of this LP. I'm not going to spoil too much about this video, we get to see more anatomy than I'd ever have imagined in this game, we meet a suspicious cow and we get to see how all this works out in the end.

This game was on my wishlist the moment I read about it in gaming magazines all those years ago, the cancellation was very disappointing at the time and through the time I slowly forgot about it. I still remember when Abandonia "uploaded" this as an April Fool's joke seven or 8 years ago, it was after the youtube videos but before the actual leaks. The first time I heard about the leak was when Vinesauce (Vinny) uploaded the recorded stream of it to Youtube, which I watched it and enjoyed but forgot about fairly quickly as my memory of it was non-existent going into this LP. It's been interesting to play, I was surprised at just how complete it is and I'm a little saddened that the potential of this game was never reached. It's a shame that this game hit development hell in such a short space of time and they couldn't pull it around quick enough. Throughout some mundaneness, there were some genuinely enjoyable moments and it was pretty amusing throughout.

Thank you, everyone, for being a part of it and sharing more information surrounding Thrall and how this game ties in with other Warcraft titles. This was a very enjoyable experience and I'm glad that I started it.

Chronomaster and Sanitarium have been hovering near the top of the list for a while now but I've decided that I'm going to LP the abandoned Doctor Who: The Adventure Games series next. I'm not really a fan of Doctor Who so I wouldn't expect fanboy reactions or deep discussions about the lore and such.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anyhow, great LP of a what could have been a really entertaining game (dwarves aside). Thank you for showing it off!

I really like the callbacks to how much simpler Warcraft lore used to be. Deathwing being Alexstrasza's son wasn't A Thing since Warcraft 3. And he's still around in WoW, by the way.

e: Oh, almost forgot - there's also a non-Warcraft reference in this one; based on that tankard in his belly, Deathwing visited Diablo at least once.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 1, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Oh wow, that map screen with WC2 buildings all over the place was delightful.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, that was pretty hardcore at the end. Thrall is a lot more... peaceful and shamanic in Warcraft 3. Doesn't seem the type to approve of using black magic to condemn your enemies to eternal torment, sort of thing.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Magic here seems to not be the later Warcraft kind.

Here Shaman can just.... drat people to hell and summon bone infrastructure. What separates them from Warlocks? Or even the Death Knight in this very video. Pretty much nothing. An interesting early glimpse of what Warcraft was/could have been.

THE BAR posted:

Oh wow, that map screen with WC2 buildings all over the place was delightful.

Agreed.

Big thanks to Rocket Baby Dolls. This was a treat and a delight.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

life_source posted:

Big thanks to Rocket Baby Dolls. This was a treat and a delight.

Yeah, thanks a bunch! It was a short, flawed, but ultimately sweet game.

....Sort of like ANOTHER CERTAIN GAME, come to think of it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ah, Blizzard, the game you could have made...

Thanks, RBD. Good journey.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

This was a lot of fun to watch. Thanks for showing it off.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
That was a lot better than I expected, even though it's not on the level of being a classic Blizzard game. I guess if there's ever a Warcraft 4, they could polish it up and release it as a preorder bonus like how Bethesda did with Doom 64 for Doom Eternal.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The silent response to 'use mouth on dragon anus' is excellent.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

life_source posted:

Magic here seems to not be the later Warcraft kind.

Here Shaman can just.... drat people to hell and summon bone infrastructure. What separates them from Warlocks? Or even the Death Knight in this very video. Pretty much nothing. An interesting early glimpse of what Warcraft was/could have been.
It is completely in line with Warcraft 1 and 2. All the shamanism/nature spirits/"no see we were actually peaceful before DEMONS CORRUPTED US" stuff comes from Warcraft 3. I guess to idea was to differentiate the orcs from the new undead faction.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The orcs were literally from Hell in WC1, and the humans were fighting in the name of Heaven.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I wasn't sure what to expect from this game, but I remember seeing advertisements for it back in the day and vaguely wondered what had ever become of it.

I was not expecting Optimus Prime and Tony Jay to give Lex Luthor a quest to blow up a dragon with a bear trap, as animated by the team that did Disney's Gargoyles.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Apart from the parts with dwarf women, this was surprisingly good. And compared to W3, Thrall was pretty drat hardcore. :v:

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Thanks for a great LP. Kinda weird that Deathwing is the main villain in the Cataclysm expansion of WoW, where he is alive and well (until the last raid when players kill him). Amusingly Thrall is a major character in that expansion, and is there when Deathwing is finally killed.

I guess it's hard to say when you see other people play, but is this game hard or easy compared to similar games at the time?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It seems to be about on the same level of adventure game logic you'd expect at the time.
Probably more fun because the protagonist actually gets to use violence on the horrible assholes who stand in the way, adventure games being so pacifist at the time that Full Throttle caused a bit of a stir.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Sjonkel posted:

Thanks for a great LP. Kinda weird that Deathwing is the main villain in the Cataclysm expansion of WoW, where he is alive and well (until the last raid when players kill him). Amusingly Thrall is a major character in that expansion, and is there when Deathwing is finally killed.

I guess it's hard to say when you see other people play, but is this game hard or easy compared to similar games at the time?

I think he's the one who kills him, too? Something about a magic rock that he zaps him with?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Sjonkel posted:

Thankfully, there was a walkthrough available going into this. It did suffer from some "adventure game logic" but on the whole, it wasn't too hard to navigate. Even though this game can be completed from start to finish, it was incomplete and most of what this version did contain was the main meat of the game and not much else. There are a few things that make progression harder though but that's down to the status of the game.

There was a lot of background scenery and objects which only had, I hope, temporary and generic filler dialogue for 90% of it. As the game progressed, it suffered more and more with background scenery without any descriptive text at all and the interaction was only the generic responses. A lot of the characters were missing voice acting and some had no dialogue trees at all, the dialogue generally contains the main meat of the game and not much else. This is also a problem when it comes to completing tasks as it's clearly evident with missing dialogue that there are no helpful hints coming from Thrall himself or from other people. The limited inventory combined with a lack of background filler makes experimentation less of a chore.

It's very hard to compare this to other adventure games at the time because of it's current state and it was worked on for at least another month or two before cancellation. I did a detailed LP of The Curse Of Monkey Island many years ago which ended up being six hours long, this LP was three hours in total. But to be fair, I didn't have to deal with insult sword fighting, singing barbers or Dinghy Dog!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sjonkel posted:

Deathwing got retconned to hell and back too. Notice than in this game, Alexstrasza refers to him as her son.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Deathwing got retconned to hell and back too. Notice than in this game, Alexstrasza refers to him as her son.

Having seen this image before the LP, I assumed she wanted Thrall to kick him out of her basement and get a job already.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's right, it's one of the ones that were in every magazine, along with the drunken orcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's interesting, because I don't think Thrall can ever get into that position in the game.