Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I asked about this is in the "small questions" thread and was told it's ok to hang weight from your ceiling, but I am still too nervous and want a second or third opinion.

I bought these on Amazon:

They're for various body-weight exercises. I generally like to use them for pulling, wherein I lie down underneath them and pull myself up toward wherever they are suspended from. If I'm to do that, the best place to suspend them would be from the ceiling. However, I really, really don't want to gently caress up the floor joists (they'll be in the basement). Another, worse option is to install the anchor high on the wall. This isn't ideal, but if it's the only safe way then I'll live with it.

Here is the anchor I bought:

And here are the gigantic screws that came with it:

And for good measure, a rough view of the space I'm working with (that little black thing in up in the corner is my magnetic stud finder):

So, my questions for this thread are:

1) Can I screw this anchor to a joist in the ceiling and then yank on it? I weigh ~155lbs.
2) Does it matter whether I have engineering I-beams or some other kind of joist?
3) If the ceiling is a bad idea, what's a good way to attach it to the wall? I found a stud, but these screws really are gigantic and I'm nervous even about using a wall stud (what if I just nick the side of it, what if it splits, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Unfortunately nobody's going to be able to give you a really definitive answer, and if you're really unsure the best way to confirm is to talk to a structural engineer.

That said, I agree with the broad conclusion of the fix it fast thread which is that it should be fine, joists are quite strong. I would be more worried about pulling the bolts out than actually damaging the joists.

You could always use two joists if you wanted, either by attaching some wood to both and then your anchor to the wood, or with two anchors. Just make sure you wind up with something more like a top rope trad anchor and not an American death triangle.

I have no experience with engineered joists so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
Is there any part of your basement that is unfinished where you can take a look at the joists? Or even if you are able to look around an air vent or light fixture....

Is the top bar of your dip rack load bearing? If the base doesn't interfere with your exercises it might be easier to just sling the top bar.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Sound_man posted:

Is there any part of your basement that is unfinished where you can take a look at the joists? Or even if you are able to look around an air vent or light fixture....

Is the top bar of your dip rack load bearing? If the base doesn't interfere with your exercises it might be easier to just sling the top bar.

That's a good idea to take off the air vent and light fixture. I'll try that.

As for the dip rack: yes, that bar on the top would be perfect (that was my original idea, as that's how these things are anchored at Planet Fitness), except the whole stupid thing topples when you try! I can do pull-ups on it just fine, but it seems like any force in a direction it wasn't designed for is bad news.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

LargeHadron posted:

That's a good idea to take off the air vent and light fixture. I'll try that.

As for the dip rack: yes, that bar on the top would be perfect (that was my original idea, as that's how these things are anchored at Planet Fitness), except the whole stupid thing topples when you try! I can do pull-ups on it just fine, but it seems like any force in a direction it wasn't designed for is bad news.

Now you get to bolt something into the floor instead :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

LargeHadron posted:

drat, depending on how many plates of weight or dumbbells you have around you could have that attached to the short side of the rack so you can use it for counterweight. But either way it sounds like you've got a (small) project on your hands.