Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
:siren:
Four Missions (55:53)

A lot of micro-management/pausing in this one, where the gimmick is four maps in one. I did find it intruiging that this does affect the pacing quite a bit, as there's pretty much always something needing to be done in one part of the map or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I see the latest CW4 patch brings, among other things, the option to make missions where nullifiers permanently destroy enemy units like in CW3.

I hope they make some neat maps with that, exploding emitters was always so satisfying in CW3.
If modders also figure out how to add power zones again from exploding enemies and have it so that units can doubly powered up if you put them both in a power zone and give them an ern, that could lead to some interesting stuff.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Overall I wasn't a fan of power zones, but overloading is a cool addition and should definitely lead to some interesting places.

Cheap Construction (31:39)

Back to Span Experiments, where we answer the question 'what if most of the land between us and the enemy just wasn't there anymore'?

Next up, I think I'm finally ready to put a cap on this with possibly the most difficult conventional map I've found. It's #521 in the Colonies, for anyone who wants a peek at it early.

Edit: link removed until I fix the latest editing screwup.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 10, 2021

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Play As Creeper Is Back (53:49)

Not an April Fool's joke :). The other map I referenced I'm not going to be doing anytime soon due to a minor bug that complicates the approach I was going to take. If it ever gets fixed then, perhaps. PAC maps are starting to proliferate now, so I thought it would be worth throwing in the CW4 implementation of those.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Great concept, but doesn't look that fun to play and a bit grindy.

You got through it quickly but pity those who spent hours beating it.

Really impressed by how moddable the game seems to be and what community have done with that, for example the FPS level.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
For being the first of the PAC maps, it's not perfect, but it does a good job of showing the potential of the PAC game mode.
Some of the future maps have made great improvements to the game mode. Mesh was updated from a building that replaces itself with mesh terrain when flooded to a terraforming-like paint system makes it much easier to utilize mesh in maps. A couple levels use the auto-build AI to actively combat your units, though these maps are sometimes unfair once the AI hits critical mass. A variant that adds units that absorb creep to produce 1-time attack waves of blobs/eggs/spores.
And probably the one with the most potential is the merger of the PAC game mode with the Cursor Generation game mode, that creates creep when mousing over existing creep. This gives the much needed ability to direct the flow of creep, which is one aspect the CW3 PAC maps had that hadn't been implemented in the map you demonstrated.

For just the base PAC gameplay, though, the Fortress PAC map (#1092) is an amazing map. Multiple starting locations, each quadrant having it's own set of defenders requiring their own strategies to combat, and it never felt like a slog.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Backing the rec for Fortress PAC. Pretty sure one corner is objectively better than the others due to the number of easy ERNS you can get before charging up any hills, but it's probably the best map so far.The variant ones are more fun at first, but the maps get very, very grindy. Nothing says "apply head to wall, repeat" like firing hundreds and hundreds of spores en-masse (admittedly in batches of 40-50 every few seconds) and making 0 progress because you're actually trying to exhaust 12 (15?) Thors of their ammo.

The cursor fusion is a good idea as well, but the mechanics probably need to be tweaked. I could only make real progress in that map by using the cursor to push forward due to the sheer amount of AC, and at no point did the structures actually threaten my cursor creep unless I got impatient and moved around too much. My PAC structures practically didn't exist for anything other than physically blocking the AI from pushing into my territory, and that's not what I'm really looking for in a PAC map.

Maybe nerf the overall cursor effect a great deal so you can tone back the AC, and it'll make it so you still need structure support to get past any areas with built-up defenses. I could give a thumbs-up at that point.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Strategic Sage, you got a shout-out in a recently released fan appreciation map (Map ID 1370: Cursor-06 Names). The creator made the map highlighting a bunch of CW3 and CW4 content creators, and you are mentioned alongside another youtube channel PRG. Just wanted to mention this, and also echo the thanks for all you've put into the series.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

You're welcome! As cool as that is, I took a look at the map and ... I'm not on it. PRG is, and DarkRubberNeck is, not sure where you thought I was referenced?

In any case it is a neat idea.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Strategic Sage posted:

You're welcome! As cool as that is, I took a look at the map and ... I'm not on it. PRG is, and DarkRubberNeck is, not sure where you thought I was referenced?

In any case it is a neat idea.

It's in the PRG Data Cache. Sorry, I didn't mention that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Ah ok I have to play it to see it. Fair enough.